BellaOnline
Posted By: ians58 Should we apologise for being deaf? - 05/28/11 12:55 PM
You know what it's like, you're in a shop, store, bar or restaurant and there's either music or other background noise. Or the person serving you doesn't look at you when they speak and you don't hear or understand what they've said. What's your normal response? Does anyone ever find themselves saying "I'm sorry, I'm deaf, can you say that again please?" I've become aware that I do this a lot when I don't hear what someone has said. Just wondered if anyone else does this and wehy do we or why should we apologise for our deafness?
Posted By: .... Re: Should we apologise for being deaf? - 05/28/11 04:34 PM
My pizza delivery guy, George is deaf. He smiled and said to me right off, "Please look at me when you speak so we'll understand each other."
No apologies, no awkwardness, just up front honesty. My cousin uses the phrase, "pardon?" instead of I'm sorry. No one should apologize for being deaf!
No we shouldn't apologise. It's not something we did or could help so there is nothing to be sorry for. I like your Pizza delivery guy's approach.

I usually say 'Say that again'. Sometimes I say what I heard which usually has similar sounds and cadence but makes no sense. Sometimes this is quite funny
Apologize if you feel like it, but I don't think that it's necessary. A simple, "I'm deaf. Would you _________ "(whatever you need them to do).

You do have a right to get your needs met.
© BellaOnline Forums