BellaOnline
Posted By: IH8FMS Journaling on the Computer - 07/10/09 04:22 AM
Hi, everyone! I just discovered this place! So pardon me if I get talkity here... I've been writing journals and diaries for 44 years now. I've changed formats many times; started out with a little page-a-day diary book, evolved to blank cloth books, and about 12 years ago, when writing became physically uncomfortable for me, I broke down and started keeping my journal on the computer. I was afraid it wouldn't feel the same, and that I would not be able to get used to it. Well, it's not the same, of course, but it is just as enjoyable in its own way! I started out in Microsoft Word, and gradually, as I learned Word and computers in general, was able to make my own template for my journal. (I wound up sending my template to Microsoft, and it's available on their site for downloading!) I also use a neat program called simply [url=http://www.davidrm.com/]The Journal[/url] The Journal! I don't do blogging; just my personal journal, and it is saved on a flash drive. I don't blog because I'm quite sure no one else would be interested in my writing. It's strictly a "me-thing". My latest fun journaling tool is a netbook! Got a wonderful price on a refurbished Acer- it is just made for my journal writing! Anyone else do the computer journaling or digital diary thing? Be Well, ja
I do maintain several blogs and online journals but I don't have the same mental freedom with those as I do in my personal old-fashioned-hold-it-in-my-hand journal.

I would like to explore some software though that would allow me to journal OFF LINE where I would feel the contents were more private. :-)

Angela <><
Posted By: IH8FMS Re: Journaling on the Computer - 07/13/09 03:38 AM
I started out in Microsoft Word when I wass still pretty new to computers! I basically pulled up a page and started writing... I learned as I went along, all about different fonts, colors and effects, as well as inserting images. It evolved into my own template, which I eventually sent to Microsoft, where it graces their website! :-) I eventually went on a search for journaling software. There are SO many programs, and each one has its different features. Most have a free trial period, so one can try out the program and see if it fits. Everyone needs and wants something different, so you can still do it your own way! And when I saw this new-to-me refurbished netbook on sale, I simply couldn't resist! It's a perfect size and has all the features I need. I think it was made for journaling!
Posted By: IH8FMS Re: Journaling on the Computer - 08/05/09 05:28 AM
If anyone is interested in trying a nice FREEWARE journaling program, I recommend this one... BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: IH8FMS Re: Journaling on the Computer - 08/05/09 05:30 AM
Okay, what is UBB code?
Posted By: BellaOnline Re: Journaling on the Computer - 09/18/09 03:11 AM
We don't allow newbies to come on and start posting links because that is what spammers do smile Once you become a well known poster you'll get the ability to post links.

I tend to journal on paper for privacy, and on line for anything public!
Posted By: sarahredhawk5 Re: Journaling on the Computer - 10/05/09 03:49 AM
I just recently started to blog, which I must say I am having a blast with. Now I know this doesn't make sense but as far as journaling I still like my hand held, hand written journal, for I write things in there I want no one else to see. My deepest, darkest secrets and thoughts. But if you think about it my family will most likely read them when I die. So I saw the post on that Freeware and am going to look into that because I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and it gets a little too painful to write at times so I don't put all my thoughts down because it begins to hurt too bad. So maybe I will look into the online journals (oh yeah, the journals are also so pretty that you can handwrite that they catch my eye. Sarah Redhawk
Posted By: AnaMaree Re: Journaling on the Computer - 10/06/09 05:30 AM
I just downloaded the free trial of this software and I already love it! Time to start saving my money, this is what I have been looking for. I want a journal for me and a way to arrange many of the journal entries into a format to right a book.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Journaling on the Computer - 10/15/09 07:56 AM
For people who have hand pain, first for writing, I suggest gel pens. I used to have writing by hand because it hurt my hands, and it was amazing to me how much smoother it was with a gel pen! I get ones with squishy barrels so it doesn't hurt my fingers.

If even that is too painful for you, look into Dragon speech recognition software. Then you don't have to type at all. You just talk into the microphone and it transcribes. It does an *awesome* job of it! You can do it in bed even, just lay back and talk, with your laptop by your side smile
Posted By: Lynn Ann Re: Journaling on the Computer - 10/18/09 10:01 PM
I have problems using my computher to journal because I find myself stopping to correct mistakes...and sometimes I want to journal and don't want to wait for the computer to start up.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Journaling on the Computer - 10/30/09 05:48 AM
Lynn Ann - I keep my computer on all the time. I believe that keeping your computer on is healthier for your computer vs starting it up and shutting it down, all the "wear and tear" of those processes. I do admit it consumes a bit more electricity though if that's a factor for you. Maybe it's offset by the knowledge that your computer will die an earlier death otherwise?
Posted By: Lynn Ann Re: Journaling on the Computer - 10/31/09 06:10 PM
Leaving my computer on all the time would be nice, but there is a security issue. I work all day and I don't know who comes and goes when my husband is home. Whether it is locked or not, somebody always has to invade my personal computer.
Posted By: Lynn Ann Re: Journaling on the Computer - 10/31/09 06:36 PM
Okay I read Ms. Garcia's notes on using a journaling software applicationa and was hoping to try some free verisons. Don't know where to start. Anbybody have suggestions????
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Journaling on the Computer - 11/02/09 12:38 AM
Lynn Ann - that's so sad that you can't feel your computer is secure!! I definitely agree with shutting it down then. OK so maybe keep a little notebook in your purse, for times you want to jot down thoughts and not wait for the computer?
Posted By: Lynn Ann Re: Journaling on the Computer - 11/03/09 04:09 AM
Actually I'm making notes during the day and putting them into written form in the evenings. And this helops me write an hour a day too, my new goal
Posted By: IH8FMS Re: Journaling on the Computer - 11/08/09 10:32 AM
Admittedly this is veering a wee bit off-topic, but isn't it interesting how every few years the so-called experts change their minds about whether we should shut down our computers at night or leave them on, perhaps in some sort of slumber mode, 24/7? Reminds me of coffee... they change their minds about that every few years too. It's bad, it's good, it's neutral, well, it's good but only IF...
Posted By: IH8FMS Re: Journaling on the Computer - 11/29/09 06:45 PM
Best way to find a journal program that works for YOU is to download a few and try them...

Rather than post links, I'll just steer ya to Google or Bing (I'm liking Bingbetter the more I use it!) and search for:

Journal freeware

journal diary software

Journal free software

etc.

You'll be busy for hours!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Journaling on the Computer - 12/15/09 12:52 AM
IH8FMS - I think with computers it's more that computers have evolved over time. In the old days they got VERY hot and it would be risky to leave them on. Modern computers are far better!
Posted By: IH8FMS Re: Journaling on the Computer - 12/19/09 03:09 PM
AnaMaree, which program did you get? Are you still using it?
Posted By: IH8FMS Re: Journaling on the Computer - 12/19/09 03:13 PM
Lisa- you are so right on!

That is a whole 'nother journaling topic right there. The so-called "good old days" versus now, with all the new technology.

Since my good old days weren't all that good (long, long story; many tear-soaked diary books, now long-gone, destroyed in fits of angst and fears of them being read, which would have had dire consequences), I'll take NOW!
Posted By: kkgarcia Re: Journaling on the Computer - 12/31/09 08:42 PM
The best thing I find about journaling in a software application is the look up capabilities ~ I have found that searching for a specific entry with years of journals is nearly impossible when they are all handwritten
Posted By: IH8FMS Re: Journaling on the Computer - 01/03/10 07:45 PM
Oh, I agree! I have also discovered the wonderful world of fonts- all the cool ones I can use for different things, such as lists or special asides to myself, and of course inserting images is a joy.

I had the opportunity to assist with beta-testing a wonderful journal-writing program called simply "The Journal"- and it was a lot of fun. It was also a nice feeling when the developer incorporated a few of my ideas into the program, such as text wrapping around images.

I have found that the spontaneity that I do miss about hand-writing my journal is well-compensated with all the fun stuff I can do digitally.
© BellaOnline Forums