BellaOnline
Posted By: beth_m cervical stenosis - 01/16/12 06:48 PM
Hi,

Looks like this website is not frequented much, but I thought I would try to ask. My husband and I just started trying to conceive. A few months ago when I stopped taking the Pill, my OBGYN informed me that my cervix is very narrow (called cervical stenosis). She told me that this will adversely affect my ability to conceive due to the sperm having to swim inside a more closed space to get into the uterus. I tend to defer with her opinion, because 1) I do fertility charting, and my cervical opening is very wide during ovulation, and 2) I don't suffer from amenorrhea (periods with no bleeding). Point in case: if blood can go from inside the uterus and through the cervix, sperm can surely pass through the cervix into the uterus.

Does anyone else have this seemingly rare problem and know how it affects fertility? At any rate, I will be seeing another OBGYN to get a second opinion.
Hi Beth, I have encountered women with cervical stenosis and one physician I know uses a technique where he places a substance called laminaria - which is actually a type of sterile seaweed - inside the cervical canal. The laminaria gently expands and opens up the space, strange but true. It may be good to seek a second opinion and make sure that you see the new doctor at your most fertile time when you think that your cervix is open to check if you really do have a problem or not. As far as I am aware, people with genuine cervical stenosis often have considerable menstrual pain. Hope this helps, Hannah, Infertility editor
Posted By: beth_m Re: cervical stenosis - 01/18/12 11:12 PM
Karen -- thanks so much for your reply!! I didn't think anyone would respond to this one. I will ask about the laminaria procedure. But based on what you said below: I feel as good as normal, my periods are VERY regular, rather light (since I quit the Pill), and I hardly cramp at all. No history of endometreosis at all. I wouldn't think anything would be wrong with me, except that this doctor told me I have stenosis. Unfortunately, I couldn't schedule the new OBGYN right on top of my fertile time (already having to wait 2 months to see her), but hopefully she would have some other insight about the condition of my cervix.
© BellaOnline Forums