BellaOnline
Posted By: MegM_BusinessCoach Etiquette for Bellydance - 07/23/07 02:24 PM
Ronette's latest article, "Etiquette Talk with Gia al Qamar," has some interesting points on etiquette & why it's important for dancers to conduct themselves well.

I bellydance & teach mini lessons at a local Renaissance Faire & it's funny to see how different people react. I get little kids as young as 2 coming up and swaying with me. I also get some older folks who aren't used to moving their bodies at all, let alone moving it in a new way. It really is wonderful to bring this artform to those that have been curious about it.

I also notice those that look at me / us strangely for moving the way we do. I don't always dance with a bare belly. I sometimes keep covered & don't always wear jingles. For me, it's about the movement & the drum beat. Yet, there seem to be those that have the specific vision of the "belly dancing" showgirl / stripper as their thought of what a belly dancer is / should be.

It is up to us to give bellydance a good name, whatever form of the dance we do.
Posted By: Gia al Qamar Re: Etiquette for Bellydance - 08/16/07 05:09 PM
I am so delighted to know that you read and enjoyed the interview that Rhani did with me on Bella.
I feel very strongly that we each have an obligation to uphold the standards of this dance, both in form and in it's purity as a dance with a rich ethnic history.
The 'looks' that you got while performing are precisely the reason that I loathe dancers who sexualize this wonderful dance, rather than sharing it's beautiful, powerful, emotional and sensual nature.
Raq on ladies and thank you, in advance, for your welcome!
Gia
© BellaOnline Forums