BellaOnline
2/28/2009: I have posted a new poll - it is on page 2. Stand up and be counted!

Update on the poll -- for some reason, this poll never calculated the results -- so I'll do a tally every so often!

Jambalaya - 6 (counting 'poll' results)
Paella - 1
Unsure - 2

In my opinion, Jambalaya is far more flavorful than Paella! What do you all think? Let's take a vote! Simply check the box to select your favorite.
Jambalaya is most definatly mine! I LOVE Cajun food. Especially corn bread Yum Yum. I soooooooo look forward to seeing more of this website!
I think it depends on how you make the paella. I lived in Spain for 2 yeas and the paella was wonderful! On a recent trip to Washington, DC, we went to a Spanish restaurant and ordered it and it was just like the paella I remember from Spain.
Janbalaya is really good - love it! I also love paella and make it often in the summer time to take to family get togehters. I saute chicken, Italian sausage, green onions, mushrooms and tiger shrimp in garlic butter (all separately) and add to brown rice with all the juices. I don't know if this is traditional, but everyone loves it and it disappears pretty fast!
Phylliss,
You are making my mouth water stop LOL!!
I love the spiciness of a Jambalaya. I love it with cornbread on the side ummmmmmmmm
My fav is Cajun roast beef, now that is gooooooooooood! grin
I'm going to say Jambalaya. The best I had was when I was visiting a family in Baton Rouge. They took it easy on me and made it mild but it was awesome... left a lasting impression.
I gotta go with Paella. I like Jambalaya, but Paella is fantastic.

(I can't seem to vote, though -- the poll went directly to the "results" view.)
My first experience with Jambalaya was a disaster!!! I was young and newly married and knew how to cook but had never tried anything "exotic" or new. One day my husband came home and said, "Wow...what smells so good?" I served up the Jambalaya and it was so hot (spicy) we could not eat it. I also had forgot to put the shrimp in. Well, I guess it was not a complete disaster...I got taken out to dinner that night.
Nancy - It's an old poll, I guess a date deadline was put on it. I never put deadlines on that way the poll is always active since the thread will always generate traffic until it's deleted.

Phyllis - ulterior motives maybe? Have you tried making it since?
Phyllis,
I did that, the recipe said two teaspoons and I put in two tablespoons of spice mix! It was so hot! LOL! The trouble was i was the only one who liked the heat !!! LOL!!
Maybe subconciously I did want to be taken out to dinner. I felt so sad though that my jambalaya had gone to pot! I did try a few weeks later and it turned out pretty good. Now my Paella was never a problem. In fact, it is a little different every time I fix it but it is always good.
The best recipes are the ones you change or improve every time you make it. I think things like Jambalaya and Paella are like that.
You are right, Moe. I believe my Paella has never been the same twice. I do always use brown rice, though. It gives it a better texture and flavor, I think.
I will try that Phyllis, for my Jambalaya. I am really trying to eat healthier and brown rice is better. I always thought I would not like the taste, but I do.
Uncle Ben's quick brown rice is what I use. It has a very good flavor.
I'd have to say paella because it is less spicy and I associate that more with seafood than I do the jambalya (which also has seafood in it).......
Hey, I'm curious. What is Spanish Paella? Do you buy it or is it only in restaurants. Does it have meat? And what is in it?

Please let me know. I have a vegetarian in the house. She just might like this.
Hi Kimmie,

Paella is similar to Jambalaya; rice, seasonings, meats and or fish, some veggies (onion, tomato, etc.)and seasonings. As with Jambalaya, it can be made with or without meat(sausage, fish, chicken).

Here is a link to my Paella Recipe -- just omit all animal products and maybe add some other vegetables (eggplant, Italian squash). Use a hearty vegetable broth in place of water and season well otherwise there won't be much flavor.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Thanks Sandie. I'll have to try this considering hubbie loves spicy foods and if I use no meat, my vegetarian daughter can eat some of it too. Thanks and have a happy new year.
I thought we'd start this poll again (last one didn't work correctly)-- you can vote and view the results easily!
© BellaOnline Forums