BellaOnline
Posted By: Ninjahedgewych Pagan Nostalgia - 08/27/12 01:32 PM
Whenever Pagans get together around a fire sooner or later the talk turns to nostalgic items that no longer seen available. Such things as shops that used to sell loose leaf herbs by the scoop, herbal tea that came in waxed packets, and places that helped you to blend your own incense.

What sort of things do you miss from the past?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Pagan Nostalgia - 09/05/12 02:01 AM
Gathering wild herbs in the woods and meadows, forests and mountains.

Gathering herbs is a ritual in itself. Some herbs had to be used in a little ceremony (personal) on night of the full moon and in the nude. Has anyone ever done that?

I also miss having a healing garden of herbs and a magick garden. Living in an apartment with no private yard is hard to get used to.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Pagan Nostalgia - 09/06/12 01:47 PM
Do you have a little patio or other private sitting area, Phyllis? Maybe some potted herbs in such a place might give you some comfort in this regard. Many apartments don't have this luxury though and I can see how you would miss having a private yard. Perhaps a very sunny window could support a few potted herbs for you to enjoy.
Posted By: Ninjahedgewych Re: Pagan Nostalgia - 09/16/12 08:20 PM
Sounds like a good idea. I had the impression you were out in the countryside a bit rather than an apartment dweller. Is it more urban or rural where you are Phyllis?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Pagan Nostalgia - 09/17/12 10:45 PM
It is like country out back -- desert hills along a little mountain range. I gather my desert sage (non-culinary) out there for smudging purposes.

I have a little patio with small container gardens and can grow some herbs out there. This year I did not get a chance to plant much at all. Next spring I plan on getting more herbs and less flowers.

Nostalgia: did you ever find out about the wax paper lining in the tea boxes, Ian? I would think Celestial Seasonings would want to help their teas stay fresher.

Posted By: Ninjahedgewych Re: Pagan Nostalgia - 09/18/12 07:04 AM
In the UK I think they took all the wax linings out in the early '90s. They seem to rely on the plastic wrapping on the outside of the box- or people putting the tea bags in airtight tins or Tupperware frown
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Pagan Nostalgia - 09/24/12 04:36 PM
We still have the wax lining in the Celestial tea boxes. For my other teas, bags or loose leaf, I like to store in glass jars with with lids.

I am surprised that you do not have shops that sell loose leaf teas and herbs by the scoop. I purchase my herbs at an herb shop where they still sell by the scoop. I need to go there again to replenish my stock.

Do you still get products sold in glass jars? I save the gallon pickle (dills) jars for my herbs, teas, and other dry foods, like rice and beans. Many of our products no longer come in glass jars, but plastic jars that are not as useful because they are not easy to keep clean.

I also save glass jars for my beads. Do many pagans still make their own bracelets and necklaces? I have been saving special beads to make my own unique prayer bead necklace.
Posted By: Ninjahedgewych Re: Pagan Nostalgia - 09/27/12 07:05 AM
Lots of stuff in the UK comes in glass jars smile Linda saves some for her craft beads, as does her sister, and I still took seven or eight to be recycled yesterday. I think a lot of people in the UK are suspicious of what can leak from plastic, such as pseudo-oestrogens, and it does affect the taste of some products

Also on the bead front I've just finished setting up my latest book which is about Love Magick, and the Power of Love in
Magick in Lulu. I'll send you some of the chapter via e-mail soon. smile
© BellaOnline Forums