BellaOnline
Posted By: Jane - Native American Help us Name our Baby Hawks - 05/31/11 12:47 AM
Our hawks will be ready to leave the nest soon. Here's a list of the names suggested. Scroll down before you vote for a brief description of each. We'll be tallying up the votes and posting the results on Saturday, June 11th. But don't delay, get your vote in today and you can see how others have voted too.
Here's a description of the names suggested. A very special thank you to all who contributed.

Smokey & Bandit - for those who joined our little family recently, the hawks hatched while we were experiencing heavy smoke from the Swamp fires near us.

Balin & Dayita - These are Cherokee and mean Mighty Warrior and Beloved. It took a few days for us to see the 2nd little one and it was a much loved surprise.

Ceta (pronounced chay-dahn) is Lakota for Hawk
Luta (pronounced lue-dah) is Lakota for Red

Redbird and Keetoowah - Redbird is in honor of Redbird Smith, a Cherokee Elder who worked tirelessly to keep the Old Ways alive. Keetoowah was home for the Sacred Fire.

Talon & Keeper - These are abbreviations for Hidden Talon and Keeper of nest all to self

Tutka & We-wau - These are the Creek words for Fire and Water. Since these babies hatched, we've had plenty of both, and some hail.

Rebel & Yankee - While little, the hawks each stayed on their sides of the nest, North and South. With my husband from CT and me from SC, we've used these nicknames in the interim.

After you vote in the poll, why not share with us which pair you chose and how it spoke to you.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Help us Name our Baby Hawks - 05/31/11 01:19 AM
I voted Redbird and Keetoowah. Those names just spoke to me with a strong spiritual meaning and good feelings. The Old Ways have always been special to me and this is one of my goals in writing my book, to bring out the Old Ways for the youth of today to learn more about their Ancestors. The Sacred Fire that burns within all of us is there if we choose to let it shine.

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Help us Name our Baby Hawks - 05/31/11 05:15 AM
It was so hard to choose the names. I like them all and I am used to the names Rebel and Yankee. Since I already voted though, I will have to stand with Redbird and Keetoowah.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Help us Name our Baby Hawks - 05/31/11 03:22 PM
I like the symbolisms that go with Rebel & Yankee - North & South; roots of Jane & her husband.

Yet any name we bestow upon the feathered youngsters will have a meaning behind it and go a long way in showing a respect for nature.
Posted By: .... Re: Help us Name our Baby Hawks - 05/31/11 04:01 PM
I can't vote yet-not sure if I can really. One reason is, you have called them Rebel and Yankee for this while, so it's how you will naturally hear them in your head. Yes I like 4 of the options, but how can you make up your mind?

Giving personal names to wildlife, recognizes them as true individuals from any other birds on the planet.

The other reason I can't choose is because names bestow responsibility and power. This will give the birds the ability to change and evolve; not remaining static as in the western naming culture. Naming them could be a generous gift from you.
These are very good points. Yes, their nicknames will definitely stick with us, but could also be considered their childhood names. When one comes of age, it's time for a proper adult name. And they are getting close. As I type, Rebel is sitting away from the nest and already looks like a little adult.

Usually an adult name is bestowed by an Elder. I'm not an Elder and at almost 50 don't even have MY adult name yet. That's something I need to ask for this year, it would be an awesome birthday present.

With everyone here a part of their young lives, as a "clan" we can choose their proper names. I must admit, I have the same problem. I equally like 5 of them, and they all fit well.
Posted By: .... Re: Help us Name our Baby Hawks - 05/31/11 04:54 PM
So true!

Balin & Dayita-- full of character

Ceta & Luta--VERY partial to

Redbird & Keetoowah--strong liking for

Tutka & We-wau--very good names akin with nature

*sighs* I'm just overtired today so maybe some more thought is needed before I vote! Either way, I think we're all grateful that you're making us a part of these beautiful birds' lives! *hugs*
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Help us Name our Baby Hawks - 05/31/11 05:00 PM
I like your thoughts, all of your thoughts here. We are like a 'clan' and we all love our little ones.

I will always think of the little guys as Rebel and Yankee for the reasons Beetle gives. Soon they will be passage Hawks and on their way into the world -- they need to go forth with their childhood names tucked under their wings and their proper adult names bestowed upon them.

Can Chief Martin do this? You really need to have a little ceremony when their names are given to them. We can all be there in spirit. Oh! I am getting goose bumps, just thinking about a Naming Ceremony.
Posted By: .... Re: Help us Name our Baby Hawks - 05/31/11 05:40 PM
Great idea Phyllis!
As always, you're a balm to the soul!
Chief Martin would not be able to come to the house, but I will be at the Tribal Grounds Saturday morning June 11th. With bad storms, we arrived late for last month's meeting. Shortly after we walked in, the Tribal secretary said she needed someone to sit in for her this meeting, as she would be visiting family. I was "volun-told" it would be me.

With the Chief's instruction, we can hold our own naming ceremony. I'm sure he will approve of whichever names our little clan selects. He was laughing when my husband told him the nicknames. Like my husband, Chief Martin is also retired Navy and from up North. His wife is from the South. The nicknames fit for them too. I will definitely have baby pictures with me to share.
Posted By: .... Re: Help us Name our Baby Hawks - 05/31/11 10:42 PM
"volun-told" !!! I love it!!
Oh girl you know we can't get enough pictures of the little cuties!
Posted By: .... Re: Help us Name our Baby Hawks - 06/01/11 12:36 AM
I really looked at he pictures and decided to vote for Balin & Dayita.

They just 'feel' right somehow.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Help us Name our Baby Hawks - 06/01/11 01:21 PM
I like the idea of the 'nicknames' & then giving a proper name at a proper time.
Hello Everyone,

I have voted Rebel and Yankee.

It is what they are called. They showed respect for each other naturally as babies by sticking to their sides of the nest and the connotation for me is that they will carry that respect forward into their adult lives. It evokes a pride of place as well for me, of having been part of your lives, of having given and taken and then given more.

That they will become adults soon is thrilling for you both I am sure. I feel such power in these simple names which at another time in history (not mine!) evoked the heights of emotion both positive and negative. North and South have met; do meet and will meet again. We have a nice word here in SA in Afrikaans 'toenadering' which means a 'coming together' for positive purpose.

Rebel and Yankee. Yes. This would be my choice for these beautiful birds.

Cheers
"Toenadering" I love that word! Leslie, is it pronounced as it is spelled? I want to say it correctly.
We've got some great comments on the names so far. If you haven't voted yet, please do!

If you don't want to share your vote, that's OK. Know that each vote is sincerely appreciated.
There's only a few days left in our Poll. I'm thinking it will only be a few more days before our little ones are ready to leave the nest. Rebel is already flying around in the tree top. It might take longer for Yankee to be coaxed, or pushed out. She REALLY likes that nest!

Get your votes in soon and check out the new photos in "Hawk Nest Watch"
Hi Jane,

You pronounce the word 'toe' as in a short two or a French tu (not toe as in those at the end of your foot) and then 'naardering' (the a after the n as in the a in farther ... and as translated above, it means a coming closer, a closing of the gap between live beings, people (or birds) You would not use the word if you were speaking of moving the table closer to the chair for instance.

Me too, I like the word!

Cheers now
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Help us Name our Baby Hawks - 06/07/11 02:07 PM
I like that, Lestie - a coming together, a closing of a gap. Very nice.

Jane, I keep thinking about your little hawks and how joyful it will be the first time they take off into the air. I do hope you will get to see that. I can so visualize that time and feel what you will feel on that day. You and Tim have been so blessed to be a part of this and you have made us a part of it also. Thank you for all this wonderful sharing.
OUR POLL ENDS TONIGHT! Please get your votes in before midnight.
Right now, the votes are very close and we could really use a few more.
Posted By: Dawn - Alaska Re: Help us Name our Baby Hawks - 06/10/11 12:42 AM
Well I went for Redbird and Keetoowah. I am usually drawn to those who honor and try to keep old ways alive and the Sacred Fire is also a part of honoring the old ways.
Blessings sent for your beautiful ones.
Well, we ended up with a tie between
Redbird/Keetowah and Rebel/Yankee

Here's my thought
Rebel/Yankee are their childhood names and will stay with them whatever their adult names are.

So Rebel will become Redbird. He is a quick learner and preserving knowledge was a life-long priority for Redbird Smith.

Yankee will become Keetowah, since she has "kept" the nest much like the Sacred Fire is kept burning.

Thanks to everyone who voted!
Posted By: .... Re: Help us Name our Baby Hawks - 06/10/11 04:23 AM
*claps*
Excellent solution! They're growing so quickly!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Help us Name our Baby Hawks - 06/10/11 04:28 AM
Jane, this is so wonderful. Rebel and Yankee will always be their endearing childhood names and are symbolic of a coming together of peace and love.

Going forth into the world with their adult names of Redbird and Keetowah is so symbolic and appropriate for the reasons you gave. They will be Keepers of the Heritage and forever keep the fire burning in our hearts with the loving memories they have given us.

I am sure they will stay close to you and Tim and their home for quite some time. Even when they do venture farther, they take with them love from all of us, the clan, tucked under their wings.
© BellaOnline Forums