BellaOnline
Newest article! Make Them Laugh

On a side note, who's your favorite female comedian from the article?
Gilda Radner who the reasons stated in the article. I saw clips of her sketches on The First Twenty Years of SNL show and fell in love with comedy that day.
Posted By: Craig58 Re: Make Them Laugh article plus new poll - 12/03/09 03:20 PM
This is a tough choice. However, I have to go with Carol Burnett because she is so good at everything she does. She had a wonderful run for 11 years on her on comedy-variety show. She was a hit on broadway in "Once Upon a Mattress". She has been great in films like "Annie", "Friendly Fire" and most recently "Horton Hears a Who". She has appeared on many other tv shows over the years, including on "The Lucy Show". All these ladies are great comedians, but Carol Burnett is a unique gem among gems.
Posted By: mary-tea1 Re: Make Them Laugh article plus new poll - 12/03/09 03:48 PM
This was a very tough choice, each of these women were not only funny conveying a character but most even created the characters!
Most of them were also multi-talented in many other areas: stage plays, acting(not funny), singing, authors and such.

it was a great list and those on your list are the best of the best.

Tina Fey is our Gilda of today. And perhaps to join the list, two more most likely should be added: Julia Louis Dryfess(spelling)and next Ellen Degeneres, thoughts?

Mary Caliendo
I had to pick Carol Burnett. She is funny even when she is just being herself and no one else could play her characters the way she did.
Yep, Carol Burnette - though I loved Lucille Ball as well.

But the Carol Burnette show still cracks me up every time I see it - I don't care what episode it is. Although Tim Conway was the real ringer on that show! laugh
Posted By: Craig58 Re: Make Them Laugh article plus new poll - 12/04/09 02:16 PM
Yes, we all watched The Carol Burnett Show to see if Tim Conway would crack up Harvey Korman and get him laughing. I wish there were DVDs of the Carol Burnett Show, but some of the great comedy sketches are on Youtube.

The Dentist - Carol Burnett Show
Carol Burnett as Capt. Kirk on Star Trek
The Zaniness of Tim Conway
Lucille Ball lead the way for TV comedienne greatness, but Carol Burnett has a finesse that is unrivaled. Several Burnett show skits have become have become family classics for me and my now grown children, like the dentist Novocain Skit (how many times has that been copied...) and the "To Open" Skit. Anyone remember "To open..."?

Great topic Caitlin! Keep those flames hoppin'!
Everyone seems to love Carol.

I should have included Julia-Louis Dreyfus. Shes is brilliant on Seinfeld
Posted By: Craig58 Re: Make Them Laugh article plus new poll - 12/08/09 09:29 PM
Sorry I am not impressed by Julia-Louis Dreyfus, but then I never cared for the Seinfeld show either.

Women I think are very funny are:
Carol Burnett, Lucille Ball, Vivian Vance, Imogene Coca,
Gilda Radner, Jane Curtain, Lily Tomlin, Whoopie Goldberg,
Phyliss Diller, Goldie Hawn, Madeline Kahn, Doris Day, Minnie Pearl, Eve Arden, Martha Raye just to name a few
Jane Curtain is great. She's my favorite SNL Weekend Update anchor. I like Lily Tomlin to. She's very funny.
Posted By: Craig58 Re: Make Them Laugh article plus new poll - 12/14/09 04:56 AM
Jane Curtain was not only great on the early years of SNL, but also on television shows like "Kate and Allie" and "Third Rock from the Sun".

Lily Tomlin is amazing. I still have her comedy albums of Geraldine the Telephone operator and a her little girl Edith Anne. What a fireball of talent she is. She creates amazing characters.
Agreed. I really like Third Rock from the Sun

Tomlin's characters are so unique! They always grab your attention
Posted By: Craig58 Re: Make Them Laugh article plus new poll - 12/17/09 05:11 PM
A handful of Laugh-In and SNL stars have become great film comedians.
© BellaOnline Forums