BellaOnline
Become informed about the potential health risks of serving your family genetically engineered (GE) salmon, discover the correlations to GMO products, and contemplate the intentions of biotech firms.

For more information read Genetically Modified Salmon and Health Risks

For ways to shop GMO-free read the Non-GMO Shopping Guide.
I cannot sign, thanks Deb!
I read about this somewhere else. There are two issues that are of concern - will the genetically altered salmon cause allergies or other problems as it is consumed and what happens if one gets loose and does breed?
As Monsanto has already displayed through their lawsuits, when GMO/GE product runs rampant throughout nature - and it does - the patent holder of the modified gene has license to indiscriminately test product for any trace of the gene.

If a genetic trace is found, as it stands in the law, Monsanto owns the rights to it. This includes any genetic modifications to other plants, animals, and people, because it is the result of cross-pollination or consumption. This is an extraordinarily dangerous precedent, and one GE salmon farmers will likely exploit.

The implication here is that all salmon could arguably be "owned" by AquaAdvantage and AquaBounty Technologies in the very near future. This is beyond measures of ridiculousness and has the potential to put the world in Oliver Twist's shoes, "Please sir, I want some more."
© BellaOnline Forums