BellaOnline
Explore your thoughts by putting them down in writing without censoring yourself:

Stream of Consciousness Writing
Posted By: leahmullen Re: Stream of Consciousness Writing - 06/20/10 12:52 AM
Deb, this is a great idea. Those who participate in National Write a Book in a Month challenges swear by this method!
Posted By: flower70 Re: Stream of Consciousness Writing - 06/21/10 10:29 AM
My sister has told me the majority of my life, to write my thoughts down, but i don�t feel comfortable doing this, what if somebody reads my thoughts,that has no buisiness reading them. They belong to me.
Leah - I can't imagine trying to write a book in one month!

Flower - The major point in doing the writing is getting your thoughts out of your head and on to the paper. You are right - it isn't anyone's business but you're own AND you need to be able to write everything you are thinking without having to edit it for the possibility that someone else will be reading it! If you're worried about someone reading your writing, you could always burn or shred the papers when you're finished. You could also invest in a lock box to keep your papers in.
Posted By: flower70 Re: Stream of Consciousness Writing - 06/22/10 06:51 AM
Debbie, you are right about that,burning them sounds good. I will try free writing with out editing, and shortly after i will burn it.
Let me know how it works for you!
Sometimes I like being able to look over what I've written in the past to see how I have or have not progressed in certain areas. Other times, the simple act of writing things out gives me the clarity I was looking for in the situation and I don't need to reread the information again.

Good Luck!
Posted By: flower70 Re: Stream of Consciousness Writing - 07/01/10 10:01 AM
Hi Debbie, so i�ve written some thought down, and i didn�t burn them i decided to lock them up so i can take at a look at them at a later time in life, it might come in useful later. And i feel better now that i�ve let some thought out, like a stone taken off my chest. Thanks for the addvise.
Hi Flower,
Thank you for sharing! I'm so glad it's helping you. I hope you find what you're looking for within your own words smile

Posted By: kalb Re: Stream of Consciousness Writing - 08/06/10 07:43 AM
A Moonlit Night On The Spring River In spring the river rises as high as the sea, And with the river's rise the moon uprises bright. She follows the rolling waves for ten thousand li, And where the river flows, there overflows her light. The river winds around the fragrant islet where The blooming flowers in her light all look like snow. You cannot tell her beams from hoar frost in the air, Nor from white sand upon Farewell Beach below. No dust has stained the water blending with the skies; A lonely wheel like moon shines brilliant far and wide. Who by the riverside first saw the moon arise? When did the moon first see a man by riverside? Ah, generations have come and pasted away; From year to year the moons look alike, old and new. We do not know tonight for whom she sheds her ray, But hear the river say to its water adieu. Away, away is sailing a single cloud white; On Farewell Beach pine away maples green. Where is the wanderer sailing his boat tonight? Who, pining away, on the moonlit rails would learn? Alas! The moon is lingering over the tower; It should have seen the dressing table of the fair. She rolls the curtain up and light comes in her bower; She washes but can't wash away the moonbeams there. She sees the moon, but her beloved is out of sight; She'd follow it to shine on her beloved one's face. But message-bearing swans can't fly out of moonlight, Nor can letter-sending fish leap out of their place. Last night he dreamed that falling flowers would not stay. Alas! He can't go home, although half spring has gone. The running water bearing spring will pass away; The moon declining over the pool will sink anon. The moon declining sinks into a heavy mist; It's a long way between southern rivers and eastern seas. How many can go home by moonlight who are missed? The sinking moon sheds yearning o'er riverside trees. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://www.linksjewelleryin.com/charms.html]links of london charms[/url]/[url=http://www.linksjewelleryin.com/rings.html]links of london rings[/url]/[url=http://www.linksjewelleryin.com/watches.html]links of london watches[/url]
Posted By: flower70 Re: Stream of Consciousness Writing - 08/06/10 08:14 PM
Interesting.
I do that often during times right after meditating and praying. I have what I call "prayer journals." I've written in them for years. I have written things in 1996 that I had absolutely no connection at the time, then I've gone back and read it 10 years later, and a light goes on. I write whatever comes into my spirit during those quiet moments without editing, monitoring my thoughts, or criticizing what I wrote.
Julia Cameron in her book The Artists Way talks of writing Morning Pages in this stream of consciousness type form.

Also, many, many years ago I found a book by Peter Elbow called Writing Without Teachers helpful - he talked of Freewriting, writing without stopping...
Posted By: alexa123 Re: Stream of Consciousness Writing - 10/20/10 08:51 AM
Very interesting...!!! Good luck.
Within a week or two after writing this article, I pulled my copy of The Artists Way off of my shelf and started reading it again. Although I enjoy using the stream of consciousness writing style, I had completely forgotten about her "morning pages" smile No matter what name you give it, it is definitely a very powerful way of writing.

I'll have to check out the book by Peter Elbow also, Thank you, Asha.
I realise re. the Peter Elbow book I wrote "writing without stopping" when of course you have to stop at some point! The important thing was to write for a designated length of time and keep writing, not take your pen off the paper (or I guess stop typing), but to keep writing something. Let me know what you think of the book when you get round to it Debbie.

Posted By: lizayuen Re: Stream of Consciousness Writing - 10/28/10 04:24 AM
Wow, this is interesting, writing what inside our mind and thoughts. Cool and exciting.
Asha - I'll definitely let you know smile I appreciate the suggestion!

lizayuen - Cool and exciting indeed, sometimes you'll even surprise yourself with the "stuff" that's in there.
Posted By: lizayuen Re: Stream of Consciousness Writing - 11/11/10 04:24 AM
"Cool and exciting indeed, sometimes you'll even surprise yourself with the "stuff" that's in there."

Really, that's cool I will try that when i got home. Thanks.

© BellaOnline Forums