BellaOnline
Posted By: K i K i ISO... - 03/08/07 07:27 PM
...A houseplant!

It needs to be a plant that will do well in a mostly shaded area. It will only get partial sun, and even then it will be coming in through a patio door with a sheer curtain. I need something that won't get too large and overtake my apartment.

I also have a curious ACD mix dog who will most likely not touch the plant, but you never know, so it must be pet safe.

I don't do very well with plants and I'd love to finally have one! Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should be looking for? (besides someting plastic, lol!) Any help would be greatly appreciated- thanks in advance!
Posted By: Botanical Bella Re: ISO... - 03/08/07 11:27 PM
I would try a begonia, loves shade and is very forgiving.
you might also want to look into a ZZ plant, pothos, Cast Iron Plants (Aspidistra Elatior), ferns, spider plants (very pet hardy), ivys, parlor palms. the list goes on...there are MANY shade loving houseplants available to you. for easy care I would highly recommend ZZ and spider. As for curious pets, your ACD ( I have one too!) would have to eat the entire plant or be very young. and with good behavior training (ie. teaching him/her that the plant is yours and not theirs) your plant should be just fine. if not just put it up on a shelf or counter where they cannot get to it.
Posted By: K i K i Re: ISO... - 03/15/07 03:40 AM
Thanks so much, Wendy! I am planning on going out in the next few weeks to look for something and I wanted to be armed with a list of no-no's (Which I have) and a list of good possibilities which I now have with much thanks to you!

Your ACD is adorable! They are such great dogs-- I've never met another breed of dog with nearly as much personality smile
Posted By: Botanical Bella Re: ISO... - 03/27/07 09:41 PM
Personality is not the word for her, she is 4 months old today and quickly earned herself the nick name of "terrorist" she doesn't lick toes like normal dogs would...Oh now they are chew toys.
© BellaOnline Forums