BellaOnline
Posted By: Deborah - Yoga Editor Why do you practice yoga? - 12/18/10 07:20 AM
Hi Everyone!

I'm asking this question for a couple of reasons. First, I'd like the opportunity to get to know everyone a little better and second, I think it would be great to have a conversation about what it is that brought each of us to our practices. It's inspiring to hear others' stories!

So, why do you practice yoga? How were you first introduced? What is your favorite aspect of practicing yoga?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 12/19/10 09:53 PM
For me it is primarily stress relief. I work all day every day and my whole body gets tense from sitting in front of the computer typing all day long. It is hard for me to take a break from work - I feel like my todo list is always 100 pages long - but I know I *have* to or I will get sick and be unable to work. So I force myself to do yoga every few days, and it really does help me to be more efficient when I am working as a result. So it's "worth the investment".
Posted By: Jilly Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 12/19/10 10:01 PM
I agree - stress relief. It also feels good.
Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 12/19/10 10:56 PM
I'm fairly new to yoga but I love it so much. To me, it connects the mind, body and spirit. It is a form of physical meditation.

There are so many ways of exercising the body and muscles but yoga offers so much more that mere stress relief or muscle toning, to me at least.

I'm interested in all types of yoga, especially kundalini yoga.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 12/19/10 11:17 PM
I like flow yoga and basic hatha - holding the poses and relaxing into them.
Posted By: Linda19 Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 12/19/10 11:39 PM
I do not do Yoga as often as I should but I walk four dogs everyday and trying to fit 'exercise' or even 'relaxation' into my day is difficult.

Like Lisa I sit at the computer for most of the day so I get lower back pain. I have a very old Lynn Marshall - Wake Up to Yoga book and she recommends The Fish and The Cat for back ache.

But when I am in real pain there is nothing like finding an empty space on the floor and just lying in the corpse position, I have been known to fall asleep during this exercise.

Peace and God Bless
Posted By: Joan541 Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 12/20/10 01:31 PM
My dad has arthritis in his hips and has had one hip replaced already. When I see him barely able to get around, I am determined to stick to my yoga classes to try and avoid the same fate as i get older.

I really want to maintain my flexibility as I age and doing yoga makes me feel so much better in mind, body and spirit.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 01/18/11 06:45 AM
I also have to admit that I enjoy messing around with inversions because they feel so good. I feel all bubbly and giggly - happy inside - when being upside down. They really do a nice job on my mental space.
Posted By: BoomerGal Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 01/21/11 03:00 PM
I do yoga for flexibility.

I can really tell the difference in my joints when I do yoga on a regular basis. It also helps my breathing and stress levels but I love the way my body feels more balanced and loose after a good yoga workout.
Posted By: AdventureGirl Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 01/27/11 07:35 PM
I have been putting a lot of stress on my body just from everyday stuff and work so I need yoga to help me destress. Plus, I have lost a lot of my flexibility and I am just dying to get it back. I just started getting back into yoga and while it hasn't officially clicked with me, I think I am beginning to fall in love with it and am actually craving classes. I have ashtanga tonight and I'm excited! I try to do about 5 classes a week, but this week I will only make 3 because of the big snow storm in DC and not being able to practice.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 01/29/11 06:34 AM
Dear AdventureGirl -

I know what you mean - I only began classes recently and I really look forward to them!
Posted By: Kaycee Will Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 02/22/11 06:35 AM
I am practicing Yoga from the past 4 years and I think I can bend on most of the Yoga Poses, but there is still a lot to learn.
I do yoga every morning for rejuvenating my senses and getting energized for my whole day work.
If some day I miss Yoga because of any reason I feel sleepy the whole day. So it's a very important part of my daily routine.
Posted By: Radhika12 Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 05/01/11 07:05 PM
The best thing is in yoga after practicing it it is very easy to do as a meditation.It can relax my mind and body.That's why I like it.
Posted By: Dace Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 05/03/11 12:06 PM
Yoga helps me balance my energy flow.
Posted By: Lisa - Buddhism Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 05/04/11 04:40 PM
Yoga clears my energy field like nothing else. I first began it in college almost 25 years ago (dating myself!) because I was having headaches, and someone recommended it, and it definitely helped. But from there I got interested in Buddhism and meditation, and that became my core practice, along with martial arts, do I didn't do yoga as much. Now the last 8 years or so, I am back into yoga (the martial arts got too hard on my body), and returning to it after years of chakra meditation and other energy practices I really began to realize the importance of it for clearing out the energetic 'gunk' that can collect on out subtle bodies...there is nothing else like it!
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 05/04/11 04:55 PM
First time I tried it was to help with c-section recovery. Second time was to rehab hip flexor and back injuries.

These days I do it because it's fun, feels great, and helps me think more clearly.
Posted By: AprilAlisaMarquette Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 05/04/11 05:47 PM
Monica,

I love yoga for a couple of reasons. The stretching exercises are great. It helps me breathe better, and it really tones up the tushy!
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 05/04/11 06:15 PM
True! I noticed the other day when I was showing my boyfriends kids some warrior stance tips that I was in the pose for nearly 10 minutes and I felt nothing. My legs and butt have way better endurance and overall tone because of yoga for sure smile
Posted By: barney003 Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 05/05/11 05:27 AM
Look my friend. Yoga is the biggest healer of all. It relieves you from all the diseases and give you a new life. I makes you strong both mentally and physically. In all, It takes you to your inner self.
Posted By: stefaniesunny Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 06/11/11 04:20 AM
My friend love yoga, sometimes I practice with her. She said yoga can make us young and keep elegant body. Yes, it also can bring me good mood.
Posted By: kelly0403 Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 06/29/11 06:22 AM
I practice yoga to attain mental well-being and also to get physical fittness
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 06/30/11 12:59 AM
It's great that yoga brings both physical strength and flexibility to our worlds smile
Posted By: kelly0403 Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 07/01/11 11:25 AM
to attain mental peace
Posted By: Marina_J Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 07/05/11 09:40 AM
The practice of yoga and meditation has become increasingly popular in the past few years. I would like to give you good reasons why it would be a very worthwhile activity for you. Yoga and meditation will improve your health. Yoga and meditation will help you to overcome bad habits. Yoga and meditation will help you to lose weight. Yoga and meditation will bring you inner peace. Yoga and meditation will make you a wiser person.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 07/08/11 12:40 AM
Kelly -

I think peace is a great goal - we all deserve more peace in our lives!
Posted By: Marina_J Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 07/30/11 04:06 AM
The short answer is that yoga makes you feel better. Many people are initially attracted to yoga for the postures, thinking that practicing them will make them look better, which it can.You can also check local alternative newspapers or wellness magazines for listings or search online for "yoga" and the name of your town.
Posted By: harryson9890 Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 11/10/11 09:38 AM
I practise yoga because yoga is best acne treatmen Acne treatment.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 11/13/11 02:34 AM
Hmmm I have adult acne and I've not noticed any difference in the acne with doing yoga or not doing yoga. I do think in general that it's good to stay healthy and that a healthy body and healthy skin helps all of you to feel better.
Posted By: Finbar Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 11/23/11 01:00 PM
Hi dear, I regularly do yoga practice because it is very effective exercise for the health. It prevents from a numbers of deceases and also reduces the stress and depression. It Loses the weight and keeps us fit.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 12/20/11 02:11 AM
Definitely I agree that yoga helps reduce stress!
Posted By: Marina_J Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 05/07/12 07:07 AM
Good post.. Yoga is a good practice for relief and relax over the stress and it also help to make your body more flexible and attractive. And it increase the breathing level and after that you feel much better in mind, body and spirit. Thanks for haring this post.
Posted By: Davidryan Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 05/29/12 03:42 AM
Well Yoga is the best exercise not only for maintaining fitness as well as relax your mind . It is also good for weight loss . So people having overweight issue must do yoga for losing weight . People who have sleeping disorder should also do this .
Posted By: Davidryan Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 06/02/12 05:49 AM
[quote=Davidryan]Well Yoga is the best exercise not only for maintaining fitness as well as relax your mind . It is also good for . So people having overweight issue must do yoga for losing weight . People who have sleeping disorder should also do this . For more Information click here BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
I feel really good, relaxed and like I have a good type of relaxed energy when I am done.
Posted By: KayMichaud Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 06/04/12 10:57 PM
Hope I'm not too late to the party. I've been practicing yoga for about 7 years now. I don't know how anyone can go through life without it:) Ok Ok, maybe other exercises are fine too ;) I practice yoga because it helps me get re-centered and get back into my body, so to speak. I do yoga an hour a day, 3-4 times a week, for an and that is usually good to keep me feeling so alive and vibrant. ps. I'm glad to be here :)
Posted By: Davidryan Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 07/18/12 12:22 PM
Well Yoga is the best exercise not only for maintaining fitness as well as relax your mind . It is also good for . So people having overweight issue must do yoga for losing weight . People who have sleeping disorder should also do this .
Posted By: ancientflaxman Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 09/23/12 09:19 PM
I practice yoga daily except moon days. It teaches me how to breathe correctly and it will lengthen my life.
Posted By: Aricktom Re: Why do you practice yoga? - 10/15/12 07:03 AM
First time I saw my neighbor doing a posture in which his whole body is balanced on head laugh then I tried at home and started loving yoga :)then I do 200 hour teacher training.
© BellaOnline Forums