BellaOnline
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Favorite Star Trek Captain - 02/26/08 01:43 PM
Speak out! Who do you love!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 02/26/08 01:44 PM
I grew up loving the original Star Trek, but I really do like Picard as my favorite captain. He was the best leader in terms of really melding and caring for his crew. Kirk would just laugh as Spock and McCoy went after each other.

My favorite CHARACTER was Riker, I was in love with him smile
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 02/26/08 02:57 PM
I loved Riker too... But sometimes I thought he was a bit of a weeny.

In the original Star Trek series, who was considered Kirk's number one? Spock?

As far as number ones go, I liked Chicotay the best wink I liked his spiritual aspect - though I thought the episode where Janeway was going to connect to her power animal was a little cheesy. After that episode, she never pursued that spiritual path again :shrug:
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 02/26/08 06:50 PM
Yes Spock would be Number One smile

I never really saw the Janeway series. I did watch Deep Space Nine for a while that was good smile

Yes I suppose I can see the weeniness of Riker at times smile

And poor Wesley just got beaten on by every fan ...
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 02/26/08 06:55 PM
See, I never knew that Wesley was beaton on by the fans? No one liked him? I thought he was okay.

Though toward the end, didn't he end up joining some other group? I can't remember, but it seems he stayed behind on this planet to help in some fight? Yikes! I can't remember.
Posted By: M o e Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 02/26/08 06:58 PM
I like them all but I grew up with Kirk and he is my favorite. It's impossible not to like Picard I think and when I see him in anything else (like X-men) he's still Picard. I like Janeway on principle just because she was a woman and our first woman captain. I agree Riker was a bit of a weenie at times but he's married to Laura from General Hospital so he's forgiven. smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 02/29/08 12:19 PM
Wesley was always harassed for being the "precocious teen who always saves the day". There were several spoofs of him including of course GalaxyQuest which I adore smile

I do like Kirk a lot, but his voice acting is just over the top sometimes smile

Speaking of which have you guys seen him doing Major Tom? smile
Posted By: M o e Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 02/29/08 11:32 PM
No, but have you seen him doing Rocketman? LOL

Posted By: M o e Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 02/29/08 11:33 PM
I think he's hilarious. I think he knows he's hilarious which just makes him even funnier.
Posted By: Megan M Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 02/29/08 11:33 PM
Shatner even speaks in that over the top way - he's a Shakespearian trained actor, and that seems to have melded with him so deeply, he's always in "declamatory" mode!

My fave Captain is Picard, without a doubt. He was more of a leader. My father always used to say that Picard realised that his position was more than personal aggrandisement - Kirk wanted to always be in on the action, whereas Picard knew that he was more valuable on board ship, rather than with the away party.

Both, however, did have the necessary nerve needed for a leader in that situation, and they both listend to advisors, but always made their own decision. Picard, though, is more distant from his crew than Kirk, and also seems more "human".
Posted By: M o e Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/01/08 12:06 AM
Originally Posted By: Megan_Embroidery
My fave Captain is Picard, without a doubt. He was more of a leader. My father always used to say that Picard realised that his position was more than personal aggrandisement - Kirk wanted to always be in on the action, whereas Picard knew that he was more valuable on board ship, rather than with the away party.

Both, however, did have the necessary nerve needed for a leader in that situation, and they both listend to advisors, but always made their own decision. Picard, though, is more distant from his crew than Kirk, and also seems more "human".

Really, cause I remember Picard leaving the deck unnecesarily many times to be in the thick of things when in fact he should have stayed with the ship and provided leadership. But then I guess we wouldn't have as interesting of stories.

What year did the Borg thing happen? I wonder if that accounts for Picards emotional distance from his crew.
Posted By: Robin Crime Editor Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/01/08 12:15 AM
Picard played by Patrick Stewart......his looks, that voice....

As far as being leaders....well - each had his own style and it worked for them.
Originally Posted By: M o e
It's impossible not to like Picard I think and when I see him in anything else (like X-men) he's still Picard.

I agree. smile

I have to go with Picard as my fave. Kirk is a close second, though.
Picard had this almost james bondesque feel to him - so smooth, and debonaire. You knew who was in control of his ship!

But kirk was really hot back in the old days. Its so easy to foget how good looking he was given all the spoofs and remakes over the years - but he was a nice to look at.
OMG Moe-- the U Tube of Shatner!!! When the third Shatner appeared I had tears. That was great. Oh, but he was good looking back then. I enjoy watching him now on Boston Legal. He's still got something special.

And Riker married Laura from General Hospital? Where have I been? Has Riker been in anything since Star Trek?
Posted By: M o e Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/01/08 03:16 AM
It looks like he's doing more directing than acting these days:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: NotInterested Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/01/08 03:47 AM
Picard, by far. Smooth and calm, with more humanity than Kirk. Don't think that I don't like Kirk..I grew up on Kirk and TOS -- they still kick butt for something done in the late 60s.

I like Kirk the best, the older episodes the better. I love the old Star Trek shows. But Picard is right behind him.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/01/08 11:13 AM
The Rocketman thing is hilarious - and then there was a spoof of that by The Family Guy -

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/01/08 11:16 AM
And I assume you guys have all seen Leonard Nemoy / Spock with his Ballad of Bilbo Baggins? smile

Posted By: M o e Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/02/08 02:59 AM
OMG that is so funny. I have not seen that. I sent it to Jeff.
Posted By: Sue-Gardening Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/02/08 03:27 AM
I'm defintely a Picard girl. There is something about him that is just so sexy! I also like his intellectual side. :-)
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/18/08 06:49 AM
Yes I really do enjoy Picard's intellect, that appeals to me greatly smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/18/08 07:28 AM
Picard, Picard, Picard. Ah, sooooo intellectual, so learned, so deep... i find that all very hot. Even though it's actually Kirk who is the most like me. He is very Aries. He was great for the time period in both TV land and in terms of where the Federation was at then.

I notice no one likes Sisco. I am not a fan of his either, even though the DS9 series was well written.

Anyway, what about Archer? Does anyone like him?
Posted By: Sue-Gardening Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/18/08 07:50 AM
I love Scott Bakula but I confess I never really got into Enterprise.
Posted By: Claybird Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/18/08 06:37 PM
I liked Archer, he seemed to have enough of the headstrong Kirk qualities without going over the top. I was sorry when that series was cancelled after only 4 years.
And I'm enjoying Scott Bacula's performances in Quantum Leap right now! I never saw that series on TV but am watching it now on DVDs.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/22/08 04:30 AM
I enjoyed Enterprise fine. I didn't LOVE it, but was sad when it was canceled.

I wasn't a Janeway or Cisco fan, but i liked the DS9 series. I guess i should give Voyager a chance. I stopped after I think year two. i found it boring. Which for a die hard ST fan like myself is pretty significant. maybe Voyager got better at the end? I don't know.
Originally Posted By: Jilly
Picard, Picard, Picard. Ah, sooooo intellectual, so learned, so deep... i find that all very hot.

Let us not forget his wonderful voice and sexy accent. wink
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/22/08 04:50 AM
Definitely, Picard for me! "Make it so." I love his way of total control and the ease in which he handled crisis. I never cared much for Riker. I think they should have put Spock in as Picard's #1.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/22/08 07:23 AM
LOL

We all have different men we like!

I always liked Riker smile
Posted By: ShalasBeads Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/22/08 10:24 AM
I'm a bad geek, I'm more into comics then ST, just never got it. But I LOVE Shatner. In a huge fan girlish way. Part of it is because he was really nice to my son when my son was little and completely into Star Trek, I know he can be rude to Trek fans, but he was nice to my son and even commented on them sharing the same name.
Boston Legal is one of the funniest things on tv now. Love it so much!
I also like the spoken word thing Shatner did with Henry Rollins on his last album. The two of them together is just so great.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/22/08 10:26 AM
I liked that woman Riker had a crush on - was her name Connie in the series? She had very long, very thick, very black hair. That was a good character.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/22/08 06:22 PM
i had a crush on Worf during the last couple of seasons....
Posted By: Ms A Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/22/08 06:40 PM
Wasn't Jordi (sp?) captain on one of the movies? So he might qualify. I've always had a soft spot for that character -- smart, sweet, but kind of awkward socially (around women)...
Posted By: GreyDrakkon Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/22/08 07:01 PM
Picard all the way. ^_^ I always saw Kirk as a pretty big jerk and not much of a captain, and Sisco wasn't actually a captain of a ship. He was alright, but lacked that charisma.

By the way, have any of you read Wil Wheaton's sum ups of TNG? He's the one who played Wesley, and he's HYSTERICAL. BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
I think Picard was the better Captain, but I am more attracted to the young Kirk. And I also had a crush on both Riker and Worf!

I have Brent Spiner's album, "Old Yelloweyes is Back" somewhere around here...
Posted By: GreyDrakkon Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/23/08 12:25 AM
I totally crushed on Data. ;D
Posted By: Bonniesa Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/23/08 12:30 AM
I have never seen a Star Trek show before. My first husband was really into that show.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/23/08 12:43 AM
That Wil blog is TOOOO funny. I'm going to have to avoid that or I'll be sucked in for years I think ...

Bonnie - you should Netflix the first DVD of Star Trek - The Next Generation and watch the first few episodes of it - it's important to watch from the beginning to get to know the characters, and many of the episodes have a lot of depth to them in the issues they face.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/23/08 08:42 PM
LOL I came up with a new plan. I managed to set up the laptop on the exercise bike and was reading while I was biking. I was laughing my fool head off the entire time and because the laptop covered up the bike's mileage info - I completely biked *past* the end of the course (30 minutes) and kept going for some indeterminate amount of time. LOL smile
Posted By: GreyDrakkon Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/24/08 08:12 PM
Haha that's a GREAT way to get exercise! Don't worry though, he (unfortunately) doesn't update all that often, so it's easy to catch up. However, he DOES have a personal blog... wink
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/24/08 10:20 PM
Well I think so far I've read five. It is annoying that they aren't listed in order, you have to search the page by the episode # (in one of the tags) and track them down manually like that. I realize he has skipped an episode or two but still it'd be nice if they had a page where they are listed in order for you to go through one after the other.

Still, it was a great way to spend my exercise time so that I got to read his blog without it cutting into my other activities!
Posted By: GreyDrakkon Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/24/08 10:28 PM
Yeah they're listed in the order that he wound up re-watching them so they're all over the place. The one that had me weeping with laughter was when he started talking about "Captain crazy pants", I swear I had to try reading it out loud at least 5 times because I just kept melting down. wink
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Favorite Star Trek Captain - 03/24/08 10:47 PM
Oh I don't think I've gotten to that one yet! I'll look forward to that smile I really have been laughing my fool head off while reading these and look forward to my next biking session so I can get in some more. This time I got a timer to put next to the bike so I know when my half hour is up smile