BellaOnline
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Ancient Runes - 06/08/08 04:04 AM
I am reading a book that states Runes are of Greek origin (this is in a fiction novel). Is that true? I thought Runes came originally from the Pagan rituals. Forgive me if I sound naive about this, but I am curious. I have in the past used the Runes for divination and still have them somewhere.
Posted By: elle Re: Ancient Runes - 06/08/08 04:44 AM
According to Wikipedia the oldest known runic inscription was found in Denmark, while Sweden has the most runic inscriptions. Scandanavian scholars seem to think that the origins were Latin.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: Trish-D Re: Ancient Runes - 06/08/08 02:54 PM
I think quite a few scholars would agree with you Elle that the divination aspect came later.

Phyllis, I've never heard of runes originating in Greece. What is the name of the novel? I suppose we can chalk it up to artistic license.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ancient Runes - 06/09/08 07:54 AM
About 40 miles from where I live is the Runestone Museum in Alexandria, Minnesota. That area is magik with the history of the those who at one time and a few who still use the Runes. Their accuracy in devination is astounding!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Ancient Runes - 06/09/08 04:36 PM
Originally Posted By: TrishPaganEd
I think quite a few scholars would agree with you Elle that the divination aspect came later.

Phyllis, I've never heard of runes originating in Greece. What is the name of the novel? I suppose we can chalk it up to artistic license.

I sincerely apologize, Trish! I was trying to remember what the book mentioned and thought it was Greece - I went back and checked and it did say Scandinavian, as Elle mentions. Apparently the manner of lettering is like Viking etches in stone.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Ancient Runes - 06/09/08 04:42 PM
Originally Posted By: ancientflaxman
About 40 miles from where I live is the Runestone Museum in Alexandria, Minnesota. That area is magik with the history of the those who at one time and a few who still use the Runes. Their accuracy in devination is astounding!

The accuracy in the divination is very profound at times - but, then each person will sometimes interpret based on what they want to know and their inner desires. One has to be very open and objective. I do not use them anymore, have not for years, but I remember they were very enlightening. I lost my book that came with them and there are different formats to follow in placing the runes and how to read them, similar to tarot.
Posted By: Trish-D Re: Ancient Runes - 06/09/08 05:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Phyllis, NatAmEd

I sincerely apologize, Trish! I was trying to remember what the book mentioned and thought it was Greece - I went back and checked and it did say Scandinavian, as Elle mentions. Apparently the manner of lettering is like Viking etches in stone.

LOL... No need to apologize Phyllis. I've done that with books too. My memory isn't what it used to be. I'm glad it sparked discussion any way.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Ancient Runes - 06/09/08 07:51 PM
Thanks, Trish. Have you ever used the Runes or other oracle for divination?
Posted By: Trish-D Re: Ancient Runes - 06/10/08 12:55 PM
I have used Ralph Blum's book and set, but it is very Christian oriented. That isn't bad, it just isn't what I want to learn from. I plan on getting Diana Paxson's book "Taking up the Runes" to learn and to review for the site.

I like the Ogham, a system based on the ancient Irish alphabet. I've been using "Celtic Wisdom Sticks" by Caitlin Matthews, but recently purchased a book by Erynn Rowan Laurie on the subject. I like to look at different interpretations as well as meditate with them and come up with my own.

To be honest, divination hasn't been my strong suit. I could see things about people during a massage or Reiki session though. The tools of divination I have used more for meditation and to learn truths about myself and spiritual concepts. But the Ogham seem to come to me more naturally than any other for divination which is why I want to learn more.

What about you? Do you have a favorite method of divination?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Ancient Runes - 06/10/08 02:49 PM
I do not use any divination tools anymore. Years ago, when I was searching for so many things in my life and inner knowledge, I used the Runes and the 'I Ching', both of which I found to be very enlightening. I reached a point in my life where mediatation and imaging/visions work better for me.
Posted By: elle Re: Ancient Runes - 06/11/08 02:56 AM
I use tarot cards subjectively to study my subconscious thoughts on an issue and learn more about myself and my higher self. I have always been intrigued by runes, though.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Ancient Runes - 06/11/08 05:32 PM
Runes can do the same as Tarot or other oracles. They allow you to study your subconscious thoughts. I do not place any religious factor on oracles, I simply used to use them as a way thru to my subconscious. I am glad you brought this up, Elle, because many people do not understand the reason for the use of oracles. I found that the Runes were more helpful than other tools, but each person will find their own best way to the opening of their subconscious.
Posted By: elle Re: Ancient Runes - 06/13/08 01:05 AM
I agree. I really still have a lot to learn with the tarot, but the more I use the cards, the more I love the simplicity of it as a tool, even while it seems quite complex. Every reading amazes me, because my subconscious is so open to playing along with it.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Ancient Runes - 06/19/08 04:11 PM
I would get some very accurate readings. Shay once mentioned some other kind of cards, similar to the Tarot deck, that she thought were very interesting. I will have to find out what those were.
Posted By: elle Re: Ancient Runes - 06/20/08 12:59 AM
Oh, I love your new avatar - so tranquil!
Posted By: Trish-D Re: Ancient Runes - 06/20/08 01:14 PM
Yes, I was thinking that too. Do you live near the spot you took the picture Phyllis?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Ancient Runes - 06/20/08 02:22 PM
I am not sure where that was taken. I got it off freefoto.com

They have a lot of really nice images for free.
Posted By: Kirsty - SF/F Movie Chick Re: Ancient Runes - 06/20/08 03:31 PM
Just wanted to say that one of the best books I have about Runes is "Leaves of Yggdrasil" by Freya Aswynn. It explains the tradition, history, mythology and meaning behind each Rune and has been very handy in learning how to "use" them. I bought it as part of my refereces for a college paper I was doing on Germanic traditions. Being of Scandinavian decent, I had heard alot about Runes but didn't "know" much about them. This book was invaluable!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Ancient Runes - 06/20/08 07:56 PM
Great, Kirsten. I will look that up. I think I want to get my runes back out.
Posted By: rainbowridergrma Re: Ancient Runes - 06/30/08 11:21 PM
I feel like all methods of divination lead to the same result-connecting to another vibration. During my journey I have used astrology, Silva mind control, dabbled in I-Ching and Tarot. The method that has worked best for me over the years, or given the answers that I can accept, is meditation on past life connections.
Posted By: Trish-D Re: Ancient Runes - 07/16/08 12:48 PM
As to your original question Phyllis, I've just started reading "Taking up the Runes" to review for the site and author Diana Paxson does tell of different theories of possible influences on the creation of the runes, one being Etruscan and one being Western Greek. Apparently, there was a Greek geographer who made contact with a Germanic tribe. I believe Elle mentioned a possible Latin influence.

She does go on to say there are many theories, but I thought this one was interesting to point out in light of your original question. It's a fascinating book so far and at 400+ pages I have my work cut out for me. LOL.
Posted By: Wendy Tall One Re: Ancient Runes - 07/19/08 01:21 AM
Runes sometimes work better for people personally because the best set of runes you can ever have is a set that you made yourself, or at least that is what was recommended to me. Mine were made of clay and I would sleep with them under my pillow to charge them with my energy.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Ancient Runes - 07/19/08 02:05 AM
Trish, thanks for the heads up - I will look for that book. It sounds very interesting.

Wendy, I used to sleep with my runes under my pillow also. It does give them your own energy force when you do that. I also would never let anyone else touch my runes and smudged them when I first bought them. I have never thought of making my own. That is an excellent idea! Thanks.
© BellaOnline Forums