BellaOnline
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/22/08 11:37 PM
OK do you love Lord of the Rings? I know I do smile I grew up reading the books constantly and had an entire epic story done out in my head of how I was a swordswomen who hung out with Aragorn. That became the basis for my first medieval romance novel, Badge of Honor. I just love LOTR.

I was so worried when the movie came out, that they would destroy my dream. But luckily the movies were made by passionate LOTR fans who literally had pages from the book hung on their walls as they worked to make sure they stayed true to the story. It really shows.

Aragorn is of course my favorite. I had really wanted Daniel Day-Lewis to take the part but Viggo did a quite good job. There's only a few scenes where I think he was a bit off. The one that always sends shivers through my spine is when the hobbits are very first being approached by the Nazgul on Weathertop and they call out "Strider!!!" in panic for his help. That was such an echo of my character in my dreams that it was very powerful. And in jumps Strider, putting his life on the line to protect the little ones.
Posted By: M o e Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/23/08 05:56 AM
I do. And every time I start thinking about it I want to watch them again.

That is an excellent scene you mentioned. One of my favorite is the death of Boromir (Sean Bean). His transition at the last moment to protect the hobbit until the death was very moving. I ball every time.

I love all the characters really. I wouldn't change anyone. I think the movie should have won more oscars.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/23/08 11:53 AM
Well actually the Boromir death scene is one of the ones that always bugs me a little. Not Boromir - but Aragorn when he goes running to Boromir's side looks like he's flailing and being goofy. It always bothered me that he didn't look serious and focused when he friend was dying. I guess I wanted more of the look of Daniel Day-Lewis when he's running through the forest in Last of the Mohicans smile
Posted By: -Diana- Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/23/08 11:01 PM
I thought the scene of Boromir dying was wonderfully dramatic, probably one of the best acted scenes in the movie. But I can't stand to watch it after the first time -- it's just so tragic. I always have to fast forward through it.

I never read the LOTR trilogy until my daughter (a teen, then) got me involved. The movie came out and it looked good to me. So I started reading the books. The whole thing became a huge part of our lives for the next several years. The two of us even went to a convention in Toronto. Would you believe I even won a prize in the costume contest? It turned out to be one of the most memorable experiences of my life.
Posted By: Megan M Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/23/08 11:13 PM
I've never actually liked the books. But then, I don't like Tolkein as a writer - I feel that he needs a really good editor. I do, however, love the Peter Jackson trilogy. It tells the story, doesn't talk down to viewers/readers and doesn't get bogged down in details.

I tend to get howled down by a lot of fellow science fiction & fantasy fans when I say this - but even more have come up to me privately and said they agree.

The Lord of the Rings is probably one of the world's great stories, but unfortunately, IMHO, it's one that really didnt work for me as a book. (Which is different to usual - usually the books work better than movies).

In Australia, we laughed when David Wenham (Faramir) suddenly became a sex symbol - as he'd had that status for a few years over here (he spent a couple of seasons in a show called "Sea Change" where his main costume was a wetsuit....)
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/23/08 11:17 PM
Oh these have to be my favorite movies of all time. All time I tell you! I loved how they were so "out there" for so many years. Now there is hardly a reference to them.

I also thought the scene with Boromir dying was intense. And I didn't think Aragorn looked too goofy LOL. I actually thought it looked pretty authentic. How would I look if that were me? Probably totally freaked out, screaming and stumbling along.

There were so many things about the movies that I loved... so many favorite scenes!

D'oh! Now I'm going to have to go put in in and watch it while I'm cruising the forums LOL!

Posted By: -Diana- Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/23/08 11:25 PM
I myself think Tolkien's writing is very beautiful. It is like art to me. But I would definitely say it can be tedious to read.

I did attempt to read the Silmarillion and got more than half way through but then abandoned it. It read more like a Bible than a work of fiction -- more of a history than a story about characters that you got to know.

The Hobbit is different -- I think it's more like a children's book and is quite entertaining at times. Has anybody read that one?

I know that true Tolkien fans have complained that the movie was not always loyal to the books but I liked most of the changes that Jackson made. I think he had a good eye for knowing what would make the movie good.
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/24/08 02:37 AM
Hi Diana,

I read the Hobbit before I ever read the Lord of the Rings. I LOVED it, and hope and pray that Jackson will make a movie of it too!

I thought the LoTR movies were so fabulous, and since it had been a while since I'd read the book, I couldn't really point out any glaring differences. What I noticed more was things being left out, but figured that was to keep it from being a 40 hour movie LOL (which I wouldn't have bothered me one bit).

I never read the Silmarillion, though I did read some of the poetry from it. I thought it was gorgeous.
Posted By: M o e Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/24/08 05:59 AM
We've scheduled watching LOTR in over March Break. smile I asked DH tonight if enough time had passed so we could watch it again. And luckily it has. It's so much better watching it with someone who loves it as much as you do.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/24/08 11:40 AM
I can't watch LOTR in the background - it is something where I turn everything else off and focus on it and only it smile

Yes the Boromir death scene - everything other than Aragorn running - is simply gorgeous. Maybe to me that's why the Aragorn running part stands out so much. I do keep trying to imagine him as "crazed with grief" but it's just not working for me. He's supposed to be over 80 at that point and the veteran of countless wars. So he should be upset but not googly-eyed to me. I'll keep trying!
Yes LOTR is excellent. I have read the whole lot from The Sillmarillion to the Hobbit and the Rings trilogy, all great, I do agree that reading through the Silmarillion especially, can be tedious, also Tolkien is quite flowery and repeatitive in his descriptions, but it is awesome still.
To read the silmarrilion is to understand WHY the elves are where they are, and how foolish they were to trust Saroun, as he was not the first dark lord but the second! The first was defeated by the Valar, the Demi Gods.

But the Film, though excellent, I was dismayed that Faramir was dipicted as being tempted by the ring, He never did in the book. Also Sam gamgee, Frodo never belived because of gollum that sam wanted the ring, and sam was too loyal to disappear in tears because of gollum. But those aside it was great. When the Elves go to help in the battle of Helms deep it made me cry. what nobleness! Just so those who have not read the book know, One more ship does leave middle earth for the havens, built by Legolas, it takes him And Gimli, who is accepted there because of Galadriel into The Blessed realm. smile
I really did not like the fact that Tolkien made it so that Elf heaven and human death would never meet. I think God can do better than that! smile
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/24/08 03:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Lisa Low Carb Ed
So he should be upset but not googly-eyed to me. I'll keep trying!

HA HA HA... so next time I watch this, I'm going to be thinking about "googly-eyes" the entire scene!

And you're right about it not being on in the background. I say that I'll just have it on because I love it, and I always end up stopping whatever else it was I was doing to watch the movie.
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/24/08 03:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Eng Culture Nicola Jane
and sam was too loyal to disappear in tears because of gollum.

I have to admit, in the movie I was a bit disappointed in the end when Frodo and Sam were at Mt. Doom, and their friends were outside the gates yelling "Frodo! Frodo!" when they thought they had died. I thought "Do you have ANY idea how much Sam went through to GET Frodo there???" I wished they would have been calling for them both frown
AHH yes, you are so right Deanna. I think it is always those who are invisible that do the most and get the least recognition, and then not to be allowed into the blessed realms! That was unfair.
I guess Sam was so humble that actualy he would have yelled Frodo name and not his own too.
Posted By: -Diana- Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/25/08 12:24 AM
Deanna -- I agree that Sam should have gotten more credit for his struggles. He was indeed no less responsible for their success than Frodo.

Moe -- I agree that it's always more fun to watch the movies with a fellow fan. My favorite experience with this was at the LOTR Convention when we watched one of the first viewings of The Return of the King with a whole theater full of fans. I could really sense the excitement there -- so much cheering and gasping and well, you know how it is.

Nicola -- speaking of Helms Deep, I was overwhelmed with emotion when Gimli told Eowyn that Aragorn had fallen. He just said, "He fell." He really seemed to have a lump in his throat. And Eowyn's crestfallen look was so real. I think the battle of Helms Deep was both fascinating and moving.

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/25/08 12:30 AM
We went to the first viewing of each movie and the theater was STUFFED with fans in each case. The first one of course was the most powerful because nobody knew how it was going to be - if it was going to be complete trash or at least half good.

One moment that stands out clearly is when Gandalf is first coming into the Shire and he tells Frodo that he just gave Bilbo "a little push". The whole audience burst out laughing. It was such a minor line, and there was no context or background or anything - but obviously the entire theater had read the Hobbit, knew the entire story and appreciated the wealth of background that one line hinted at. I laughed myself - and was just SO happy that the whole audience had gotten that reference. I wonder if a "regular viewing" of the movie would have gotten that reaction, because undoubtedly a lot of the watchers would not have read the Hobbit.
Posted By: -Diana- Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/25/08 01:07 AM
Yeah, that does seem surprising that the audience seemed to understand that reference. How wonderful!

My daughter and I have seen the movies several times now and there are so many times when a quote from the movie seems so appropriate to a situation. I can't count how many times I've said "They are coming" (Gandalf) and "A fell voice is upon the air" (Legolas), not to mention how often we find people to be "tricksie."
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/25/08 05:02 AM
I think one of the scenes that moved me so much was from Return of the King - the extended version. When Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli rode into the mountain to find the ghost warriors.

Aragorn had just asked them to pledge their loyalty, and then the three of them were tossed out of the mountain on that mountain of skulls. Aragorn was so forelorn; he dropped to his knees, and Legolas was standing beside him and Aragorn just sort of leaned on him.

I was so moved by the desperation and loss in that scene. For a moment, you could really see that he had lost his last bit of hope.
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/25/08 05:05 AM
Originally Posted By: -Diana-
My daughter and I have seen the movies several times now and there are so many times when a quote from the movie seems so appropriate to a situation. I can't count how many times I've said "They are coming" (Gandalf) and "A fell voice is upon the air" (Legolas), not to mention how often we find people to be "tricksie."

HA HA... we do this too. One morning my husband and I were lying in bed - it was a Saturday morning. We could hear the kids wake up and run down the hall toward us. Then we heard the dog coming running after them. My hubby said "they're coming... and they've brought a cave troll." HA HA!!!

One time I was shoe shopping with my girlfriend, and we were looking for a very specific pair of shoes for her. I was finally the one who found them, and she commented on how difficult it had been. I said "Well I've got the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox." She just stared at me. I asked her if she had seen Lord of the Rings, and she said NO! Can you believe it!!!!! I just rolled my eyes away, a perfect quote totally wasted UGH!
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/25/08 05:07 AM
Oh, and the other one I like is...

"POTAYTO! You know, boil them, mash them, put them in a stew."
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/25/08 05:11 AM
Oh I *love* the cave troll line!! I always smile every time I hear it, it is JUST perfect smile
Posted By: -Diana- Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/25/08 12:46 PM
I loved it when Gimli thrust his head up out of the snow on the Misty Mountain and said "We should go through the mines of Moria!" Adorable.

Remember that moment when Elrond called the meeting and the fellowship was formed? And Gimli said, "I'd rather be dead than see the ring in the hands of an elf!"? Well, we somehow noticed that Gimli actually spewed saliva during that encounter -- we took a closer look and were able to catch it in slow motion! What acting!

Deanna -- I know what you mean when a good quote is wasted on a non-fan. Very sad.
Yep quotes are fun. Especially over something special, My Precious!
Or lost 'It came to me..........its my present LOL!! smile
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/25/08 04:35 PM
I love those quotes too!

I also loved in the Two Towers, where Aragorn and Gimli sneak outside of Helms Deep to come up behind the orcs. Aragorn says it's quite a jump and Gimli says "You'll have to toss me.... ugh... don't tell the elf." My husband and I laughed so hard!!!!

My hubby will once in a while quote "Certainty of death, small chance of success.. what are we waiting for."

HA HA!!!!

Okay... I'm such an LoTR geek, I'm looking forward to checking this thread all day long! HA HA HA!! It's the first LoTR conversation I've had in days!
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/25/08 05:12 PM
All right everyone! It's been over 30 minutes! Where is the Lord of the Rings Adulations????

Do I have to post more Gimli quotes?

I've tried to talk our kids into naming our new dog "Frodo." She's a little chihuahua mix - and the name seems perfect for her, except for the fact that she's a little girlie. Oh well! Galadriel just a little too much for such a tiny cutie-pie of a dog.
Ok. I thought the bit in Two Towers where Gollum and Smeagol are having a conversation was so sad I cried! He tried so hard, and it was so pathetic to watch.
Also when Gandalf says 'Nobody who lives through hard times wants to live in them, but each makes the desicion how to live through them.' smile With all the hassle in this world, that catches my throat when I hear it.
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/25/08 07:47 PM
Hi Nicola Jane, I totally agree. Those were both really beautiful scenes.

I loved in the Two Towers at the end when Frodo tried to walk up to the Ring Wraith and hand him the ring, and Sam tackled him to save him. When Sam went into his speech about heroes I just wanted to cry.

I love the soundtracks to the LoTR movies too. The music is very moving.
Posted By: -Diana- Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/25/08 11:59 PM
Ah, the soundtracks -- what georgeous music. One of the most memorable pieces of music for me was when Gandalf had just been lost to the Balrog and the fellowship had emerged from the mines. They were overcome with grief. To me, the music was grief personified.

Posted By: M o e Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/26/08 12:13 AM
Ok, another scene/quote that stands out for me is when they are in the underground city being chased by the demon. Everyone goes on across the bridge and Gandolf stays behind and bangs his staff into the bridge and screams "You shall not pass!" This moment is very moving for me and gives me chills every time.
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/26/08 12:26 AM
That is a great scene. From the moment the goblins start coming after them I'm on the edge of my seat. Remember when that troll whacked Frodo and everyone thought he was dead? The whole chase scene is just remarkable.

One of my favorite pieces of music is in the Two Towers, when Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli enter the castle and the King is slouched on his throne. When Gandalf breaks the spell and the King remembers where he is --- I LOVE that music.

I also love in Return of the King when Sam and Frodo are laying on that desolate hill on their way to Mount Doom. Sam says something about it being springtime in the Shire, and the first of the strawberries should be coming in. Frodo says that he can't see anything... he's naked and alone in the darkness. When Sam says he may not be able to carry the ring, but he can carry Frodo - I LOVE that music too!
Posted By: M o e Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/26/08 12:46 AM
Another scene I like is when Eowyn (?sp) and Pippin sneak off to battle. Eowyn is played by Miranda Otta who I've been watching in Cashmere Mafia and Starter Wife before that.
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/26/08 03:17 AM
Isn't she great in Cashmere Mafia! I really dig that show! Her character is so very different from her LoTR persona.

I thought she a Merry made a great team - I loved when he came to her rescue when the Witch King was going to strike her down as she was protecting her Uncle.

I was so glad she and Faramir fell in love wink

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/26/08 10:35 AM
I adore the music, I have it all on CD and in my iTunes system.

We do quote the "Mines of Moria" phrase in that accent smile

"You Shall Not Pass!" is another favorite of mine. Although that segues into another of my pet peeves. Jackson felt it was VERY clear in that scene that the ledge Gandalf was clinging to was actively crumbling and that the reason he deliberately lets go is to prevent anyone from dying, too, by going out to rescue him. But I've talked with several people who thought the ledge looked nice and solid. It would have been so easy for the filmmakers to show little pebbles and fissures forming to make it nice and clear that Gandalf was deliberately sacrificing himself to save the others. But I suppose it's hard to think of everything smile
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/26/08 02:48 PM
I agree Lisa, they did make it look like Gandalf just sacrificed himself. With all the great special effects already in the movie, a crumbling ledge wouldn't have been too much to ask for. But you're right. It's hard to think of everything.

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/26/08 03:01 PM
I wonder if this is an area where people who read the book knew what was going on so they made that leap of faith. The people I knew who hadn't read the book were confused, they didn't understand why the hobbits didn't just go out and pull him up, and thought Gandalf slipped because they were too slow.
Yes that bit where Sam carries Frodo is beautiful.

I find one of the funniest bits is at the deciding what to do with the ring. Elronds face when sam appears THEN pippin and merry is just so fun!
One thing I missed from the book tho was Tom Bombadil. and the barrow waights. That was both amazing and scary. Tom could see frodo even with the ring on and it had no hold what so ever over him. Tho how they would have screened that, I don't know.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/26/08 06:49 PM
Hmmmm. What did I miss. I didn't miss Tom ... I did miss the reclaiming of the Shire. I think that was an important part to leave out.
Posted By: -Diana- Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/26/08 11:27 PM
Personally, I didn't miss Tom Bombadil in the movies. I thought that passage of the book was somewhat boring.
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/27/08 12:51 AM
I didn't miss Tom Bombadil in the movie until I read the book again, and I was like "Oh wow! I had totally forgotten about him."

One thing about the book, was that when Frodo left the Shire, it was at his leisure. They didn't seem rushed at all. The movie was all about getting out of there now!
Yes, the reclaiming of the shire, tho I think frodo saw a kind of link to it in the film via Galadriels mirror, I missed the death of Saruman at the hands of wormtongue.(I think i spelled that wrong!)
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/27/08 11:49 AM
Didn't Saruman get stabbed / pushed by him in the movies? I thought he did ...?

Frodo did see the Shire getting burnt but I think it was supposed to be "one possible future" and never really happened in the movie timeline. So the hobbits there never really seemed to understand what the adventuring hobbits had gone through. Which I think is a real shame. In the book they are heroes to their home town - in the movie they're more like adventurers who went off and did some exotic thing that doesn't really matter to the locals.
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/27/08 03:06 PM
In the book, didn't Saruman and wormtongue run into the hobbits as they were traveling to the grey havens. It seems Merry offered them some tobacco? And Saruman was kind of a weeny-head about it?
Yep, Told him "no thanks for the pity, and foretold frodos short future!" then walked off, but they offered wormtounge a chance and suruman said "you dont want him, you dont know what he did do you?" and told them and got wormtounge to go with him, and wormtounge went a short way and then cut his throat, then hobbit arrows killed wormtounge. smile
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/27/08 07:26 PM
Okay, so he did die by Wormtongue's hand, it was just in book three, rather than two.

Wormtongue was so wretched... I felt so sorry for him. I don't see how he could have lived with himself after his betrayal to Rohan.
Yep, he was most definatly wretched.
I missed old man willow too. tho he was wicked.LoL
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/29/08 12:17 PM
Well he was lusting after Eowyn and that's all he wanted, so he was willing to sacrifice a few things to get her ...
I mean the huge wicked Tree, after they cross the Brandywine river, that catches Frodo and Sam ,where Tom Bombadil has to speak to the Tree and get the tree to relese them! LOL! smile
But you saying that Lisa, made me remember something else that the film portrayed, that was not in the book. Arwen was never in doubt of Aragons Faithfulness, and Aragon Never thought about going with Eowyn. I was annoyed over that bit! he WAS faithful to Arwen all they way through, it was Eowyn who fancied him. smile
Posted By: -Diana- Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/29/08 05:28 PM
I never got the idea from the movie that Aragorn thought about going with Eowyn. I thought he made it clear that he only had eyes for Arwen. I thought it was just Eowyn that was hopeful.
Yea, but at one point he is looking at the necklace Arwen gave him, and not sure what to do with it. But it just could be my interpretation of that bit!
Posted By: M o e Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/29/08 11:24 PM
Originally Posted By: -Diana-
I never got the idea from the movie that Aragorn thought about going with Eowyn. I thought he made it clear that he only had eyes for Arwen. I thought it was just Eowyn that was hopeful.

I never felt that either. I always felt she was trying too hard and while he thought she was lovely and strong he didn't see himself loving her. I like how she and Faramir (think that's the right one) exchange glances at the end almost in an attempt to let the viewer know she wasn't going to be alone for long.
Posted By: Megan M Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/29/08 11:57 PM
My all time favorite is when the Rohirim appear at the top of the hill - at Helms Deep and charge, and then again at the Siege of (and would you believe I've lost it's name in my mind - the white city)....

Both of those bring a lump to my throat every time - just the way it brings relief to those beseiged...
Posted By: Megan M Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 02/29/08 11:59 PM
As for quotes - my best friend and I tend to quote from "The Hobbit" many times "what's it got in it's pocketsies?"
Posted By: M o e Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 03/01/08 12:03 AM
DH says that all the time too. He also says something about "poppit" but I don't remember it from there.
Posted By: -Diana- Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 03/01/08 02:45 AM
Megan -- do you mean Minas Tirith -- the white city? Speaking of Minas Tirith, I loved it when Boromir spoke of the White City to Aragorn in Lothlorien. Trumpets were playing when he described it and he professed such love for his home. What acting!

M o e: Are you sure the "poppet" comment didn't come from Pirates of the Carribbean? We say "Hello Poppet" -- this was when the pirates found Elizabeth in her father's home.
Posted By: M o e Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 03/01/08 03:12 AM
That's why it didn't make sense! Thanks Diana!
Poppit, Does'nt that come from The Silver Chair, from the Narnia Chronicles?
I am sure the small giantess, when crooning over Jill calls her 'a poppit'
They must have used it in a few films. I have only seen the first Pirates of the Caribbean and it was very good.
Posted By: BellaShorts Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 03/01/08 10:57 AM
We all LOVE the little dwarfy guy with the big ears - what's his name?

Strangely enough - none of my kids took to the book - I hope the movie hasn't affected Tolkein's popularity - such an original thinker/idea/story!

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 03/01/08 11:10 AM
I never got the sense at all that Aragorn was swayed by Eowyn. He appreciated her - but he tells her straight out before he goes into the caves that she is in love with an ideal - not with him. He says

"It is a shadow and a thought that you love. I cannot give you what you seek."

He's saying that she hardly knows him - she has a crush in him. His heart is taken elsewhere.
Do you mean Gimli?

I tink Tolkien is timeless, but there are many similar authors now. The fact that he created a whole language shows what intellectual capacity he had. I read an autobiogry of him recently. It was quite amazing. Also C.S.Lewis, both were exceptional men, with extremly interesting lives, not what I expected them to have been like at all.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 03/01/08 08:55 PM
yes definitely we now have many books on fantasy and scifi to choose from. Can you imagine living in the 1600s and only having the books they had back then? Think of the huge wealth of books we have available right now to us!

Christopher Lee was talking in an interview what it was like to be a reader back when the LOTR series was being released, that you had to wait eons in between books and that it was a hard thing to do. You read book 1 then had to wait to see what happened in book 2 ... sort of like us with the Harry Potter books smile
the scene where Boromir redeems himself is so sad, and honourable.
Posted By: -Diana- Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 03/02/08 08:02 PM
Gee, Lisa -- you're really good with quotes! I think it was nice of Aragorn to be so kind to Eowyn by pointing out to her that it would be pointless to pursue anything between them. That's one of the things I like about Aragorn; he is respectful of others and humble.
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 03/02/08 09:34 PM
And in the extended version, there is a definate connection between Faramir and Eowyn. I thought they made a lovely couple.
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 03/02/08 09:35 PM
Megan, I agree - those were beautiful scenes and I do get a lump in my throat when I watch them.
I could not live without books. I love the added bits at the end of Tolkiens, the bits he added at the end so you could find out what happened to legolas and gimli for example. His attention to detail was utterly amazing! one wonders how he lived in reality as well!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 03/04/08 09:27 PM
Yes he built an incredibly dense world, he had the languages mapped out, the history, everything smile

Aragorn really did have to say something to Arwen - she was standing in front of him saying "I love you". So he was letting her down gently, saying "I know you think you feel that way, but you barely know me, and my heart is taken."

I'm pretty sure the Faramir-Eowyn match is in the book, and it does seem very fitting.
Yes He did. Well remebered! I had forgotten! blush smile
Posted By: -Diana- Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 03/11/08 01:51 PM
Besides the death of Boromir, I thought one of the other most moving parts in the movie was when Faramir was riding his steed toward Osgiliath and certain doom. It made tears well up in my eyes. He was so unloved by his father.
Yes that is tragic. His father is awful and then to let him be burned too! the only saving grace for the father, was that he realized to late his folly and it cost him his life.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 03/11/08 05:24 PM
Well on the burned part - at that point the father realized his loss and was traumatized by it - he really did want to honor his son. So at that point the father was insane yes, but he had realized what he'd done to his son and was sorry about it.
I have to say I disagree with that interpretation! Sorry smile

I really do think his father was so bitter over losing Boromir and so belived that Faramir should have taken his place, that he trys to make him take his place.

However I do think your interpretation is both nicer and kinder than mine!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 03/11/08 05:50 PM
"Consult the Book of Armaments!!"

OK that was Monty Python. But I of course have a copy of the full LOTR trilogy sitting right here on my desk.

In the book, Faramir comes back barely alive and his father is completely overwhelmed by his sorrow.

"During all this black day Faramir lay upon his bed in the chamber of the White Tower, wandering in a desperate fever; dying someone said, and soon 'dying' all men were saying upon the walls and in the streets. And by him his father sat, and said nothing, but watched, and gave no longer any heed to the defence."

Denethor is so upset by his only remaining son dying that he completely gives up on the town around him to sit by his son's side.

Pippin is there too. He is observing the pair. "And as he [Pippin] watched, it seemed to him that Denethor grew old before his eyes, as if something had snapped in his proud will, and his stern mind was overthrown. Grief maybe had wrought it, and remorse. He saw tears on that once tearless face, more unbearable than wrath."

Denethor most definitely has realized his mistake and is completely overwhelmed by what he has done. It is this knowledge that makes his mind snap.
oh Ok I repent! cry but the film does not make that very clear. I am glad that the book does, because it is a shame that a man would even concieve such an idea.
Posted By: -Diana- Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 03/11/08 07:41 PM
I guess that's what happens when you're a steward for all those years -- insanity.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 03/12/08 03:15 AM
Well really Denethor was slightly driven insane by having used the Palantir - which was being used by the Dark Lord - for quite a while, to protect his kingdom. So it wasn't being steward, which had been going on for a thousand years. It was specifically that he was trying to keep his kingdom safe - which was no mean feat in those times, with the awesome threat. He had to resort to palantir use to try to keep that safety going. Then he sends out his favorite son for a hope at safety. That son dies. The he is getting desperate and he sends out his only remaining son - and the son is pretty much slain. It is sitting by his only remaining son's deathbed that his mind finally snaps. Which I think is quite understandable, all being told. And to be honest it's not even just the thought that his only remaining son is dead. It is the realization that it is HIS (Denethor)'s fault that everything has gotten to this point, and that it was all for nothing - that Gondor is about to fall. He hears all around him that Gondor is collapsing. So that is why he deliberately says that it's better for he and Faramir to be burnt alive than to go through what is to come.

It's very powerful symbolism. To me it is like the Sept 11 people jumping from the towers. They would rather take control of their destiny and die on their own schedule than sit there and await an inevitable end.
Posted By: -Diana- Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 03/12/08 10:38 AM
I know, I was just being comical with the stewardship thing. Despite all the fears for Gondor, I would imagine that the death of your favorite son alone can make someone do something so drastic.

I thought the actor who played Denethor did an excellent job. I don't remember his name but I did see him in another movie once. Somehow though, the actors lose some of their appeal when they are not wearing the costumes of LOTR. For instance, the guy who played Theoden looks so much like an ordinary guy but when he is dressed as a king, he seems so magnificent. It is just part of the aura of a good movie.
yes I agree Diana, Denethor was played excellently.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 03/12/08 06:25 PM
Denethor was played by John Noble -

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: -Diana- Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 03/12/08 11:57 PM
Yeah, sometimes it seems like a mystery when good actors/actresses never reappear in other shows. It makes me think the competition must be really stiff.
Orlando bloom has got huge. he grew up near me, in canterbury.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 03/14/08 06:39 PM
Yes the Orlando Bloom adulation got pretty over the top smile Even though they were making the three movies "side by side" when they saw how popular he was with the first release they added in special "hero shots" to the other two to give him more screen time smile
Posted By: -Diana- Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 03/14/08 08:00 PM
I heard that Orlando Bloom originally auditioned for the part of Faramir but ended up with the Legolas role instead. Lucky for him since the role of Faramir might not have garnered him as much fame.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Lord of the Rings Adulation - 03/15/08 05:23 PM
Yes here's a quote about Orlando -

" Orlando Bloom first auditioned for Faramir's part. In an interview featuring in the LOTR Official Fan-Club magazine (October 2004), Peter Jackson said : "Orlando came to it in a slightly different way. When John Hubbard suggested Orlando, it was actually for the Faramir role. The first audition we did with Orlando had him reading Faramir's lines. We thought, "Wow, he is fantastic! We do want to cast him." You don't tell people straight away because you have to go through a whole process, but we certainly said in our mind, "OK, Orlando is Faramir. We don't need to look for him anymore." Then we had trouble with the Legolas role, and he proved hard to find. We saw a lot of people for Legolas. We couldn't find anybody, and we got worried about it. At one point, we paused and we looked back at people we had met, and Orlando jumped out. We suddenly had this realization that Orlando's face was very Elven with his high cheekbones and sort of chiseled jaw line. Orlando, who we had thought was going to be Faramir, would be perfect for Legolas. We just suddenly decided, "Why don't we put him in the Legolas role because that is a bigger role and a really hard one since we are having trouble casting it because of the way Elves have to look.""

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
© BellaOnline Forums