BellaOnline
Posted By: Mexican Food Editor Stay Young with Yoga - 04/22/09 09:27 PM
Think you are too old for yoga? Think again! You are never too old for yoga. Read my most recent article for Staying Young with Yoga to learn more.

And here is an Inspiring Article about a 90-year-old Yoga teacher to warm your heart!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Stay Young with Yoga - 04/24/09 07:24 PM
That is amazing. I want to be that active when I am 90! It sounds like yoga is a great way to head in that direction!
Posted By: Mexican Food Editor Re: Stay Young with Yoga - 04/24/09 10:05 PM
Me too, Lisa!

I think with just a little yoga everyday we are on the right path!
Posted By: Claybird Re: Stay Young with Yoga - 04/25/09 12:34 AM
I know that I've told this here before, but bear with me. I recently celebrated my 75th birthday (3 quarters succesfully completed, looking strong heading into the 4th quarter and hoping to go into overtime!) and have been practising yoga for about 8 years. I am stronger and way more flexible than when I began, and keep getting better! Believe me, it is SO empowering to keep improving physically at an age when most people think we should be fading away. Gotta love that yoga!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Stay Young with Yoga - 04/26/09 12:14 AM
That is wonderful Claybird! Happy birthday!!
Posted By: Mexican Food Editor Re: Stay Young with Yoga - 04/28/09 05:24 PM
How inspiring, Claybird! It is so cool that you are continuing to get stronger and more flexible. The body is capable of so much more than we give it credit for.

How often do you practice and for how long?
Posted By: Claybird Re: Stay Young with Yoga - 04/29/09 01:30 AM
I try to do a yoga practise at least every other day. Currently I am taking 2 yoga classes a week, one at a nearby college campus is a 1 hour vinyasa practise and the other at a yoga teacher's home studio runs an hour and a half. At home I use one of the several Yoga DVDs I have and they run for 40 minutes to an hour. My other regular habit is a 25 minute exercise workout with Margaret Richards' Body Electric TV program every morning. That involves using weights and I have been following it for almost 20 years.
As you can see, I have made physical activity an important part of my everyday life. I have seen too many friends and family members fall into a sedentary life after they retired and no good came of it. Being a methodical type, I keep a record of it all on the www.presidentschallenge.org website where you can enter the activities you do every day and work toward awards. Seeing my total add up gives that extra little impetus I need.
Posted By: Mexican Food Editor Re: Stay Young with Yoga - 05/04/09 10:16 PM
Claybird,

That's really a wonderful strategy for cross-training and keeping yourself fit. I agree that it's important to keep moving as we age. For me the key has been finding activities that I genuinely enjoy doing so it seems much less like work and more like fun.
Posted By: Claybird Re: Stay Young with Yoga - 05/05/09 02:29 AM
True, enjoyment is the key. But I always remind myself that exercising produces endorphins that make you feel good, so even if I don't really want to work out I know that after a few mnutes I will be glad I did. The effect is particularly noticable when I go for a walk in the neighborhood. I may have to kick myself out the door but by the first corner I'm happy to be out walking.
Posted By: Mexican Food Editor Re: Stay Young with Yoga - 05/09/09 03:31 PM
So true Claybird! I always enjoy my walks once I get started. Fortunately I have a dog who loves her walks and won't take "no" or "I'm too busy" for an answer!
Posted By: joanj Re: Stay Young with Yoga - 06/13/09 10:38 PM
I am nearing my 60th birthday and in my yoga class I am younger than several others in there. I think yoga keeps us young and certainly flexible.
© BellaOnline Forums