BellaOnline
Posted By: lilsmom Tuesday as a girl name?? - 05/12/09 01:10 AM
What do you think? My daughter and husband want our little girl to be named Tuesday. (Long Story) We would give her a "normal" middle name, but what?
I think, if you want Tuesday as a first name, the middle should probably be something traditional and obviously feminine (to balance out the modern, gender-neutral first name).

Here are some ideas, off the top of my head:

Elizabeth
Katherine
Lucy
Sarah
Margaret
Helen
Jane
Susannah

Also, I would avoid middles that happen to be nouns (e.g. Grace, Ruby, Lily, Rose). Tuesday plus one of those could easily be turned into a joke, which would not be a lot of fun for little Tuesday.
Posted By: lilsmom Re: Tuesday as a girl name?? - 05/12/09 11:14 AM
Those are a little traditional for my taste. I do, however want something very feminine. The only one I like is Lucy and it doesn't flow very well with Tuesday. Any more suggestions? I wanted the first name to be Evelyn (Evy as a NN), but I feel it doesn't go with Tuesday either.
Posted By: rdywenur Re: Tuesday as a girl name?? - 05/12/09 12:00 PM
Tuesday Olivia
Posted By: Gillian ClassicalMusic Re: Tuesday as a girl name?? - 05/12/09 12:19 PM
What about Theresa or Thalia?
Posted By: Gillian ClassicalMusic Re: Tuesday as a girl name?? - 05/12/09 12:23 PM
Rebecca would be another nice one, you could shorten it to Becky if you wanted to.
Posted By: LynneT Re: Tuesday as a girl name?? - 05/12/09 02:09 PM
If you're not convinced, why not make Tuesady her middle name? Also, wasn't there an actress years ago named Tuesday Wells? So it's not that modern...
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Tuesday as a girl name?? - 05/12/09 02:19 PM
Tuesday Melody

Melody is very feminine and makes one think of cheerfullness and delight. What could be better than a Tuesday Melody? A song for Tuesday.
Posted By: GrannyH Re: Tuesday as a girl name?? - 05/12/09 04:17 PM
I would think there should not be any more problems or concerns with 'Tuesday' as there are with any other time-names; April, May, June. Autumn, Summer, etc. Didn't Nicole Kidman name her daughter 'Sunday'?

I really like Phyllis's suggestion for a middle name. My preference is that a middle name be a family member (sort of a family tradition for us). I would however stay away from Ann. Depending on her last name, her full name could be a problem; such as

Tuesday And Wednesday.

I would like to know what you decide. GrannyH

Posted By: lilsmom Re: Tuesday as a girl name?? - 05/12/09 08:45 PM
Hubby really likes Tuesday Corrine. WDYT?
Posted By: Mary - Irish Culture Re: Tuesday as a girl name?? - 05/12/09 08:58 PM
I like Tuesday Melody a lot. Sometimes you have to be a bit careful. I knew a girl named April May, and of course, her last name was June. There were quips: March! April May June!

Tuesday Wells was much admired (oh, I'm not going to say this...) "back in the day." (ow)
Posted By: LynneT Re: Tuesday as a girl name?? - 05/12/09 09:24 PM
Tuesday Corrine sounds good but I'd spell it with 2 'n's
Posted By: Silverwolf Re: Tuesday as a girl name?? - 05/12/09 09:55 PM
Why not tweak the spelling a bit like making it Twesday (But pronounced Tuesday)? That might set your kid out from the crowd.
Posted By: lilsmom Re: Tuesday as a girl name?? - 05/12/09 10:01 PM
[quote=Silverwolf] Why not tweak the spelling a bit like making it Twesday (But pronounced Tuesday)? That might set your kid out from the crowd. [/quote] Do I sense some sarcasm?
Posted By: Silverwolf Re: Tuesday as a girl name?? - 05/13/09 10:28 PM
Perhaps. But consider for a moment the way names are shortened by their peers. William for Bill, Pamela for Pam, Elizabeth for Liz, etc. What will they do with Tuesday? Maybe shorten it to Tuse or Toos or Tooz? I'd even wager that by the time she gets a cell phone as a teen she'd get text messages greeting her by texting "2s" as her name (less buttons to push). It just seems a sign of the times and how reality is played these days. (Shrug)
Posted By: Lady J Re: Tuesday as a girl name?? - 05/13/09 11:29 PM
I had a friend Tuesday AnnMarie growing up. We called her everything from tues, to tutu, to tutty. So what if a person doesn't liek the name or wants to shorten it to some weird form. The real thing is the daughter and her uniqueness whether or not her name is as unique.
Posted By: lilsmom Re: Tuesday as a girl name?? - 05/14/09 11:16 AM
My first daughter is named Lily. She's four now and has to go by Lily B. because there are so many Lily's in her class. AAAHHHH!
Originally Posted By: LynneT
Also, wasn't there an actress years ago named Tuesday Wells? So it's not that modern...

I don't think a single instance (or even several instances) of usage from the past really signifies much. It just means that someone from a generation or two back chose a name that was outside the box.

Right now, though, day names (Sunday, Tuesday, etc.) seem to be picking up steam. (I'm saying this based on anecdotal evidence. The trend hasn't shown up yet on the SSA popularity chart.) If this is indeed the case, and day names become a bona fide trend, they will be a modern phenomenon.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Tuesday as a girl name?? - 06/06/09 07:00 PM
Tuesday's child is meek and mild, so the old poem goes.

Tuesday Grace would be a pretty name.

Children will find nicknames for just about anyone's name, regardless of what it is. Kids are just like that.
OT, I apologize, but I just have to comment on this...

Originally Posted By: Mary - Irish Culture
I knew a girl named April May, and of course, her last name was June. There were quips: March! April May June!

"April May June"? Wow. That just seems cruel to me. Hopefully she took it in stride.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Tuesday as a girl name?? - 06/06/09 07:10 PM
My daughter once had a friend named April. Her last name was Storm. April Storm. She did not seem to mind and I think was rather proud of her name.
Originally Posted By: lilsmom
Those are a little traditional for my taste. I do, however want something very feminine. The only one I like is Lucy and it doesn't flow very well with Tuesday. Any more suggestions? I wanted the first name to be Evelyn (Evy as a NN), but I feel it doesn't go with Tuesday either.

I like the suggestions of Olivia and Corrine (any spelling, so long as it makes sense phonetically).

I have to disagree on Melody, though. Two nouns in a row like that -- especially when they form a phrase -- could elicit teasing. I'd say the same about names like...say, Scarlet Crystal, or Sky Raven, or Daisy Blossom. They just seem over the top to me.

Here are some other ideas for middles to go with Tuesday:

Alexa
Alyssa
Ariana
Chloe
Colette
Delia
Eliza
Fiona
Isabella
Jenna
Jillian
Marcella
Melissa
Odelia
Rosalie
Sabina
Zoe
Originally Posted By: Phyllis, NA and Folk
My daughter once had a friend named April. Her last name was Storm. April Storm. She did not seem to mind and I think was rather proud of her name.

It's great that she liked it.

I don't think all kids would necessarily take pride in a name like that, though. For certain children, a name like "April Storm" could end up being embarrassing.

But I'm glad that, for your daughter's friend, it ended up being a good name.
Posted By: Vance - Crime Editor Re: Tuesday as a girl name?? - 06/06/09 09:18 PM
Or in homage to the Moody Blues there is always... Tuesday Afternoon.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Tuesday as a girl name?? - 06/11/09 07:49 AM
Tuesday was named after a Norse War God. A Norse Goddess name for beauty is Freyja. Tuesday Freyja is a possible good name.

Or try Lillian, which is a symbol of innocence, purity, beauty.

Tuesday Lillian - I like that better.
Posted By: RhondaD Re: Tuesday as a girl name?? - 06/20/09 07:11 AM
I think Tuesday is an adorable name. In my opinion it is a youthful & feminine name; therefore it should be followed by a youthful & feminine middle name. Some ideas that come to mind are... Tuesday Danielle Tuesday Leanne Tuesday Marcele Tuesday Raelyn Tuesday Suzette Tuesday Breanne Tuesday Braelyn
Posted By: chica13801 Re: Tuesday as a girl name?? - 07/02/09 12:52 PM
personaliy, i love the name! See at my school no one would pick on that name, my school is small but its cruel too, if you have a name like "Mary" or some name of a character on a movie, but Tuesday would blend, and no one really ever knows the actual middle name, people tend to keep it to their selves. So no matter what you pick it wont really haunt this child. She will find it normal and whoever grows with her will also. Everyone gets picked on, but as long as this girl likes it, then thats the only one that needs to like it. I like the name Tuesday Ariela or Amelia. But thats just me! Good Luck!:)
© BellaOnline Forums