BellaOnline
Posted By: Lori - Marriage Baked sandwich for a crowd? - 11/12/12 04:38 PM
Hi Connie,

You know how there are recipes for a breakfast casserole that can be made a day ahead and can serve a crowd? Do you think you can come up with a recipe for a baked sandwich for a crowd? I love the "for a crowd" recipes for parties and overnight guests. It takes so much time and no one can eat together when you have to flip pancakes for a bunch of people so I love the breakfast casserole idea.

I once saw a way to bake grilled cheese sandwiches so you can cook up a lot at once.

I wonder if there is a sandwich idea that could turn out like a baked Monte Cristo if you pour on the egg-milk mixture like you do for the casserole. Then, just slice to serve?

Just thought I could tap your brilliant, creative mind! smile
Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: Baked sandwich for a crowd? - 11/12/12 04:41 PM
I guess one could make a bunch of sandwiches on hoagies, wrap in tin foil and refrigerate until needed. Then, all could be popped into the oven. OR, a large sub-type sandwich bread could be fixed ahead, baked later and sliced into servings.

But I was wondering about a different form of sandwich that could be made in a 13x9 baking pan like a sandwich casserole?
What time of day do you want to serve these? Also, you want a knife and fork sandwich, not a pick it up and chomp sandwich, right?
Lori, I've been waiting for our youngest son to come home from college before I tackle this one. He loooooves those eggy sandwich/casseroles. I am very frugal about wasting food. A young guy can help me polish off that special crowd pleasing sandwich.
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Baked sandwich for a crowd? - 12/12/12 02:54 PM
Thanks so much, Connie. Just in time for the holiday crowds. Although, admittedly, we are keeping it quite small and peaceful this year.

I thought about an Italian strata that is like a layered sandwich with bread and the eggy mixture baked on it. Then it isn't just for breakfast. When you think about it, you can make stratas with the same variations as a quiche.

I especially like mushrooms!
© BellaOnline Forums