BellaOnline
Posted By: Lisa - Moms Speaking Negatively About Others - 02/04/13 09:18 PM
In Judaism, there are comprehensive laws about speech and considerations to be made for - both - speaking negatively about someone and speaking positively about someone.

My latest article explains the notion of negative speech at the most basic level:

Lashon Hara - Evil Tongue
Posted By: Lisa - Moms Re: Speaking Negatively About Others - 02/04/13 09:20 PM
Here's a great story that illustrates the power and far reaching impact of negative words:

A Pillow Full of Feathers rom Chabad.com
Posted By: Lisa - Moms Re: Speaking Negatively About Others - 02/14/13 08:36 AM
This is a great story (above) and activity (first post) for anyone wanting to teach children about speaking in a positive manner......
This is a great article, and a nice story too.

When I was in my early forties I took a course with fellow students who were mostly twenty or more years younger than I was. It shocked me to discover how 'fashionable' it was with these younger people to say really mean, nasty things about others, for no good reason except they enjoyed doing it and thought themselves clever. The course leader - in his mid-thirties - was just as bad. He would see a picture of someone in a magazine and say horrible things about them, just because he found it fun.

It's so sad to think that this trait becomes a way of life for a lot of people.
Posted By: Lisa - Moms Re: Speaking Negatively About Others - 02/14/13 09:23 PM
It kills me, Grace. I have a few articles coming out on the Moms site about this very thing. DId you see the movie - Parental Guidance? I really liked it but thought it was a sad reflection of today's parenting and how misguided we are, how we are misleading our children and not preparing them properly..... I could go on and on.
I haven't seen Parental Guidance, from the trailers shown on TV I didn't think it would be my kind of movie.

It also occurred to me that this habit of speaking evil is responsible for the terrible effects of cyber bullying - even driving kids to commit suicide over Facebook hate campaigns.

I'll look out for your articles on the Moms site.
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Speaking Negatively About Others - 02/15/13 03:06 PM
There is a very thin line between critiquing and criticizing. On one hand, when we critique something, we are noticing what it is we do not want to choose for our own life experience. The end result should be that we live and let live without condemnation.

On the other hand, when we criticize, we are tearing down another person. There is judgment and condemnation.

One day, we will come to understand that everyone's choices helps us all to experience it all. It is as though we are a part of one body. Some of us are eye cells, others are ear cells, heart cells, brain cells and so on.

So, when we criticize and speak negatively about another, we are criticizing ourselves and the God who made us all and who loves us all.

Sometimes, people point out flaws in the name of humor (do you notice how cruel comic jokes can be?) They don't really mean the things they say; they'll do and say anything for a laugh. It's still not nice though.
Posted By: Lisa - Moms Re: Speaking Negatively About Others - 02/15/13 04:52 PM
Good points, Grace and Lori.

There is a fine line between judging and being judgmental. We have to judge in order to assess what is right for ourselves - as you said, Lori.

But, today, there is a whole new arena of 'judgment'.... crossing over into being mean just for the sake of being mean. To me, it means our children/teens do not have a strong identity, do not feel good about themselves, and do not have life direction.

I think it's sad.
© BellaOnline Forums