BellaOnline
Posted By: ceejay What I love most about nursing... - 02/07/07 02:17 AM
Each of us wants something in life that stands out and to make a difference, and that is the biggest benefit of being a nurse. We might not save lives every day but I'm sure just holding someone's hands could make a huge impact.

The happy faces and other expressions of satisfaction after giving attention to the patient and their family is priceless. Nursing is bringing out the gentleness,the kindness,and unselfishness within us and to others.

How about you, what do you love most about nursing? Would you like to share your views?
Posted By: Rosie52 Re: What I love most about nursing... - 02/11/07 10:50 PM
Hi Ceejay!
Your right we don't always save lives everyday but its the little things that make a difference, like holding a patients hand when their scared or worried, or giving support to a family member. I think what I love about nursing is making a patient smile when they really have nothing to smile about.

I loved what you said that nursing is bringing out the gentleness, kindness and the unselfishness within us to others....... I do wish that more nurses were that way. I see so many "angry" nurses that come accross as though they hate what they are doing and it not only shows to me but to their patients.
Posted By: Tef Re: What I love most about nursing... - 06/08/07 02:15 AM
I went into nursing because I wanted to make a difference. I have been a nurse for over 30 years, and I know that I can do something everyday to make the path a little easier for someone.

I am presently a nurse anesthetist, but have been in many specialties throughout my career. That's the other thing I love about nursing - you are never confined to a cubby-holed job. You can branch out in almost unlimited directions and explore new and different aspects of nursing.
Posted By: michleboost123 Re: What I love most about nursing... - 07/05/11 06:38 AM
I am thinking to be a Certified Nursing Assistant. There are many reasons after this. First, i love to helps others as i am a compassionate person. Secondly there is a great future in nursing. Due to the increasingly healthcare system there will be a lot of nursing job in future.
Posted By: Astera Re: What I love most about nursing... - 07/05/11 06:52 AM
From one nurse to another-welcome onboard. A nice tribute to your profession.
Hello everyone,

I salute the nursing profession and if you could imagine me standing to attention or curtseying, then do so please. I think you are little pieces of God's heart on earth and oh so so important.

I could never have been one, I do not have the temperament but a group of Intensive care and General ward nurses once saved my late Mom's life after she had had an horrific motor accident. They gave my Mom back to me for 15 more years; how do you say thank you for such a huge gift?

Bless you all.

Cheers
AWESOME - we finally got some activity on this site. Love it!!!!
Posted By: Shaw Re: What I love most about nursing... - 08/11/11 09:26 PM
I just love my profession! I am like a mother to all my patients, its in my nature to love and care for people - that is why I am a nurse!
Posted By: bogert Re: What I love most about nursing... - 02/04/12 05:12 PM
I love everything about Nursing...Its not just a profession, But a life saving network..
I love nursing for many reasons, but the thing I love most about nursing may seem cliche - I love helping people.

Nursing allows us to be uniquely situated to offer help, encouragement, education, care, caring and nurturing to those in need. I have been honored to be the first human to touch new life as it entered the world and I have been privileged to be the last touch someone felt as they left this world.

To me, nursing is so much more than what I do, it is the very essence of who I am. I believe nursing is a calling.

Now that I am no longer a hands-on nurse, rather I am now a nursing educator, I still feel as passionate about what I do as when I gave hands-on care. Being able to help others realize their dream of becoming a nurse or advancing a degree, I receive the same satisfaction as I did when I was able to help a patient live a better life.

Nursing is hard work, its challenging, its frustrating and I think its the best job in the entire world!
My daughter just got out of the hospital a couple of weeks ago, she was there for almost a week after having her baby. Oh my, I could definitely tell the nurses who still love their job vs the ones who were not quite so happy. Nursing is a very difficult profession not just the knowledge level needed, buI I would imagine compassion and the emotions. Doing your job while being a patient and family advocate. I definitely applaud anyone choosing a nursing career.
Dianne,

I agree with you. The nurses who carry a passion for what they do still shine with that certain "something" which others can really see.

When I was first in college I was taught by Benedictine nuns who really lived the love of caring and it showed in everything they did and said. They shared with each of us students what a passion for nursing was all about.

I am glad that you were able to see another side of nursing. It is the most difficult job to do at times, it is emotionally and physically taxing, it requires many skills - from mental acuity to physical skills. But most of all nursing requires a heart filled with compassion and empathy. When we care we truly touch the lives of those we care for and to me that is the greatest honor and privilege.

I have been the first human touch someone has felt as they entered the world and the last human touch felt as they have left this life. Both events are an honor and privilege to be part of. I see many nurses still alive with that spirit.

I hope and pray your daughter and your new grandbaby are both on their way to excellent health.

Posted By: openminded Re: What I love most about nursing... - 10/08/12 11:05 PM
Finally a positive thread on nursing!! Sometimes the things I read makes me worry. If someones not happy about their job, it's just all around bad for themselves or even the patient. Going back to school this spring. Gonna finish up my sciences and hope I get into the program here. :-)
© BellaOnline Forums