BellaOnline
Meditation clears debris from our thinking; takes us from self-centeredness to self-giving. And, it is when our heart is expanding that we grow into our full human nature which is really part of our divine nature.

Can Meditation Lead to Self Realization?

What are your thoughts on this?
Hi Susan,

Absolutely! Meditation does lead to answers. I kind of look at it like dial-up internet. It isn't exactly the fastest, but once you make that connection...you type in your search and many things begin to display.

From the things that do, click on one and a lot more information comes to the surface!
Hi Elleise,

I agree that the information from meditation just snowballs for the ultimate good as time and practice continue, anyhow, that's what I've discovered. And, more good leads to more good ...
Hello Susan, You are so right, "good having good thoughts when going into meditation deliver more good ways to see our own potential." As I have discovered most people use meditation to ask for mundane things, instead of asking for more courage to do the things they would most like to be doing. Just imagine if everyone who meditated ask to be shown what they could accomplish if they just followed their dreams? They would be more productive, have more patience with their fellow humans, be more relaxed and involved with their children. Sending out that simple request would deliver it to their environment in a short time, making this a more peaceful world, and at the same time they would be growing spiritually. Do you agree that using meditation to visualize your dreams is a way to stay healthy too?
One of my favourite meditation stories:

A novice monk ran up to the head of the monastery very exited:

"Master! Master!" he cried "I was meditating when suddenly I was raised to a higher plane I saw all the Gods and Goddesses, the bodhisattvas, and all manner of wonderful things!"

The Abbot smiled and placed his hand on the monks shoulder

"Keep meditating" he said gently "They'll fade after a while"

Motto:

If you focus on the leaf - you fail to perceive the tree.
Ian, I love that story!

It reminds me that rather than ask for particular objects to ask for the greater good of the situation, allowing for many more ideas to come to mind.

Love the meditation story Ian, it is a keeper.

The motto that comes from it is so true, and obvious, but sometimes we do need to be reminded of just that.

Posted By: Burt B. Re: Can Meditation Lead to Self Realization? - 11/05/11 12:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Ninjahedgewych
One of my favourite meditation stories:

A novice monk ran up to the head of the monastery very exited:

"Master! Master!" he cried "I was meditating when suddenly I was raised to a higher plane I saw all the Gods and Goddesses, the bodhisattvas, and all manner of wonderful things!"

The Abbot smiled and placed his hand on the monks shoulder

"Keep meditating" he said gently "They'll fade after a while"

Motto:

If you focus on the leaf - you fail to perceive the tree.

God, I Love That !! If I had that one piece of advise when I first started my spiritual journey.. I could have saved myself a lot of grief !!
Thank You Ian... Way Cool smile
i meditate hours everyday because my situationasks me to so it really goes from alone and naturally like when you re hungry and you get food.i can actually do stuff at the same time.it s definitely worth it as you say susan to clear debris as i am ding a healing.and i agree with your description elleise.it starts slow and then when you get one answer it leads you to something else and something else,til you get a whole picture.so i try to stop when i have reached a stage or when i ve made a full circle then i consider it complete otherwise you can t go back to it you have to start over again or pick up by any bit you can find.
also i find all my answers like that about anything and that is really the best part.
When I was in high school I used to meditate. Thanks to this article, I realize how important meditation really is. I might start doing it again. Great article!
Dominique - that is very inspiring, thank you!
Posted By: Jilly Re: Can Meditation Lead to Self Realization? - 01/06/12 06:07 AM
Ian, that is really cute. I am going to have to remember that one. smile
Posted By: loong Re: Can Meditation Lead to Self Realization? - 04/03/12 11:50 AM
To all,

How do you think Siddhartha Gautama Became Buddha.He meditated
for 7 years.

a simple buddhist named
loong
Meditation does pay off, doesn't it!
Posted By: Burt B. Re: Can Meditation Lead to Self Realization? - 04/03/12 02:57 PM
The thousand petaled royal jewel and lodestone that shall overcome all illusion !!
I used to meditate daily. Even, I am going to meditate. Anyways thanks for the article. I have read it and it was really an informative article.
Hi Jenniechan, welcome to the meditation forum! I'm glad you liked the article.

A little story: The first time I heard that the kingdom of God is within was during a homily at mass when I was about 10 years old. That inspired me to pray and meditate daily.

Susan
For me personally, meditation is a way to relax and focus within myself, and that's what often helps me tune in and find answers.
Meditation IS a way to find answers, the stillness opens the space - inner space.
I have had a few teachers suggest that meditation is great for finding the true, inner self. Basically, we all have so much external conditioning form our environment and the people around us, that we need meditation in order to hear our own voices, thoughts, will etc.
Do you think this is the same thing as what you are article says, just in a different way? or is your article talking about something larger? (answers from all reading this thread are welcome smile )
I think that it can lead to self-realization, especially when coupled with action that is inspired by the meditation.
I agree, Connie.
Thanks, Lisa, Connie and Debbie for your posts!

Anyone else have something to add?

smile
© BellaOnline Forums