BellaOnline
Posted By: conniem Organization - 06/17/10 01:34 PM
I was just wondering how everyone else organizes their beads & supplies. I am going to get everything reorganized by color. I have the clear containers (my latest purchases were for fishing...they were cheaper and they had more options to chose from than the ones in the craft area). I am going to reorganize everything by color. I am thinking this will be a fairly big undertaking since I have so many containers. Right now my beads are organized by type. I have containers for the stone beads, chalk turquoise, seed beads, glass beads, yatta yatta.
Posted By: JewelryMakingEditor Re: Organization - 06/17/10 04:11 PM
Good question, Conniem! I've been known to do it by material and then by color in each category.
Posted By: conniem Re: Organization - 06/19/10 12:10 PM
I have a lot more beads than I used to now. I will get to diging through a box and find stuff I forgot I had. So I am hoping that reorganizing will help!
Posted By: JewelryMakingEditor Re: Organization - 06/19/10 12:33 PM
Excellent idea. I've even heard of people organizing their seed beeds into little spice jars and putting them on rotating racks or into spice racks attached to a cabinet door (as in a crafts cabinet) so they can see everything. It's always good to be able to see your complete inventory of supplies.
Posted By: Angie Re: Organization - 06/20/10 02:15 AM
I hope to get myself organized also - I picked up plastic containers with crew lids - found them in the grocery store - inexpensive - but after doing any work I need to put it all away and as a result I have trouble getting started again.

Organizing by color sounds like a good idea.
Posted By: conniem Re: Organization - 06/21/10 01:30 PM
I had the spice jars for a while. Seems like then I had a huge collection of them and they took up so much space!

Angie, I have the same problem too. Right now my mess is all cleaned up though as my daughter and her family are visiting until Wednesday. I have a show to go to on Saturday and then another on the 4th of July. I'm hoping to sell a bunch of stuff!
Posted By: Angie Re: Organization - 06/22/10 02:46 AM
I have it heaped in a room I won't be using soon - company coming smile
Posted By: conniem Re: Organization - 06/22/10 01:29 PM
Hope you have a good time with your company...I am enjoying having my daughter and her family here. She makes jewelry too and brought me some stuff and I gave her a bunch of stuff to take home. I will have room for more beads!!
Posted By: Angie Re: Organization - 06/24/10 02:51 AM
WOW, not only am I having company Friday but a long time friend who I have not seen in a very very long time is coming through tomorrow. What a treat!
Posted By: conniem Re: Organization - 06/28/10 12:34 PM
My show on Saturday was horrible! I sold one bracelet! It was so hot too....101. I am dreading Saturday! I think the weather is supposed to be cooler though...90. Hopefully sales will be way better!
Posted By: Angie Re: Organization - 06/29/10 02:47 AM
No one wants to dawdle and shop on a hot day. I'm sorry you didn't do well.

Find an indoor venue.
Posted By: conniem Re: Organization - 06/29/10 12:02 PM
Saturday is outside too...my sister had 2 more coming up next month and I told her she could count me out! We have been to the town we are going to before and have always done well there. I had already agreed to go on Saturday or I think I would back out!
Posted By: conniem Re: Organization - 07/05/10 12:58 PM
So it was pretty rainy, but I managed to make $150 so I didn't mind getting soaked!

Waiting to be organized

Organized

So I had to transfer 3 boxes to bigger containers because there were too many beads. I think I will have to buy more containers before this is done!
Posted By: Angie Re: Organization - 07/05/10 01:33 PM
That is a lot of beads. I have something specific in mind and will need to pick something up at one of the beading shops but otherwise, at this time and skill level, I tell myself, NO!

I had hoped to meet on a regular basis with someone but that fell through. I picked up a small suitcase to haul around stuff so I was ready. I need to clean up my living room where it is all stacked at the moment. Thanks for the photo of your bead area.

Posted By: conniem Re: Organization - 07/06/10 12:29 PM
All the while going through the beads I keep saying "no more beads unless I absolutely need them!!". It was crazy to find things I had totally forgot about having. I do think having things organized by color will really help. I will just have to be stong in San Antonio in August when I go to the bead mart! My daughter is going with me and she has never been to one so it will be really fun! I will try to remember my camera and get some photos but I tend to get so caught up in all those beads that thinking is hard lol!
Posted By: Angie Re: Organization - 07/15/10 11:33 PM
We're going to do a major renovation here at the house - I need to move a lot of stuff around - I'd like to set up a jewelry making area. At least a spot to work. When my daughter starts the baby on food, if she uses jarred food, I'll glom the jars for my beads.
Posted By: conniem Re: Organization - 07/16/10 12:42 PM
You'll have more than enough jars before you know it!
Posted By: Angie Re: Organization - 07/16/10 10:02 PM
yep, that's what I'm hoping.
Posted By: conniem Re: Organization - 09/14/10 01:28 PM
So I am starting to get busy making things for the fall foilage festival and get out my big box of seed beads. I had moved them all to new plastic bags when I reorganized and guess what?! The bags must've been faulty because I picked several up and they had holes in them!!!!
Posted By: Angie Re: Organization - 09/14/10 02:40 PM
I purchased containers in the grocery store that had screw tops. They work great for seed beads.
Posted By: conniem Re: Organization - 09/16/10 12:40 PM
Screw tops wouldn't come open by accident!
Posted By: Angie Re: Organization - 09/23/10 03:11 AM
I like using the containers - baby food jars and containers work too.
Posted By: conniem Re: Organization - 10/08/10 12:54 PM
So I have been making jewelry and changing over to organization by color has really helped! I should've done that a long time ago!
Posted By: Angie Re: Organization - 10/09/10 12:44 AM
I guess it is like what the experts say about organizing your clothes closet - by color. smile
© BellaOnline Forums