BellaOnline
Posted By: theraven Fun Greek Food and Drink Facts - 10/18/12 01:40 PM
Hello everyone,

Just been looking at a few interesting facts about Greek food and I will be sharing some of the best ones with you.

For example, the Ancient Greeks were known to eat meals lying on their sides.

If you have any Greek food facts you would like to share then I would love to hear them.
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 10/18/12 07:04 PM
Did you know that the origins of Greek food date back more than 2000 years but in all time, the recipes we know and love have barely changed?
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 10/19/12 08:28 PM
The Greek Frappe (similar to an iced coffee) was invented by accident in 1957 at the Thessaloniki Trade Fair.
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 10/21/12 07:15 PM
Many ancient Greeks chose not to eat beans because it was widely believed that the souls of the dead were contained within
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 10/29/12 03:33 PM
One of the first ever cookbooks was written between 330 and 350 B.C by Sicilian Greek poet Archestratus. It was called Hedypatheia which means Life of Luxury.
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 10/31/12 12:53 PM
The ancient Greeks very rarely ate meat and the only time they might have done was when an animal was sacrificed to a god.
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 11/02/12 11:26 AM
In ancient Greece if a dinner party was held then women were typically not allowed to attend.
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 11/02/12 11:31 AM
Got a fact you would like to share? If so, please feel free to add it here smile
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 11/04/12 12:35 PM
Ancient Greek doctors sometimes used milk as a form of medicine
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 11/05/12 04:24 PM
Feta cheese is said to be around 6,000 years old which makes it one of the world's oldest cheeses.
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 11/05/12 10:03 PM
How long does feta cheese keep?
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 11/06/12 01:27 PM
Thanks for posting, Lori. I personally only keep feta cheese in my refrigerator for 2 - 3 days but some people have suggested this can keep for several months if left in a salty brine. I hope this helps smile

Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 11/06/12 04:04 PM
Uh oh. Mine has been in the refrigerator for weeks. I'll toss it out. Thanks!
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 11/08/12 08:00 PM
You're very welcome, Lori smile If you have any other questions then please let me know. BTW, I wanted to say thanks for answering my question about the shark dreams. The explanation made a lot of sense.
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 11/08/12 08:07 PM
The word gastronomy is an Ancient Greek term which is translated as "the art of good eating"
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 11/09/12 09:37 PM
A Greek known as Paximos invented toast after realising that bread would keep for a longer period of time
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 11/09/12 09:52 PM
Did you see "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" in which the father insisted that the Greeks invented everything? It is such a cute movie. And those brilliant Greeks did invent so many things.

Keep those fascinating Greek facts coming! I love them!
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 11/11/12 07:36 AM
Hi Lori, I have never seen the movie but will have to look out for it smile Thank you for those kind words, they are really appreciated. I am glad you are enjoying the facts mentioned so far.
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 11/11/12 12:57 PM
Olive branches played a very important part in the lives of the Ancient Greeks. They were seen as a symbol of peace, love and wisdom.
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 11/11/12 08:55 PM
Yes, I recall reading Greek mythology and how the Athena, goddess of war and wisdom among other things, gave the people the olive tree.

I also read how Greek women use olive oil for everything, including a skin moisturizer. Do you do this? I thought it was a good idea so when I gave my husband a massage, I used extra virgin olive oil. But it made him smell like food. haha!
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 11/13/12 12:01 AM
Parsley dates back to the time of the Ancient Greeks. Rather than being eaten, the herb was added to funeral wreaths or used as a form of medicine. Known as petro (meaning stone) this was because it usually grew on rocky terrain.
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 11/14/12 09:30 PM
Olive oil was described as "liquid gold" by the poet Homer
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 11/15/12 09:39 PM
Wine does play an important part in a meal and it has been suggested that the drink was first introduced in Greece in 4000 B.C
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 11/16/12 11:17 AM
The pomegranate was called the "apple of love" after the goddess Aphrodite was said to have planted the very first tree. This fruit continues to play a part in family tradition and is present at different events such as Christmas and weddings. It is a symbol of good luck and prosperity.
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 11/18/12 09:57 PM
Some Greek parties involve games for guests and one of these could be bobbing for olives smile
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 11/19/12 07:32 PM
It is possible to make soap using olive oil
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 11/25/12 11:43 AM
Drinking wine neat was once considered barbaric and therefore it was watered down before serving.
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 12/06/12 10:58 AM
The physician Hippocrates used olive oil to treat some ailments as it was believed to have healing powers.
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 12/06/12 11:00 AM
The physician Hippocrates used olive oil to treat some ailments as it was believed to have healing powers.
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 12/17/12 02:34 PM
Greece is the third largest producer of olives in the world (Spain and Italy hold first and second place)
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 12/30/12 09:04 AM
As food plays such an important part in Greece, an evening meal can last for 3 hours or longer.
Posted By: theraven Re: Fun Greek Food Facts - 01/11/13 05:45 PM
October 7 is known as National Frappé Day. A great time for coffee lovers everywhere smile
© BellaOnline Forums