BellaOnline
Check out our latest articles on Free Open Courses from Top Universities.

Free Open Courses at Top Universities

Have you ever attended any of these courses? If so, did you find the course useful? Are there other Open Courses available from top universities not listed in this article?

I look forward to reading your feedback.

Thank you.
Interesting article Patricia. They are beginning to look at similar things here in the UK. The Open University, the UK's expert in distance learning, offere free materials through OpenLearn.
Thanks Asha, I'm glad you enjoyed the article. There seems to be a wide variety of open courses available today. It will be interesting to see how this evolves in the future.

Thanks for your feedback.
Posted By: Angie Re: Free Open Courses at Top Universities - 01/19/13 08:39 PM
I recently signed up for the free course Western Heritage at Hillsdale College. The course has been completed but it is archived. I signed up for it after its first run.

[url=onlinecourses@hillsdale.edu]Hillsdale College Online Courses[/url]
Hi Angie:

What did you think of the free course? Were you able to attend?
Posted By: Angie Re: Free Open Courses at Top Universities - 01/22/13 10:28 AM
I attended one so far. The first class in Western Heritage is an overview and tells a little about the college. There were questions posted in the forum and the follow up answered those questions.
This is wonderful information. Thanks for posting it! I'm looking at 3 courses and will let you know if I ever take and complete them.
Thanks Alice! I'd love to hear about your experience taking free classes. Seems like these days, free classes should be considered a gift! I'm curious if they are just overview classes or if you actually walk away learning something of value. Keep me posted.
Posted By: vijaykumar Re: Free Open Courses at Top Universities - 01/22/13 11:47 PM
Great information. Thanks for sharing. ____ [url=http://www.readersclub.co.in]Best children library[/url]
Vijaykumar:

Interesting website. I guess virtual learning is environmentally friendly. Never thought of it that way.

Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Angie Re: Free Open Courses at Top Universities - 01/26/13 09:02 PM
I listened to the second session - The professor discussed Genesis. The Hebrews left us sacred literature. He covered five themes and the themes of "law and prophets" and "kingship" were very interesting. Actually, it was all interesting.

The course is entitled From From the Book of Genesis to John Locke.
That does sound interesting. Do you find the courses are more of just a lecture, or do they last a couple of months like regular college courses?
Posted By: Angie Re: Free Open Courses at Top Universities - 02/02/13 01:18 PM
Patricia, they are lectures; originally one a week but now they are archived. There were message boards from the original lectures and the questions and comments were discussed in a separate video. The nice thing here is that if you desire you can listen to the lecture again.

There is a quiz as well.
Angie: Sounds like a pretty thorough lesson for being free. I'll have to check a few out myself. I think I'm more interested in the creative classes, like Photography or Writing.

Thanks for sharing.
I love that universities are opening up their courses to the masses. I hear so many people complain that you don't receive college credit for the courses. Personally, I think being able to learn from top professors is a great opportunity, even without earning credits!
I agree. It's the knowledge gained from attending these free online courses that count. You never know what will inspire that next great idea!

Thanks for your feedback Nicole!
© BellaOnline Forums