BellaOnline
Posted By: SpiritualArtist Your Most Memorable Book - 07/06/08 06:08 PM
What's the most memorable book you've ever read? It might have been the book you just last read or it might be a book you read 10 years ago. Fiction or non-fiction? Do you have the book in your possession?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Your Most Memorable Book - 07/06/08 07:09 PM
I have a very, very old copy of Jane Eyre that I have read once a year since I was a young teen. The book was very old when I bought it in a used book store. Jane Eyre is one of the most romantic fiction novels I have ever read and I feel such a strong connection to the character. Maybe I had a similar life in a past life. I saw the original movie and the one they remade about 8 years ago. I have not seen the newest version.

Posted By: joanj Re: Your Most Memorable Book - 07/06/08 08:36 PM
I think the most memorable book I ever read was Katherine by Anya Seton. It's historical fiction, which I used to read a lot. I've read that book several times tho.
Posted By: BellaShorts Re: Your Most Memorable Book - 07/06/08 08:56 PM
Oh Joan - fancy you mentioning Katherine by Anya Seton! I remember while the history teacher was droning on about Henry 1st, we were reading more interesting history under our desks!

I loved that book!

Do you like Jeanette Winterson too?
Posted By: SpiritualArtist Re: Your Most Memorable Book - 07/07/08 07:40 PM
Well I have many memorable books, but I said list one so I would say the book Women Who Run With the Wolves, Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Este, Ph.D. was the most memorable because it has many individual fictional folklore stories that stuck with me. One in particular that I liked was "Sealskin, Soulskin". I first read it over 10 years ago and I still have it on my bookshelf, picking it up from time to time to read again.
Ack! Ack! 1 book???

Ummmmmm, I think the one that probably affected me the most profoundly and actually made me start challenging the way I thought would be "Childhood's End" by Arthur C. Clarke.

I can't say it is my favorite book, or the one I read over and over again - but whenever I think of books that have impact, this is the one that always comes to mind.
Posted By: BellaShorts Re: Your Most Memorable Book - 07/07/08 10:03 PM
Is that the author that died recently? Didn't he write 'The Sentinel?'
Yes and yes. "The Sentinel" is the short story that Clarke wrote that led to his writing "2001: A Space Odyssey".
Posted By: Vance - Crime Editor Re: Your Most Memorable Book - 07/07/08 10:29 PM
I, too, have read many memorable books but my most memorable was definitely the Amityville Horror.

It was the first and only book I have ever read in one sitting. I just could not put it down.
Posted By: SpiritualArtist Re: Your Most Memorable Book - 07/08/08 12:08 AM
Oh, good one, Vance.

Yeah, I actually liked the book better than the movie.
Posted By: Vance - Crime Editor Re: Your Most Memorable Book - 07/08/08 12:26 AM
I like most books better than their movies because so much is cut out for time sake in a movie.
Posted By: JuliaHinton Re: Your Most Memorable Book - 07/09/08 12:30 AM
The Power Of One- I read it as a child and then saw the movie a few years back and realised I knew the ending- even though I probably didnt understand it completely as achild. Then I read it again after high school. Similar also was To Kill a Mocking Bird.
Posted By: SpiritualArtist Re: Your Most Memorable Book - 07/09/08 01:17 AM
I just read the summary of The Power of One on Wikipedia. It's definitely a book that I want to read. It looks like the kind of book that really makes you think long and hard. I would imagine if you read it too young it would be hard to decipher. Seems like a real War & Peace kind of book.
Posted By: Nancy Roussy Re: Your Most Memorable Book - 04/22/15 12:06 PM
Velocity by Dean Koontz. That book left me scared out of my mind. When I started it it was night time and I was sitting next a window with the blinds opened. When I finally looked up I saw that it was pitch black outside, there was a big tree just by that window and I was afraid a psychopath was standing right there. And that night every dark corners in my home scared me. I was even scared for the first time of what was in my closet and under my bed, I was even scared of what was inside my drawers.
It would have to be The Hobbit. It was printed in green. That's why I picked it up at the library many, many moons ago.
© BellaOnline Forums