BellaOnline
Posted By: Laurie PK body art shows a body image problem? - 01/20/07 03:53 PM
I just read that body piercing, tattoos, and even extreme makeovers indicate a low body image. I guess the idea is that you don't like yourself the way you are, so you use body art to make yourself more attractive and boost your own self-esteem. Does that mean piercing your ears means you have a bad body image?

I've never had a tattoo (always wanted one, though), nor have I pierced more than my ears.....anyone out there with tats or piercings think it's indicative of a poor body image? And, does body art increase your self-esteem?
I have heard that piercings and tattoos can be a great way to show a rite of passage, and I think many cultures used them as indicators for this. My mom got a tattoo when she turned 60. I got my ears pierced when I turned 13 (definately a rite of passage grin) and I've been thinking about a tattoo for myself.
Posted By: Laurie PK Re: body art shows a body image problem? - 02/14/07 05:25 PM
A tasteful tattoo that you're proud to wear would be so cool - and if it's a lifelong dream, it'd be even better! I've always thought a small dolphin on my ankle would be coo, but never did it. I heard that the ankle would hurt because it's so bony, not like a muscle.
I have heard that about the ankle too... and where do I want my first tattoo? My ankle of course LOL (because I want to be able to see it and admire it :Grin:
I do not think this is the case. Maybe of course with a few exceptions but I doubt the majority of people who gets pierced and tattooed have body image problems.
I got a tattoo in 1982. It's a small butterfly and flower combo on my upper thigh. Butterflies on thighs were very fashionable back then, and I loved it - still do. I don't think it was anything to do with either good or bad body image, it was just a fun kind of adornment.

Now I'm 60 I'd like to get another tattoo to celebrate my Golden Girl years. A former colleague had a floral 'bracelet' tattoo around her wrist and It was very pretty, so I might go with that.

I have my earlobes pierced, but anything else - no thanks!
© BellaOnline Forums