BellaOnline
Posted By: Delirium I don't want to curse her... - 04/23/08 01:37 AM
I'm twenty years old and though I don't plan on having a child anytime soon, I have been thinking about baby names.
One in particular I just love for a girl is Jezebel Meret (I would pronounce with a silent 't'). The middle name is ancient Egyptian and the first name... well, that's the problem.
I do realize the negative baggage the name 'Jezebel' has, but even so I love it all the same. I think it's such a pretty name!
However I would never want to give my (future) child a name if it would only inspire negative thoughts in the minds of those who heard it.
I've shared the name with people my age and they're not so familiar with the negative meaning. They like it. However I shared it with my mom and she immediately said it was not a good idea.
I wanted to get an outside opinion. Do you think the negative implication would still exist for my child's generation?
Thank you very much!
Posted By: Lisa_Orlando Re: I don't want to curse her... - 04/23/08 03:12 AM
Calling someone a Jezzebel is like calling them a prostitute or whore. Its not something I would call someone unless I wanted to be offensive.
Posted By: Delirium Re: I don't want to curse her... - 04/23/08 03:42 AM
I was afraid that was going to be the answer...
I definitely don't want to call my daughter a name that equates to 'whore'!
Thank you for the response smile Some other names I was thinking of include:

Odette Sariel (sah-ree-elle)
Analiese Mirielle
Angelika Faye

I'm partial to the first one; is it too 'out there'?
Thanks everyone!
I have to second what Lisa said. In my mind, Jezebel is one of those "off limits" names (like Lucifer or Adolf) that I would really discourage people from using. The name may fit well with modern tastes (it's almost like a cross between Jasmine and Isabelle, even) but the negative associations just can't be overlooked. Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines a "jezebel" as "an impudent, shameless, or morally unrestrained woman" -- not a way most parents would want to hear their daughters described.

I do really like your alternate choices, though. Odette is a great name that is really rarely used (at least in the U.S.). I love the flow of "Analiese Mirielle." I also really like it when something long is paired with something short, as with "Angelika Faye" -- I like how the names balance each other out.
Posted By: raleigh Re: I don't want to curse her... - 04/24/08 09:24 PM
I like the way Jezzabell sounds but I don't think you can get away from the meaning unfortunately frown
Posted By: Delirium Re: I don't want to curse her... - 04/25/08 04:02 AM
Yeah, I asked some ladies at work about it too - they all said BAD IDEA!
I'm not so sure I'll be having children anyway... coming up with baby names is more of a hobby than a plan for me I guess you could say ^_^
Posted By: GamerGrrl Re: I don't want to curse her... - 04/26/08 06:43 AM
I have a friend who's name is Ardriel. It was a combo of Arwen and Galadriel from the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Not particularly helpful, but I thought I'd toss it out there.

I'm also of the mind that anyone can name their child anything they want. Just because your name may "mean" one thing doesn't mean that's what or how you are. Ardriel has no meaning to it...yet the person is a very wonderful person. Names don't dictate personality.

But, then again, I'm a non-conformist and I do stuff like that just to make people mad... >.>
Posted By: elle Re: I don't want to curse her... - 04/26/08 06:59 AM
I think "Jez" would be a cute nickname though.

How about splitting the name up a bit and calling her something like "Isabelle Jez" or "Jessica Bella", or "Jazabeau" maybe? That last one would sound a tiny bit like Jezabel, but just out enough not to catch most people's ear.
Posted By: jeannie117 Re: I don't want to curse her... - 05/02/08 04:11 PM
@Michelle Jean: We actually have the same name, although mine's spelled "Jeanne." smile

Jezebel does have a negative connotation, yet I agree it sounds beautiful. Maybe you can use a name that sounds similar, like Isabel. But among the alternative names you gave, I like Analiese. smile
Posted By: Queen Mab Re: I don't want to curse her... - 08/21/08 10:49 AM
I'm chiming in late (I'm sure baby's already born & named) but Odette is gorgeous, a real name and uncommon enough. My neighbor's daughter is Galadriel, by the way...
Posted By: jlepe1 Re: I don't want to curse her... - 08/27/08 02:03 AM
There is one name that I have heard which is really similar. I think the name you like is beautiful and I think this one is pretty similar. I don't know if it has any negative meanings or what it means but I do know my neighbor's daughter is named like that. The name is Jasibeth. You can change the spelling in order to make it more unique to your own likes because I don't like how that spelling looks but I don't even know if its spelled right. Hope you like it as well!
Posted By: msbaby Re: I don't want to curse her... - 08/27/08 03:00 AM
You don't hear the name Odette very much, but I like Odette and maybe Odessa. On the Jezebel thing, I don't think I would name my baby girl that for the reasons already mentioned by the other posters. You might consider something similar like Jessamine without the stigma. FWIW I still here people referring to fast women as "Jezebels". My dad nearly had a fit when I was considering the name "Amber" because of a book called "Forever Amber". I suppose the book was racy?
© BellaOnline Forums