BellaOnline
Posted By: Linda - Gardener Succulent wreaths - 11/15/12 01:48 AM
Have you ever purchased or made a succulent wreath? Share you questions or tips. I stuck to mostly small leaved plants, and not those that would get a long stem.
Posted By: Carolyn Golden Re: Succulent wreaths - 11/21/12 06:56 PM
No, but that sounds like a great idea to try - I love succulents. I did make a wreath of epiphytes once, it looked great and I still have the wood I used - maybe attaching some succulents to it would work. Hmmmmm....
Posted By: Linda - Gardener Re: Succulent wreaths - 11/21/12 09:28 PM
It's worth a try. If you use cuttings from plants that need a trim, you aren't risking much and it may turn out looking wonderful.

Plants like tillandsias or small bromeliads would work as well.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Succulent wreaths - 11/21/12 11:40 PM
Hi Linda. When I lived in California, I had a little rock garden with tons of little small leaved succulents, like Hen and Chicks. I made a wreath one year and it was lovely.

I purchased a round wire cage-like wreath frame and lined it with moss, filled it up with a planting mix, then covered it with more moss on top of the soil.

Then I chose the smallest succulents and began planting them in the moss by punching a hole and sticking the roots of the plants in. It was really quite lovely. I hung it on my front porch. To water it, I had a spray bottle to gently mist it when it felt dry.
© BellaOnline Forums