BellaOnline
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Applying to Multiple Online Schools - 02/15/10 02:00 AM
I know when people apply to regular brick and mortar schools after high school they apply to several. That way they can see who accepts them and make a decision from there.

Do people apply to multiple online schools? I have two schools I'm trying to choose between - Penn State and Northeastern. Both have good and down sides. I'm really curious of course about how much financial aid I'd get from both. Is it kosher to apply to both knowing I'll have to turn down one?
I wouldn't think twice about it, it's a critical decision point for you that you can't know about until after you are accepted. People do it with brick and mortar schools all the time. There is no reason it should be different because the schools have online programs. Beside, while I think either program would be lucky to have you, you can't know that you'll get into both.

Julie
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Applying to Multiple Online Schools - 02/15/10 04:23 AM
That's very true, Julie. It's a standard thing with regular after-high-school applications. And after all I'm not applying to 10 different ones, just two!
Posted By: Apryl Re: Applying to Multiple Online Schools - 02/15/10 10:14 PM
I completely agree. I would personally apply to both schools. It will cost you the application fees and the costs to have your transcripts sent to both schools but it will allow you to make the most informed decision. You can list both schools on your FAFSA application.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Applying to Multiple Online Schools - 02/17/10 12:42 AM
OK I have sent in the 2 applications! Northeastern was free to apply to, so I only had to pay for the Penn State application.

For transcripts, Harvard sends them for free, and WPI only charges $4 each. So that was not an issue, and those requests are in at both schools.

The only place that didn't have this all online and easy was my high school! I have a query in to them to figure out how to get them to send in the transcripts from there.

I'm very surprised that neither school wants my SATs! Isn't that a bit unusual?

So the only part pending right now is hearing from my high school about how to start the transcript process there. I suppose the next step is to work on my FASFA application, I suppose there's no harm in starting that part! I'm a bit nervous about jinxing myself, what if neither school accepts me? But I suppose it's better to plow ahead with high hopes.
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: Applying to Multiple Online Schools - 02/17/10 02:38 AM
Congrats on taking those first action steps, Lisa! And, do start on FASFA--I would bet both schools accept you, but worst case, if they don't, you'll have that done and can proceed to apply to the next school(s) on your list.

And, you don't strike me as the superstitious type anyway, although I completely understand--I think we all have those moments of "magical thinking".

How exciting for you. I'm excited for you!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Applying to Multiple Online Schools - 02/17/10 06:55 AM
It does feel nice to have all the "research" work behind me and to have everything sent off. Now I just wait and see what they say, and go from there!
Lisa, you must be really excited waiting to hear back from your 2 schools. I am so happy that you have taken the steps to move forward with goal in your life now. It really does boost your confidence to take positive steps towards your goals. I'm sure you will be accepted by both schools too but as Deb said, if not you just move on to the next on your list. But I think you will have to make a decision between the two. Be sure to let us know how it works out for you.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Applying to Multiple Online Schools - 02/20/10 12:02 AM
Thank you so much, I appreciate that a lot! I don't know that I'm excited as much as I am worried. I invested a ton of time into the research process - time that I had to take away from other projects. So this has the potential of making all that time and energy worthless smile
© BellaOnline Forums