BellaOnline
Posted By: Angela J. Shirley 12 Step Recovery - 03/17/11 04:15 PM
Hi Everyone:

Do you think a "12 Step Recovery" plan helps with various addictions?

I think YES, but the person has to want to do the steps and of course continue to stay away from their "addiction"...

Your thoughts?
Posted By: meganjo Re: 12 Step Recovery - 03/22/11 06:18 AM
12 step recovery process is a basic and more fundamental one for addiction recovery(whatever may be the addiction whether it is alcohol or drug). Many persons who are addicted have gone through the recover process successfully by this 12 step recovery.
Posted By: Kaycee Will Re: 12 Step Recovery - 03/22/11 06:24 AM
What is exactly and how it is done, Can someone explain in short?
Posted By: Angela J. Shirley Re: 12 Step Recovery - 03/22/11 05:33 PM
Hi Kaycee Will:

From what I understand, it is a list of steps that a program has each participant complete.

I am hoping the editor for this site will respond soon as I am sure they would know more details.

Until you hear something, you may want to do a Google search or visit a site like AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) to see an example of their "Steps"...

Have an AWESOME day/night smile
Posted By: Kathy - 12 Step Recovery Re: 12 Step Recovery - 03/23/11 07:16 PM
The steps are "suggestions" written by Bill W. and Dr. Bill to help people recovery from alcohol. Since that time, the same 12 steps are the foundation for every 12 step recovery group that exists (and there are a lot of them). Recovery from any addiction is not only about the steps. Yes, the steps MUST be worked but it is also going to meetings, getting a sponsor, being of service, and the willingness to do anything it takes. The steps work but you have to work them. You can read the steps of AA online but remember that the steps are only a portion of healthy recovery. And, no one...NO ONE can recovery from an addiction on their own. Read the articles I have written on this site. I cover all of the steps and more!

Hope this helps.

Blessings,

Kathy L.
12 Step Recovery Editor
Posted By: Angela J. Shirley Re: 12 Step Recovery - 03/24/11 01:18 PM
Thanks Kathy smile
Posted By: Evan M. Re: 12 Step Recovery - 12/23/11 04:19 PM
I do agree with Kathy. I personally am a member of one of the other 12 step fellowships that AA gave birth and I do attend AA as well. Were as AA deals primary with alcohol the program of NA deals with the disease of addiction which is fueled by two key components obsession and compulsion and how they manifest themselves in any area of ones life. For identification purposes the literature talks about the most obvious form of the disease drugs but the drugs are just the most apparent symptom of the disease. So if one can simply replace the word drug or understand that it is referring to your particular manifestation this literature will be quit helpful as well as the "IT WORKS HOW AND WHY" AND THE " NA STEP WORKING GUILD" It works if you work it so work it an live. Evan M. Grateful Recovering Addict
Posted By: Gramzie Re: 12 Step Recovery - 01/06/12 03:00 AM
I also go to AA meetings. I find that doing the steps has helped with my addition. I am an alcoholic, I can not stop once I have taken that first drink. Accepting that I am powerless and give myself over to my high power I have not had a drink since Dec 28, 2010. It is one day at a time.
Posted By: Angela J. Shirley Re: 12 Step Recovery - 01/06/12 01:43 PM
Congrats Gramzie easter

Originally Posted By: Gramzie
I also go to AA meetings. I find that doing the steps has helped with my addition. I am an alcoholic, I can not stop once I have taken that first drink. Accepting that I am powerless and give myself over to my high power I have not had a drink since Dec 28, 2010. It is one day at a time.
Posted By: Angela J. Shirley Re: 12 Step Recovery - 01/06/12 01:43 PM
Congrats Evan M. king

Originally Posted By: Evan M.
I do agree with Kathy. I personally am a member of one of the other 12 step fellowships that AA gave birth and I do attend AA as well. Were as AA deals primary with alcohol the program of NA deals with the disease of addiction which is fueled by two key components obsession and compulsion and how they manifest themselves in any area of ones life. For identification purposes the literature talks about the most obvious form of the disease drugs but the drugs are just the most apparent symptom of the disease. So if one can simply replace the word drug or understand that it is referring to your particular manifestation this literature will be quit helpful as well as the "IT WORKS HOW AND WHY" AND THE " NA STEP WORKING GUILD" It works if you work it so work it an live.

Evan M.
Grateful Recovering Addict
Posted By: Tuculia, Daughters Editor Re: 12 Step Recovery - 02/29/12 04:53 PM
Happy Leap Day!
Posted By: loong Re: 12 Step Recovery - 04/03/12 12:14 PM
To all,

I did my first meeting in A.A. on January 17 1977.Makes 35 years ago.If youread the method,one thing is primary important.
Total honesty.Done my 12 steps still live them ,but moved to higher spirituality.It is written in the big book that the twelve steps are only the beginning of spirituality.

The head office is in New York,and the sad part is ,told by
N.Y. only 5 % of members go through the 12 step and really recover.

A recovered alcoolic
normand J.
also known as loong
Posted By: Lestie - ContainerGardens Re: 12 Step Recovery - 04/03/12 01:00 PM
Hello Everyone -

There are two very good 'tools' that one can use personally if you wish to improve yourself for any reason and many millions around the world use them.

The first is the Serentity Prayer and the second is a poem called Just for Today.

Recite them; read them; ponder on them; and use them at will and see how you can improve yourself from anything and for any reason - whether an addiction or not.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
GOD,
Grant me the SERENITY to accept the things I cannot change,
The COURAGE to change the things I can and
the WISDOM to know the difference.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A popular aid is the Just for Today card that many people following any kind of 12-step recovery programme uses.

I know many people though, who use it as a daily meditation to a path towards self-improvement. I used to belong to a 'JUST FOR TODAY' Club when I was younger (?) and we used to meet like a book club might do to talkabout each stanza and help each other along. Of course it is useful with anything, anything at all ... from being a patient Mom to keeping a tidy and clean house!

�Just for today I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle all my problems at once. I can do something for twelve hours that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

�Just for today I will be happy. This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, that most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.

�Just for today I will adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my luck as it comes, and fit myself to it.

�Just for today I will try to strengthen my mind. I will study. I will learn something useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.

�Just for today I will exercise my soul in three ways: I will do somebody a good turn, and not get found out; if anybody knows of it, it will not count. I will do at least two things I don�t want to do just for exercise. I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not show it.

�Just for today I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, keep my voice low, be courteous, criticise not one bit. I won�t find fault with anything, nor try to improve or regulate anybody but myself.

�Just for today I will have a programme. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. I will save myself from two pests: Hurry and Indecision.

�Just for today I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and relax. During this half hour, sometime, I will try to get a better perspective of my life.

�Just for today I will be unafraid. Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As far as I know this is the original, though of course many have changed the words to suit other purposes. I prefer the original of anything so hence this version above!

Cheers now
Posted By: loongdragon Re: 12 Step Recovery - 10/29/12 10:45 PM
To all and none,

Just to share that january 17 th 2013 iwill have been sober for
36 years,clean & sober,Stopped everything on jan.17 th 1977.One year later same date stopped smoking cigarettes.2 1/2 packs a day.This was all done one day at the time,with the help of the 12
steps.

loongdragon
© BellaOnline Forums