BellaOnline
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Back Porch Folk - 07/23/10 05:38 PM
We're baaaa-ack!

Ol' Granpappy and I missed this ol' cabin and decided to move back home. I dusted out the cabin, spiffed up the front porch, potted some pretty geraniums, and got the place a lookin' just fine.

Granpappy is up the hill and back in the woods repairin' and cleanin' up his ol'...shed. I can see the dust a flyin' from the back porch.

Yesterday Granpappy and I gathered a ton of apples from the ol' orchard and I have been bakin' up a storm here. Got applie pie, apple brown Betty, tarts, dumplings, and caramel sauce to dip apples in. Come on over and help us eat it all up.

Bring your banjos, fiddles, tubs, spoons, washboards, anything you can play music on. Oh! and wear your dancin' shoes. We are gonna have us a good old-fashioned, foot-stompin', hoot-and-holler shindig!

Bring your friends. This is a place where we can pretend and put ourselves back into the old days when life was simple and folks gathered on the Front Porch. So..let go of the stress and daily tasks for a few minutes and join us for fun!

Posted By: "Rosie" Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/23/10 06:38 PM
I'll bring the ice cream for the apple pie
And see if i can find B to join us
Glad your back smile
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/24/10 06:46 AM
Alright, Rosie! I knew I could count on you to bring something good to our shindig. What a Gal -- what a good neighbor!

If you can get B here it should be a blast. Hope Vance shows up, too.
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/24/10 10:47 AM
I looked behind the shed by the creek
For both Vance and B
Thinking they were fishing
But they weren't there
Hope there not into the moonshine again
Posted By: flower70 Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/25/10 08:56 AM
I went to the creek this morning, to take in a bit of fresh air and the nature around me. Boy does that sure feel good. The creek with the sound of water flowing is so calming, i feel sleepy again, i splashed a little water in my face, took a deep drink and walked back to the porch to meet with the others.
Posted By: Vance - Crime Editor Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/25/10 01:22 PM
Here I am. Sorry was helpin' Granpappy fix the...shed. I have to take the buggy into town for some copper tubing....er...um...I mean I have to run an errand for granpappy.

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/25/10 03:34 PM
Welcome back, Vance. I knew you would show up sooner or later. Bet ol' Granpappy is happy to see you.

So...how's it going with the... shed repairs? Hope you guys don't blow up anything back up there.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/26/10 02:54 PM
I might sit a spell or two iffen we can plink off some varmin with slingshots
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/26/10 10:40 PM
Sure - glad to have ya come by anytime. Plinkin' off those varmins will help the chickens to settle down. I never was too good with a slingshot, but with a 22 I could pop a rat right off its tracks.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/27/10 03:14 PM
I thought that if we kept things silent, it wouldn't raise the suspicions of the distant neighbors. They�d know we're shooting at something they�d prefer be cook up for BBQ & be running over with drool hanging from their lips. Don't like them unruly pesty kids of theirs chasing down the chickens or tyhrowing rocks at the horses.

Maybe we could do archery or crossbows? Even air pellet guns!
Posted By: Phyllis - Folk/Myth Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/27/10 07:05 PM
Silence is better! Speaking of silence -- where did Granpappy go?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/27/10 07:08 PM
Is that him over there with a drooped head under the straw hat in the motionless porch swing?
Posted By: Phyllis - Folk/Myth Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/28/10 05:54 AM
Ya! It sure is. He is supposed to be playin' the fiddle so we can start this shindig a goin'. I am in a dancin' mood. Anybody got spoons, a banjo, or a geetar?
Posted By: flower70 Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/28/10 11:00 AM
If ya don�t mind i�d like to play the wash board insturement. I love the music it makes.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/28/10 12:02 PM
Got's me a Jew's Harp (kinda borrowed it from the Parfleche Game)

Hate when that twanger smacks the teeth & the lips get numb from all the vibrations, but I'm sure it will add to the hooten nanny. (Finding the origination of that term sounds like an article...)
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/28/10 09:51 PM
Hey! great idea, Beetle! "Hooten nanny" -- hmmm... where did that come from? Lots of folk terms have come from and gone to obsurity. It will be fun to research that.

Right now I got to get out there and hoot and holler to the neighbors down the hollow to get their..um...wagons loaded with food over here for the shin dig.

The washboard will be great to add to the music, Flower. I will drag out Granpappy's wash tub and broom stick and check the string on it.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/29/10 11:51 AM
You'll have to pull out the tub. Cuz he's still over there with a drooped head under the straw hat in the motionless porch swing. But now Ole Blue has taken a couple turns a laid down beneath him. Hope Granpappy don't step on Blue's tail when he awakes.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/29/10 03:55 PM
Wouldn't that cause a ruckus?

Pies are done. Shall we have them warm with ice cream?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/29/10 04:08 PM
Warm pies and the ice cream covered with sorghum molasses would suit me just right.
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/29/10 04:10 PM
Sounding mighty good to me
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/29/10 04:37 PM
Even warm maple syrup over the vanilla ice cream would beat the heat!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/30/10 09:34 AM
I'll go for that!

Warming up my banjo here:

I got a girl in the Sourwood Mountain, hi ho didle oh day
She won't come and I won't call her, hi ho didle oh day
Hey, old man I want your daughter, hi ho didle oh day
Bake my bread and carry my water, hi ho didle oh day.

Rooster crow on the Sourwood Mountain, hi ho didle oh day
So many pretty girls I can't count them, hi ho didle oh day
Big girls love, the little ones spite you, hi ho didle oh day
Big dogs bark and little dogs bite you, hi ho didle oh day.

Sarra, Sarra, let's go walkin', hi ho didle oh day
Kiss me quick and stop your talkin', hi ho didle oh day
Sheriff, sheriff, can opposy, hi ho didle oh day
Someone stole my darling plossy, hi ho didle oh day..

(to hear melody, click on the following link)

Sourwood Mountain
Posted By: Vance - Crime Editor Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/30/10 05:38 PM
Granpappy's quiet on the porch swing because he had a whole jug of corn squeezins' a little bit ago.
Posted By: Phyllis - Folk/Myth Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/30/10 10:09 PM
Well...howdy, Vance! Who gave Grapappy the corn squeezins'? Oh, well, he will wake up as soon as the music gets to goin' here and once we start stompin' on the porch.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/02/10 12:54 PM
Get stompin' too hard and loud & Granpappy might begin a thinkin' the neighbors are feuding again
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/02/10 08:36 PM
Leapin' lizards! We don't need Granpappy a jumpin up and grabbin his 30 ot. I would not want to wake the Hatfields. They are fair to midlin' peaceable lessen the McCoys get riled up. Maybe we should wake the hounds and put them on duty then just sit roun' tellin' stories.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/01/10 08:43 PM
Harvest time is coming up. Anyone gonna have some goodies to share on the Front Porch? I will be down in the paw-paw patch if'n y'all need me. Just give a hoot n holler.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/02/10 10:52 PM
Time to start harvesting the rest of the corn and other vegetables. Granpappy is digging holes out back to store the potatoes in for the winter. He will put in a layer of straw, a layer of potatoes (they cannot touch each other), straw, potatoes, etc. till the hole is filled. The holes are about 2 feet deep. The top layer is straw and he places a few rocks on it to keep it from blowing away. When he finishes this, we will have taters all winter long.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/14/10 08:51 PM
My mother invited my sister and I over for supper last night. She had baked an apple pie and it was soooo good! We sat on the front porch after supper eating the pie and ice cream. It was just like the old days when we were kids and the family gathered on the front porch. So enjoyable.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/19/10 08:49 PM
Halloween is sneaking up fast on us. Walking down into the hollow and up the other side to visit folks is getting rather scary. Do you have any scary experiences when out late at this time of year?

Folks roun' here have some mighty scary tall tales to tell. What are some of your favorites?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/23/10 04:48 AM
Halloween is coming on fast! What are your plans?

Folks back in the old days often lived so far apart that trick-or-treating was not much fun, so they had parties instead and invited folks from all over the county.

Does anyone have these type parties anymore? If you had the perfect place with a barn, an old orchard and lots of dirt roads around, what would you plan for your Halloween party?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/23/10 03:24 PM
I would start the festivities early in the day with breakfast and then good old-fashion games for kids and adults alike.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/28/10 09:15 PM
I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day. Granpappy is still munching on turkey sandwiches and pumpkin pie. I made some turkey soup with dumplings if anyone wants to come on over for supper. I got the fire going and a huge pot of hot chocolate to warm up you folks.

Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/29/10 04:52 PM
Oh, YEAH! Turkey, stuffing, yams, etc., etc.

All the remaining turkey was made into a turkey ala king, but I pulled out enough for one more plate of thankfulness. Not sure who got stuffed more - me or the bird.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/29/10 09:31 PM
Mmmm! Turkey ala king sounds great right about now. The yams my mother prepared this time were sooo good. Her and I are the only two who like yams, but we ate them up.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 12/07/10 06:47 PM
Granpappy and I are decorating the cabin with Christmas lights. Nothing fancy, just lights and holly wreaths.

Are you decorating outside this year? My brother does a great job in his front yard with reindeer and lights on the house and fence, and a Santa Claus at the front door to greet everyone. It is really pretty.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 12/07/10 07:11 PM
Just those ice-blue LED icicle lights under the gutters & eaves across the front. Garage, porch & Second-story BRs/Bath. Those 2nd story eaves are accessible by the sharp sloped roof & my ladder isn't quite long enough. Able to get a loaner for the day & hopefully designed to permit hook-n-pole from my ladder in the future.

Weath on door & the tree visible through the open window in the front sitting room.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 12/07/10 07:15 PM
That must be very pretty, Beetle. A lot of work -- hope you will be careful.
Posted By: Alice - Senior Living Re: Back Porch Folk - 12/07/10 08:10 PM
I love my neighbor's decorations. She has Santa in a hot air balloon. It takes up most of her yard.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 12/07/10 08:33 PM
Those hot air balloons are cute. My sister has one with snowmen and Santa in it. It also plays music.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 01/15/11 03:50 AM
I finally did it, folks! I got all my Christmas decorations organized this year and packed away in the correct boxes and labeled -- this will make next year's preparations for the holiday so much easier.

Now -- on to Valentine's Day. This year I plan to make my own valentines like I used to do years ago. I want to focus on Victorian style cards, with hearts and birds and flowers. I can use laces, ribbons, dried flowers, and all my old templates for the birds and hearts. This is going to be a very old-fashioned holiday family project, like the folks back home used to do.

Anyone else making their own valentine cards? If you have some ideas for making your own cards, we would love to hear about it.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/07/11 03:28 AM
Hey Rosie - Vance is back. Ol' Granpappy sure missed him. Come on up to the front porch, Vance, sit a spell and chat with us. Watcha been up to lately?
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/07/11 05:30 AM
I actually have a box of victorian style valentine's from a couple of years ago, so I'll use those up this year. But I thinking making my own sounds fun!!!

I just found a box of Christmas ornaments!!! OY! How did they not make it into their box???
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/07/11 06:49 AM
Originally Posted By: DeannaDreams/Spirituality

I just found a box of Christmas ornaments!!! OY! How did they not make it into their box???

laugh Oh! that is funny, Deanna. I found some Christmas ornaments that somehow missed the box that is now in the bottom of the closet under Valentine's and Easter and Halloween boxes. This happens every year.

I would love to live in a castle, where I can have a room for each holiday. I could just close off the room when the holiday is over and open up another room for the next holiday. No packing and storing in boxes! smile
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/08/11 04:10 PM
Your castle idea is a very good one Phyllis laugh

I had a snowflake ornament hanging on my rear view mirror in my truck. I just took it down yesterday :sad: I miss it. I'll find something else now - maybe it's time to decorate for Valentine's Day!! YES!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/08/11 08:55 PM
Just put a red heart on the snowflake to use as a Valentine.

Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/08/11 09:12 PM
Yeah, a true natural laced doily.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/08/11 09:16 PM
Cool! A Victorian type valentine.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/09/11 06:09 PM
But the image of a 'Cold Heart' doesn't seem befitting Valentine's Day.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/09/11 06:26 PM
Well...that certainly is true. I remember, when I was quite young, that my Dad gave Mom a valentine that made her blush and she hid it from us kids. All we saw was that it had a little red devil on the front of the card. Hmmm...I wonder if she still has it?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/09/11 07:46 PM
If she didn't share, then 'Inquiring minds have got to know' lol
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/10/11 12:26 AM
I will be staying with her again next month for 2 weeks....
Naw! wouldn't seem right to snoop. Women have a right to their little secrets.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/08/11 11:03 AM
After some lovely spring weather and warm days for a few weeks, we are back to winter weather. Cold winds, low temps, and snow have driven us back inside. The snow is not sticking, just flirting with us.

What is it like where you live?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/08/11 05:11 PM
Uneasy - no one knows whether to come into the office on Mnday, yet!

< Remember: I live outside DC & work at a office in the shadow of the Capitol. >
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/08/11 05:16 PM
Oh, Boy! That is a tense area right now. Do you think they will reach an agreement tomorrow?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/08/11 05:28 PM
They have until midnight tonight & then it becomes lock the doors & go home. Luckily, my job is funded outside of USG $ and I'll continue on, but may have to live on PBJ since wife is a govy.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/08/11 06:23 PM
Well...I can send you some cup-o-noodles. I switched to PB&J myself. Got tired of the noodles. Besides, you can always do your yo-yo upgraded act on the corner.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/08/11 06:32 PM
The act won't generate much tips with everyone else facing a domestic budget crunch; or the lack of tourists with all the facilities locked down. I could charge for tours of my cubicle - yeah, that's it.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/08/11 06:34 PM
Awesome! Offer PB&J fancy sandwiches and you got it made.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/08/11 06:38 PM
Yeah - a tour & meal. Eat like a congressional staffer for one day.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/08/11 06:40 PM
cool You are on the right path! That should go over big time.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/08/11 06:59 PM
Wonder which forum will get my 25,000th post...
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/08/11 07:02 PM
OMGosh!!!! Go for it, Beetle! This is so cool, Dude!

Mine! Pick mine!!!

Congrats!!!
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/08/11 07:20 PM
Did I see you feverishly waving your hand in the air?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/08/11 07:22 PM
You betcha!
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/08/11 07:24 PM
Yo-Eleven - winna! Pay the front line.
Life is a craps shoot - winners & almost winners.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/08/11 07:29 PM
I got some iiice crrrrrreeeeam - I got some iice crream!
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/08/11 07:44 PM
We can put it in these empty cones...
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/08/11 07:45 PM
Waffle or Sugar? I love waffle cones!
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/08/11 07:47 PM
Ummm... ooops.... sorry. Seems the box didn't adequately protect the cones when fell on them after tripping druring a zig, when I should've zagged through the rain. Do crumbs work as a topping?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/08/11 07:50 PM
Crumbs are fine. We can sprinkle them on. Just need to find a bowl or something to put the ice cream in -- no, no, no, not the pocket! Here - use my hat.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/08/11 08:18 PM
Just crummy people here, eh?

Ice cream in trouser pockets doesn't leave a very good image.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/08/11 10:21 PM
laugh No, I guess it would not.

Who are you referring to as "crummy people"? Come to think of it, I am feeling rather crummy right now -- I have been having trouble keeping my hand from getting into the basket of Easter candy I bought for Grandson. I ate four mint patties!
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/11/11 04:38 PM
Yikes.... Keep the jelly beans away from me or there won't be any.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/11/11 04:42 PM
I like the black ones...save those for me.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/11/11 04:52 PM
oops... they make nice cat toys, too.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/11/11 04:56 PM
Awww! The cat took the black ones.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/11/11 05:10 PM
Looking out on my little mountain, I just saw a rabbit running up the hill. shocked Could it be......
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/11/11 05:15 PM
Yes! Peter Cottontail.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/11/11 05:39 PM
Oh, joy! I found him. I thought he was carrying something.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/11/11 07:19 PM
Well, I rightly don't think he can carry a tune; so, it must be something special.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/11/11 11:04 PM
Ya think? Cadbury's Eggs?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/12/11 06:19 PM
aw, ha ha, Yolk's on you... maybe chocolate covered jelly beans?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/12/11 08:20 PM
Never heard of chocolate covered jelly beans. Yolk's on you!
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/12/11 08:54 PM
That's what Peter had falling out of the basket, right??? The Bunny Trail?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/12/11 08:58 PM
Oh!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/12/11 09:10 PM
OH!!! that is yucky! You are such a witty guy and jokester. You must be one of my brothers in disguise, right?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/13/11 06:32 PM
Ta dahhhh ... I'm not a brother in disguise. Just another one of those wise guys. <whoa - that rhymes>
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/13/11 06:34 PM
You are a poet and didn't know it!
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/13/11 06:48 PM
I have flat feet - They're *LONGFELLOWS*
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/13/11 06:51 PM
*LONGFELLOWS* ?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/13/11 06:53 PM
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was an American poet. Should've been an apostrophe before the 'S' to show ownership to him.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/13/11 07:07 PM
But what does the "flat feet" have to do with Longfellow? I know...I need another Mimosa to clear my head.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/13/11 07:11 PM
=====----- \~/
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/13/11 07:17 PM
Thank you so much. Nice blender you have there.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/13/11 07:19 PM
Blender? It's shaken, not stirred... A Bonded item.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/13/11 07:22 PM
Oh! Well, nice shake you got there. wink whistle
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/13/11 07:27 PM
Watch it...... This is a family oriented subject, during prime time.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/13/11 07:40 PM
Sorry! I just could not resist that one. Set ya up for it, huh?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/19/11 04:46 AM
Granpappy dun gawn back up the hill to his shed. He ain't speakin' ta me. We had a tiff! We'd go back n furth, a'fussin n a'fitin over the same groun till we wuz too riled up to member innymore wut twas all bout.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/19/11 04:45 PM
Granpappy came back down the hill and we have made up. I am going to bake him a Blackberry pie (his favorite) and he brought me some flowers.

What a guy!
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/20/11 07:03 PM
C'mon, you know how bad it stains his dentures. But we all get a laugh out of how he looks.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/20/11 07:16 PM
He loves it when we all are laughing -- doesn't always know what we're laughing about though.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/20/11 07:30 PM
And it's best that he forgets about it 10 minutes later...
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/20/11 07:41 PM
Yeah or he mite think I wuz a'funnin him or sumthin.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/20/11 08:10 PM
O who will walk a mile with me
Along life's merry way?
A comrade blithe and full of glee,
Who dares to laugh out loud and free,
And let his frolic fancy play.

Granpappy likes poems - it relaxes him.

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/21/11 04:53 PM
Bored? Come on over and help me transplant seedlings into the garden. We have corn, squash, beans, peas, carrots, all sorts of vegetables and herbs to plant. Gotta have a big harvest feast come this autumn.

After planting we can have us a celebration and dancin' on the front porch. Let's all sing:

A peanut sat
On a railroad track,
His heart was all a-flutter,

Then around the bend
Came number ten.
Toot! Toot! Peanut butter!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/05/11 02:28 PM
Granpappy just plunked himself down in his rocking chair on the front porch and said, "I ain't movin'! I'm a gonna stay rat here and watch the young uns play."

Granpappy's tired. We have been working in the garden planting seeds, seedlings and all sorts of things. He just wants to sit and see what is happening.

I sat his cup and a pot of hot coffee on his little table and he asked for his banjo -- "In case I think of sumthin' good to sing 'bout", he said.

Have you got your planting done? How is your garden growing? Mind those weeds now.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/07/11 07:35 AM
Sittin' on the step of the porch
Just a watchin' ol' Granpappy sing.
His shed went up like a torch,
Now he's lookin' for something to fling.

Two thousand times we tried
To rebuild his shed again.
Many folks lookin' for a ride
To get here and help him stay sane.

I was sittin' in the mornin' sun
Still sittin' when the evenin' come
Watchin' the hounds run in...
Then I watch 'em run away again.

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/09/11 05:47 PM
If I could not see it, I would not believe it -- after two weeks or so of lovely spring weather and comfortable temps, it is very cold and snowing! My feet are near to frozen.
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/10/11 07:23 AM
SNOW frown Yikes
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/10/11 01:36 PM
It snowed off and on all day yesterday. Early morning was very overcast and cold. What happened to our lovely Spring?

The clouds are starting to fade away and the sun is peeking over the little mountain.
Posted By: Jane - Native American Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/18/11 04:44 PM
For Heaven's Sake! What is goin on round here? It's May already and I'm stokin a fire!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/18/11 04:58 PM
I do not get it! I just turned on my heater. So far this morning we have had sunshine, rain, hail, thunder clouds (no thunder yet), and sunshine again. But, it is still cold!
Posted By: .... Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/18/11 05:33 PM
57F/14C here. Cloudy, rainy and occasional thunderstorms. I'm not keen on rain, but it makes for the most beautiful shade of green in leaves and grass. Eventually, when I've posted enough I'll be able to show photos.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/18/11 05:37 PM
It must be lovely where you live. I just heard Voices of the Thunder Beings off in the distance. I love thunder storms. When the Twins (Thunder and Lightning) prepare for battle the air gets so vibrant. Here in the desert the Thunder seems to roll on forever. So exciting!
Posted By: .... Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/18/11 05:56 PM
Very much so! The trees, the mountains, they echo the pattering rain and rumbling bass thunder will all of their might. Bursts of light flash through the clouds, playfully chasing each other across the sky. To stand and feel the powerful sobs of thunder through the souls of my feet, retains an echoing sentiment in my heart. Would it be enough to say I love thunder storms too?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/19/11 01:56 AM
laugh That is obvious from the way you describe how thunder storms make you feel. I become very energized during thunder storms -- yet it makes me humble to realize the power of Nature.

Great Granddaughter, You descend from a noble people. I have been studying the ways of the Lakhota for quite awhile. Nicholas Black Elk is one of favorite people to quote.

The first peace, which is the most important, is that which comes within the souls of people when they realize their relationship, their oneness, with the universe and all its powers, and when they realize that at the center of the universe dwells Wakan-Taka (the Great Spirit), and that this center is really everywhere, it is within each of us.

This is the real peace, and the others are but reflections of this. The second peace is that which is made between two individuals, and the third is that which is made between two nations. But above all you should understand that there can never be peace between nations until there is known that true peace, which, as I have often said, is within the souls of men.

Black Elk - Oglala Sioux

You will love our Native American forum. Jane, the editor, is so much a part of Nature. Right now, we all are anxiously awaiting ever day to hear about her little family of Hawks that have a nest in her yard. Just Click Here to enter the Native American forum.

Or - go to the 'Travel & Culture' list, click on Native American.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/19/11 05:06 PM
Since you're on the theme, I really love this picture, 'Calling Thunder'

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/19/11 05:09 PM
Absolutely beautiful. Thank you, Beetle.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/19/11 05:13 PM
Who is the artist? Did you paint this? Lovely!
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/19/11 05:22 PM
I have no artistic capabilities like this. I'm searching for the artist... Have seen printed on T-shirts.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/19/11 05:23 PM
Hmmm...I can check with Paul Burke at First Peoples USA. He may be able to find something on it.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/19/11 05:35 PM
I do remember it was on a T-shirt available from Southwest Indian Foundation. They aren't stocking it in there web-store.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/19/11 05:39 PM
I sent an email to Paul and hope to hear back from him. I have never seen the print before. Did you check on the internet under the title? I can do that now.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/19/11 05:53 PM
I cannot find anything on the net. If I hear back from Paul I will let you know. I can go check out his site.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/19/11 05:54 PM
I found under the title 'Summoning the Storm' and the artist is listed as David Penfound, a fantasy poster artist. Source is www . popartuk . com
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/19/11 05:58 PM
Wonderful! Do they have it in stock?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/19/11 06:04 PM
It is a print. Are you going to order it?

Summoning The Storm

I would love to see that framed. Oh! I did see it framed. on the next page I chose the Domed Gloss Black to see what it would look like -- very nice.

How much is 83.98 pounds in US currency?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/19/11 06:06 PM
T-shirts are plentiful all over the internet with his artwork prominently displayed/available at many sites.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/19/11 06:10 PM
I put it in a frame on the "frame it" page. Domed Gloss Black - very pretty.

So how do I find the t-shirt? Type in the print name/his name?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/19/11 06:22 PM
You could do that - you have artistic capabilities. Just get a white or black t-shirt and I bet you could really paint a good picture on it.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/19/11 06:32 PM
'Summoning the Storm T-shirt' into a search engine... will yield a bunch of sites.

Why don't I just try to use up my 18/o seed beads in peyote stitch - sure that will break a lot of needles or beads as the thread is passed back through...
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/19/11 06:37 PM
Applique? You still got 18/0 seed beads? Peyote stitch bracelet?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/19/11 06:39 PM
OH YEAH! More than I can use in the near future. Mostly hanks were purchased as I was getting the colors needed for my military ribbon project.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/19/11 06:39 PM
A medicine bag! Bead a medicine bag to go with your ribbon shirt. Yes?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/19/11 06:45 PM
Sittin' on the step of the porch
Wastin' time, ime, ime , ime
Watchin' the houns run in
then I watch em run away again
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/19/11 06:58 PM
You could sell them "down on the corner" as you do your "Yo-Yo Gig". I will hold the sign up.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/19/11 07:55 PM
And toss air pillows around.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/20/11 07:22 PM
Now there's an idea...
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/20/11 07:32 PM
Aw! Cool! I love to watch your expertise in action. What a joyful way to start the day. smile

I will hold the tin cup, too, for some extra pocket change in case we need more supplies. Shall I sing or dance?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/23/11 06:48 PM
I'm not sure you should do either. Should anything negatively happen I would appreciate your running to call '911'. Being too tired from dancing would slow you down & singing could rob your voice. hmmm ... need to think this one over.
Posted By: .... Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/23/11 07:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Phyllis-Folk/Myth
laugh That is obvious from the way you describe how thunder storms make you feel. I become very energized during thunder storms -- yet it makes me humble to realize the power of Nature.

Great Granddaughter, You descend from a noble people. I have been studying the ways of the Lakhota for quite awhile. Nicholas Black Elk is one of favorite people to quote.

The first peace, which is the most important, is that which comes within the souls of people when they realize their relationship, their oneness, with the universe and all its powers, and when they realize that at the center of the universe dwells Wakan-Taka (the Great Spirit), and that this center is really everywhere, it is within each of us.

This is the real peace, and the others are but reflections of this. The second peace is that which is made between two individuals, and the third is that which is made between two nations. But above all you should understand that there can never be peace between nations until there is known that true peace, which, as I have often said, is within the souls of men.

Black Elk - Oglala Sioux

You will love our Native American forum. Jane, the editor, is so much a part of Nature. Right now, we all are anxiously awaiting ever day to hear about her little family of Hawks that have a nest in her yard. Just Click Here to enter the Native American forum.

Or - go to the 'Travel & Culture' list, click on Native American.

It's a wonderful forum!! Jane has way of captivating her readers with her honest writing style. Oh! and the hawk pictures! So gorgeous and precious to see all of them from grandmother (I'm so partial to!) and the little babies!
I love that quote from the Oglala Sioux!
For me, peace is so much more than just a 60's concept of rebelling against war! It's a beautiful combination of serenity in our surroundings, seeking quiet joy in Nature, and the calm acceptance of the souls around us, be they animal, tree, person or sky.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/23/11 09:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Beetlemess
I'm not sure you should do either. Should anything negatively happen I would appreciate your running to call '911'. Being too tired from dancing would slow you down & singing could rob your voice. hmmm ... need to think this one over.

How 'bout I just sell hot dogs? OR - I got it!!! Sell videos of your best performances?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/24/11 04:50 PM
Would those be digital, VHS or Beta-Max? Hate to find that I can't collect royalties from any YouTube postings...
Posted By: AprilAlisaMarquette Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/24/11 05:03 PM
I'd like some of Rosie's apple pie. I'll bring the bbq ribs.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/24/11 05:06 PM
Would those be digital, VHS or Beta-Max? Hate to find that I can't collect royalties from any YouTube postings...

How about all three types? Would digital be best? I would not want to endanger your royalties - but, fans are already screaming for videos of your act.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/24/11 05:09 PM
Screaming - running & hiding...

Trick or Treat!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/24/11 05:09 PM
Originally Posted By: AprilAlisaMarquette
I'd like some of Rosie's apple pie. I'll bring the bbq ribs.

I love Rosie's apple pie!!! BBQ ribs will be fantastic, too. I have plenty of salads and even ice cream for the apple pies.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/24/11 05:19 PM
Can't forget sugar wafers to go along with the ice cream & pie...

I'll bring those.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/24/11 05:25 PM
Great! this will be a wonderful potluck. I am cookin' up some oven baked brown sugar chicken drumsticks.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/31/11 03:54 AM
Beetle, I like the popart UK site. I love that pic of Summoning The Storm. It will look so good on the wall above my bead work table.

I also like this poster at the same site:
I Want to Believe

Believe it! - Belief is one step closer to the truth and the truth sets us free.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/31/11 03:26 PM
Maybe you could do a flat bead project of 'Summoning the Storm'... Naw, too many variations of colors to achieve the affect.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/31/11 05:07 PM
With some serious thought, I think that can be done...I have so many seed beads of many colors.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/31/11 05:15 PM
Applique would bring out the best relief; yet, lane or a flat peyote could be a beadwork challenge.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/31/11 06:06 PM
What if I combine the techniques? I have seen it done on some art work with beads. The Shaman and horses in applique - the rest in a combination of peyote and lane. Yes?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/02/11 10:33 AM
Granpappy is very concerned with all this rain we have been having. He keeps telling me to get the sheep inside the barn because, as he says,

"If'n ya don't get them sheep outta the rain they might shrink up!"

Can sheep shrink? Why or why not?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/02/11 03:07 PM
Need to go get some SCUBA (underwater breathing apparatus) gear for Granpappy to herd the sheep, then. Maybe it will come in handy while puddle-hopping (hehehehe). Could really be useful when needing to use Granpappy's two-holer...

Wool on sheep doesn't 'shink' when wet due to ... WHOA! think I'm going to tell all. I've been telling the sheep to stay away from the puddles to prevent losing their fluffiness.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/02/11 06:09 PM
Whoops! secret almost slipped out there.

Granpappy will look mighty funny in SCUBA gear. Hope he does not spend all his time diving in the puddles. Some of those sheep are also thinking the puddles look very inviting. They will not be fluffy white sheep much longer if Granpappy does not get busy herding them in.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/02/11 07:57 PM
Almost quittin' time. Be safe.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/03/11 04:32 PM
Today - almost quitting time, too.

Have to scoot up I-95 to Wilmington for a OA Conclave this weekend. Hope Granpappy has a great weekend.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/03/11 05:03 PM
Have a great weekend, Beetle. Have a good time at OA Conclave. Granpappy is feeling his oats today and running up the hill to his shed right now.

Be safe.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/03/11 05:06 PM
'His Oats' rhymes with 'Old Goats'. Maybe I can jingle up a diddy on the subject. That's a Ba-a-a-a-ad idea...
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/03/11 05:10 PM
Aw! come on -- you can jingle up some pretty good diddies. I liked your little marching song for the muddles.

He is rather an old goat, come to think of it. Him and his 180 proof - Poteen!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/03/11 05:16 PM
Fuddle, duddle
I fell in the puddle
up to my buddle
in the muddle
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/12/11 08:19 PM
Well...until this forum spirit problem is worked out, I am just going to sign off and sit here in my mud puddle and enjoy squishing my toes in the mud. laugh

Chat with yall later. smile
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/14/11 05:05 PM
I have an appointment at 10:30 and will be back later. Have a nice day everyone.
Posted By: .... Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/14/11 05:09 PM
cya later. we'll keep the music waitin' on ya wink
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/14/11 06:13 PM
Thanks. I am back earlier than I thought. Have to go in on the 27th for minor surgery on my nose - a cyst.
Posted By: .... Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/15/11 05:00 PM
a cyst? does it hurt? are you okay?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/15/11 05:10 PM
No, it does not hurt -- it is itchy at times and I often scratch it during my sleep which causes it to bleed. I am fine. I am a bit scared to go back to have it taken off. I mean - it is my nose they will be working on.
Posted By: .... Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/15/11 05:34 PM
aaaaw Phyllis!
*big big hugs*
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/16/11 12:19 AM
I guess we all have our good days and our down days. Today has been a total crying session for me.

Fear of the unknown and great concern over my sister has been with our family since yesterday. She fell at work, hit her head on some glass doors and cracked a vertebrae in her neck. She is lying in the hospital in braces and not doing too good right now. There has been concern of a concussion also. I had to leave suddenly earlier today to ride along with my Mom and brother to go over to see her and be there when the doctors came in to give us results of all the cat scans. She will be alright and the fracture should heal as long as she stays in her brace for 8 - 12 weeks. The whole family has been praying for her. We all will have to make sure that when she is allowed to go home that someone is with her 24/7 for however long it takes for her to heal.

There are several other issues I am finding it difficult to deal with and have been trying to get through it all.

Then when I got home I had a message from a friend I greatly admire and whom I think I might have offended. It would break my heart if I did and if it caused a rift between us.

It is hard for me to let my emotions get the better of me, but they sure did today and this time I just let it happen. I just let go and cried it all out, sobbed it all out and prayed for peace.

I am fortunate that when I broke, another dear friend was there for me and helped me through it all. I thank Creator for friends who stand by me when I need someone.

I am still crying every time I think of all the stuff going through my head, but I feel the strength coming back and I am grateful for friends. What would we do without them?

I decided to write this all down to let others know that it is not good to keep emotions bottled up. I have so often told others that crying is a healing process that cleanses the heart and soul. I allowed myself to go through that process today and it really does help. I can now focus on being there fully for my sister and her family and realize that what I have told others works for me, too.

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/22/11 06:56 AM
Sister is home and healing. Many prayers from many family members and friends are helping so much. She will be in her neck brace for at least six months -- they found more fractures in the same vertebrae, so it will take longer to heal than originally thought. She is eating better, can get up for short periods and is in a much better emotional and spiritual state. She is happy to be home with family.

Thank you to all my friends who prayed for her.
Posted By: Rann - Cancer site Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/22/11 08:28 AM
Phyllis-
I just now read your post about your sister. I appreciate how candid and open you were in your other post. It's hard when things pile up, it appears you have family to help and friends that care. That's a blessing for sure. I'm getting ready to sign off, and I will say a prayer for you and your sister before I go to sleep. Rann
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/22/11 03:54 PM
Rann, thank you so much for your kind words. And thank you for a pray for my sister. That means so much to us.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/23/11 04:38 PM
Granpappy is at it again: Poteen!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/28/11 05:56 PM
Thunder Beings are getting ready for action. I can hear rumbling in the distance and lots of thunder clouds building up here.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/28/11 06:14 PM
You just gonna havta quit standing on the hill over the canyon & 'Calling Thunder' - a lil rain dance don't hurt the lawn, either
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/28/11 06:27 PM
Oh! well...thanks for reminding me bout that - just getting used to not being afraid of heights and love calling thunder! Preparing for rain dance....moving back from edge of hill over canyon.

I need a t-shirt with a nice logo on it for summoning the storm.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/28/11 06:43 PM
Just pull out the old Morton Salt shirt you got at the last craft festival... or was that a lot longer than the last???
Old motto written on it: 'When it rains, it pours'
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/28/11 06:55 PM
Ah! good idea. Lot longer ago. Rain is on its way. I am dancing up a storm here.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/28/11 07:23 PM
Wasn't that the shirt that Granpappy used to filter the squeezin's?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/28/11 07:37 PM
Dayum! Gotta find another shirt! Doggone ol' Granpappy!
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/28/11 07:43 PM
That's right! Folk might reckon you are campaigning for the town lush position.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/28/11 07:51 PM
Nawwww! Just promotin' Granpappy's Poteen.

The rain is coming, I can smell the freshness in the air! It is snowing up in the Sierras.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/29/11 03:35 PM
Almost sounds like Christmas in July - Yipee
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/29/11 03:41 PM
It rained here all night and is still raining. Not heavy, but constant. More snow is up in the mountains.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/30/11 06:31 PM
Temp is supposed to get up to 94 today - bright, clear skies, beautiful! Supposed to reach 100 by Monday. This is Nevada - rain, snow, high winds, thunder, cold, hot, all taking turns to keep us wondering how to dress.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/01/11 03:34 AM
Bad timing for me to go gather more sage from my little mountain. I walked out back with my basket just before the sun went down. It was cooler and the breeze felt so good, the fragrance of sage drifting along...and that big ol' Bull snake lounging near the groupt of bushes I usually head for.

This must be the same one my daughter saw a few weeks ago. It was all curled up, and looked quiet comfy. I slowly backed away, so as not to disturb him and came back inside. Darn! I was so anxious to get away from it that I did not think to take a picture of him.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/01/11 04:05 AM
Phyllis, I love your front porch idea.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/01/11 04:12 AM
It is lots of fun, Connie. Thank you.

Sometimes we get ol' Granpappy all riled up and he stomps away to his little shed up the mountain path. laugh
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/01/11 05:50 PM
never really know what he does when he gets there...
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/03/11 01:31 AM
I made one of my refreshing beer messes...a low-cal beer, small can of V-8, pepper sauce, and half a lime. Put it in a pint Mason jar and enjoy! I'll bet it would go well with fry bread.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/03/11 04:38 AM
That sounds very good, Connie. I sent you the fry bread recipe in a PM.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/03/11 04:42 AM
never really know what he does when he gets there...

No one really knows - except that his 180 proof Poteen is very popular.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/19/11 05:07 PM
Looked everywhere around West Virginia last week, but never found anything that rivaled granpappy's still.

... but here's a link to the summary video shown at the closing assembly last Friday. Some perfect places for granpappy to take up business again.

Scouts Building Trails for US Park Service at New River Gorge WV - Week 2
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/19/11 05:29 PM
Ahhh! thank you so much for sharing that video with us, Beetle.

Good grief you guys work hard! I think I saw you a few times in the video.

Granpappy is very pleased with your comment about his special project back up the hill.

I bookmarked the video page so I can view the other videos later. I have to get ready to visit my doctor and get some stitches taken off my face and ear. Had minor surgery a week ago for removal of suspicious looking cyst and a mole.

Thanks again.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/19/11 06:03 PM
I do appear in the video - which is mosttly devoted to the youth; as it should be for the Order of the Arrow, a youth-run, youth-led organization. I do appear it at a bus drop-off point in a yellow hard hat & chest pack w/ radio (around the 4:10 minute mark). I'm the scruffy one taking after granpappy & not shaved for a week.

It is good to be back in air conditioning & the temperatures are suppopse to be on the climb by end of this week... Poor guys, but Friday is recreation day & an optional raft trip on the river.

Now to set my sights on the first week of August a the Indian Summer event. I hear the drums now.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/19/11 06:17 PM
The Indian Summer event is going to be awesome from what you have before mentioned. I bet everyone involved is looking forward to that. Have you ever been on a raft trip?

I have never gone on a raft but did take a rough ride on the Russian River in California in a canoe. We capsized in the biggest rapids and my then husband managed to get out from under with his six pack of Budd tightly under his arm. He left me to fend for myself. After finding my way up out from under the canoe, I dragged it and myself to shore - but, hey! the beer was safe and enjoyed long before I got there.

I am so amazed and so inspired to see there are so many young people who are motivated to such hard work and dedicate themselves to the good of our environment.

Can I share the video on facebook with my family and friends?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/19/11 06:45 PM
I have to leave for the doctor visit now. Chat later. Thanks again, Beetle, for sharing those wonderful young people and their dedication with us.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/19/11 06:48 PM
The link to the video was posted on facebook by an acquaintance, who was there on staff - so why not?

River Trips - um... Upper Colorado rafting the early thaw in June (cold very, cold water & oh such a fun ride), rafted Green River in Utah, canoe on the Shenandoah, &, YES, I did run the New River. Water was not too intense with it beeing late in the season, but the water temperature was warm. Now I want to include the Grand Canyon & the Gauley.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/20/11 11:07 AM
Grand Canyon?!!! I wanna go, pack me, I wanna go! That has always been one of my dreams - to see the Grand Canyon in person. Maybe some day I will get there. I would love to take one of the tours from the Trading Post - on horse back.

Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/20/11 03:27 PM
you mean mule back? They are a bit more sure-footed.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/21/11 12:50 AM
You are probably right - a mule would be more sure footed and better for me. I saw the Canyon Trail Rides site once and thought that would be so much fun. As long as I do not have to ride along a trail just a few feet wide and way high up. I have only gone through the canyon once up really high and that was in a blimp! smile That was scary! I had complete trust in the pilot though, so I did survive the joy ride - even after he pulled some pretty daring stunts. Will never forget that!

Would you ever walk out on that Sky Walk over the Grand Canyon? That would be very frightening for me to do because it is all glass and one can look straight down for miles to the bottom of the canyon. With my luck, if I found the courage to go out there, the person I was with would start jumping up and down making me think the whole thing would collapse with me on it. Or he might just try doing a yo-yo act on a unicycle... shocked ...while Granpappy is sitting back on solid ground laughing his head off at me standing in shocked, frozen terror on the glass.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/21/11 05:24 PM
Granpappy so loves his Daffodils, so I found a poem for him:

Daffodils a poem
by William Wordsworth

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced, but they
Out-did the sparkling leaves in glee;
A poet could not be but gay,
In such a jocund company!
I gazed�and gazed�but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/22/11 06:02 PM
Beetle,

Does the New River have a lot of rapids? Is the Gauley close to the New?

I think I would feel safer in a canoe in the river at Grand Canyon rather than on horse or mule back. The pack train would be ok if they stay on low ground. I would love to see the Havasupai Falls.

My grandson is the type that would enjoy rafting and canoeing. He loved Kayaking. I am helping my daughter look into some classes and groups for him. I wish he was in the BSA - that would be the best for him.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/22/11 07:27 PM
Yes, the New has quite a few rapids & the Gauley is in the immediate vicinity/WV county. The Gauley is only run for 6 weeks in the Autumn when the flood gates are opened on an upstream dam. New was running 'normal' & didn't have the great 'bouncers' that I expected.

Had many rapids in succession on the New, with little float time in between each series. Despite its name, it is the oldest river in North America and was around before the Appalachian Mountains were elevated. We must've passed through close to two dozen (24) rapids in the 8-mile river run. We ended just after the New River Bridge that is featured on the reverse of the state quarter for WV

Colorado through the Grand Canyon would still have to be the granddaddy of any US river run (in my book), with the steep canyon walls & the desert atmosphere.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/25/11 01:32 PM
That has got to be a lot of work, having no rest time between the rapids - fun though, once you get through and stop to rest. That really gets adrenaline flowing!

I did not know the New was the oldest river in North America, that is really interesting. The New River Bridge is really impressive. We are having a steel arch bridge built out here between Carson City and Reno. Of course it is not as spectacular and high as the one in the Gorge, but for out here it is rather impressive.

Aww! the Graddaddy - Colorado River, Grand Canyon picture taken from Hermit's Point:

Now that is impressive!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/25/11 06:50 PM
Good morning - or afternoon - to all. Today is doctor day and tests so I will be in and out all day.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/27/11 03:34 AM
Beetle, when you are out with the OA, like at New River, what is the chest pack for that you wear? Is that like for emergency use in case of accidents, etc.?

I watched the video again and just am so amazed to see young people that dedicated to hard work. These youth have been well trained and have such good attitudes. To see youth instilled with these qualities is really encouraging. They take their responsibilities seriously yet still enjoy it all.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/27/11 02:20 PM
You must've seen the picture on Facebook that has me tagged...

That is my BCLSS (BackCountry Life-Support System). It restricts/confines my chest to prevent rapid breathing & hyperventilating from the thrill of being away from the office & Washington, DC.

Actually, we were using Park Service radios to communicate & they wanted us to carry them in the provided chest harnesses. Crew Chiefs were issued a GPS (I was a Division Superviser with 7 crews in my branch of the effort's organization & didn't rate one of theirs). These are the same style harness is used by forest fire fighters. It is suppose to help protect the radio, due to it being carried close to your own vital organs - because if you slip/fall/etc, you usually try like heck to to protect the front side of the body & face.

I was also able to include my personal GPS & cellphone into the other two pockets.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/27/11 03:13 PM
"That is my BCLSS (BackCountry Life-Support System). It restricts/confines my chest to prevent rapid breathing & hyperventilating from the thrill of being away from the office & Washington, DC."

Are you teasing me? You silly boy! I am happy to know you have something to keep you going strong. cool Must be great to get away from DC for awhile - what with all those yo-yo s spinning up and down.

No, I did not see the pic on FB - I will go look. I had just seen the video. I had seen some chest packs at REI when looking for some camping equipment/backpacks and wondered what they were used for.

Is Indian Summer next week? What will the crews and troops be doing during that event?

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/27/11 03:29 PM
Nice pic on FB. It is good to see you guys get a break to relax a little.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/27/11 04:27 PM
Actually that picture was taken at the National Guard facility before deploying out in the morning. That's why we look so well-rested.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/27/11 04:36 PM
Ah! So at the end of the week you must have looked like Granpappy?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/28/11 05:09 AM
I gathered more lavender today to dry for sachets and potpourri. My cottage smells so wonderful with the scent of lavender drifting through it.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/28/11 04:38 PM
Beetle,

Indian Summer with OA is coming up I believe.

I would love to have you share more about this event and how the youth do with their projects, etc.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/28/11 06:22 PM
I learned sharing in Kindergarten... Let's see what happens!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/28/11 06:29 PM
You do not have to share if you do not want to. smile
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/28/11 06:49 PM
I'm going to be more enjoying myself, but I guess I can check on the youth once in a while.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/31/11 04:10 AM
Granpappy will be mighty bored without Beetle here for a whole week. I promised ol' Granpappy we can have a hoe down when Beetle gets back. He asked me to bake some cookies and holler over the hollow to have Rosie bake up some of her famous apple pies.

Yoo-Hooooo, Rosieeeeee....

Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/31/11 05:10 AM
I'll bring some chocolate zucchini cake for everybody.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/31/11 05:26 AM
Chocolate zucchini cake? I have never tried that. I love zucchini bread though. And I love chocolate...
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/31/11 05:36 AM
Julie from Computer Careers had a great recipe.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/02/11 10:52 AM
Originally Posted By: Phyllis-Folk/Myth
Granpappy will be mighty bored without Beetle here for a whole week. I promised ol' Granpappy we can have a hoe down when Beetle gets back. He asked me to bake some cookies and holler over the hollow to have Rosie bake up some of her famous apple pies.

Yoo-Hooooo, Rosieeeeee....

laugh Can you bake some apple pies for Granpappy and Beetle? Beetle will be gone all week and Granpappy wants to have a good welcome back shindig for Beetle when he gets back. smile
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/08/11 06:35 PM
Welcome back, Beetle. Git yerself a cuppa coffee, tea, or whatever, sit yerself down a spell, and have a wonderful day!
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/08/11 07:49 PM
A quick sip & move along to catch up on everything...

Did sit through a class presented by David Dean on gourd stitch & was in the PowWow circle with him on Thursday evening.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/08/11 07:54 PM
oops... thankie - great week of NA culture & watched a bunch of city boys decide to take up dancing & possibly do some Pow Wows. They think they could be competing within a year - < I don't think so..., but let them prove me wrong >
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/08/11 09:47 PM
You are welcome. Glad to hear you had a great week.

I have a NA Beading book by David Dean -- I love his work. The book is excellent for learning the different techniques, stitches, etc.

Sounds like the week was a success and enjoyable. One year for city boys to learn the dancing and do Pow Wows? Naawwwww!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/10/11 07:07 PM
Awwww! frown come back and play...I will be nice. smile

I would love to hear more about David Dean. I learned the gourd stitch by following his instructions in 'Beading in the Native American Tradition'. Excellent book.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/11/11 04:19 AM
My Father used to sing this song when he danced with my Mother:

I'll Never Leave Thee

Why should thy cheek be pale,
Shaded with sorrow's veil?
Why should'st thou grieve me?
I will never, never leave thee.
'Mid my deepest sadness,
'Mid my gayest gladness,
I am thine, believe me;
I will never, never leave thee.

Life's storms may rudely blow,
Laying hope and pleasure low:
I'd ne'er deceive thee;
I could never, never leave thee.
Ne'er till my cheek grow pale,
And my heart pulses fail,
And my last breath grieve thee.
Can I ever, ever leave thee!
- George Farquhar Graham, The Songs of Scotland
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/11/11 06:23 PM
The Mountains of Mourne

Oh Mary this London's a wonderful sight
With people here workin' by day and by night
They don't sow potatoes, nor barley, nor wheat
But there's gangs of them diggin' for gold in the street
At least when I asked them that's what I was told
So I just took a hand at this diggin' for gold
But for all that I found there I might as well be
Where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea.

I believe that when writin' a wish you expressed
As to how the fine ladies in London were dressed
Well if you'll believe me, when asked to a ball
They don't wear no top to their dresses at all
Oh I've seen them meself and you could not in truth
Say that if they were bound for a ball or a bath
Don't be startin' them fashions, now Mary McCree
Where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea.

There's beautiful girls here, oh never you mind
With beautiful shapes nature never designed
And lovely complexions all roses and cream
But let me remark with regard to the same
That if that those roses you venture to sip
The colors might all come away on your lip
So I'll wait for the wild rose that's waitin' for me
In the place where the dark Mourne sweeps down to the sea.

- Percy French, 19th Century - Ireland
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/12/11 05:33 PM
I will be gone the rest of the day.

Have a great weekend folks!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/16/11 04:02 PM
''If Heaven a draught of heavenly pleasure spare,
One cordial in this melancholy vale,
'T is when a youthful, loving, modest pair
In other's arms breathe out the tender tale,''
- Robert Burns, 1759 - 1796
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/16/11 04:11 PM
''Had we never lov'd sae kindly,
Had we never lov'd sae blindly,
Never met�or never parted,
We had ne'er been broken hearted.''
- Robert Burns (1759-1796)
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/17/11 06:43 PM
Wiley Coyote is cookin' up a new plan to catch the Roadrunner.
Who wants to make up a game about that?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/17/11 06:56 PM
Cookin'? Yardbird? Game?

Sounds like fun
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/26/11 04:41 AM
Very old Celtic Song

Come By The Hills

Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free. And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the loughs meet the sea,
Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun; And the cares of tomorrow can wait till this day is done.

Come by the hills to the land where life is a song. And stand where the birds fill the air with their joy all day long, Where the trees sway in time and even the wind sings in tune; And, the cares of tomorrow can wait till this day is done.

Come by the hills to the land where legend remains. The stories of old, fill the heart and may yet come again, Where the past has been lost and the future is still to be won; And, the cares of tomorrow can wait till this day is done.

And, the cares of tomorrow can wait till this day is done.

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/06/11 05:56 PM
Lots of holidays are not far ahead of us. I am working on several crafts for gift giving. Most of my projects involve beading. I have several dolls to make, a quilt to finish, a new Buffalo quilt to start....so many things to do.

What are your winter plans?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/06/11 06:46 PM
Living and Loving in the Wind

I walk this life without him physically by my side
Yet in spirit we are always as one.

We have on many journeys touched the deepest
Part of the heart and spiritually grown.

He is my eternal love, my teacher, my friend, my king
He leaves my soul wanting for nothing.

From the deepest canyon floors to the highest peak
He offers his hand for courage and hope.
Of this deep eternal love we do not speak
For the separate lives we live do not meld.

Yet I have the joyous memories of being held
So close to him I felt his heart beat.

No music did I hear till I found him once more
Somewhere on my journey worth every mile.

He gave me courage to fly like Eagle soars
To let Spirit guide me and follow my heart.

Even without him physically here by my side
I feel not alone for we will never spiritually part .

Through many journeys we have built
a strong and profound spiritual relationship
That can never be broken.

We have chosen in this life
separate paths to learn
what we must.

Is he yet aware of this spiritual oneness,
from deepest canyon floors
To the highest peak?

I do not know that life's answer
For of this eternal love we do not speak.
� Content Copyright Phyllis Doyle Burns 2011. All Rights Reserved.
Phyllis Doyle, BlogSpot.com
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/13/11 07:59 PM
Looks like we are going to have a doozy of a thunderstorm this afternoon. The thunderheads are building up fast.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/13/11 11:11 PM
OMG! I walked by at just the right time. May I sit and smell the rain?

What's Grandpappy up to? How have you been?
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/13/11 11:13 PM
Wow, Phyllis! Your poem is so evocative that it brought me to tears. Thank you.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/14/11 12:25 AM
Thank you, Connie. Poetry has become a major part of my life lately. I wrote a whole journal of poems years ago then set it aside. I am now getting back into it and love it.

One of my favorite new poets is Vincent Moore. You can look him up on Amazon. His poems are very emotional and makes one ponder about life.
Posted By: Vi - Blogs/Small Office Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/14/11 01:06 AM
I enjoyed the poem very much. What is this thread that one can get lost in? Love it. smile
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/14/11 02:29 AM
Hi Vi - welcome to the Front Porch. Thanks for the kind compliment on my poetry.

This is a place to chat, rest from stress, share some folklore, pretend we are at a cabin in the hills where Granpappy and I live and have shindigs, foot-stompin' music, potlucks, and just lots of fun.

I will be down in the paw-paw patch. Just grab a mug of java or Granpappy's cider, sit yourself down and relax a spell.

Come on by anytime you have a hankerin' to be with the folks here and from across the hollow. Don't mind the hounds - they won't bother ya none. And if Granpappy is snoozin' in his rocker, just let him be. He may wake up and tell ya a story or two afore long.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/14/11 05:11 AM
Phyllis, we can just meet on the porch from time to time. Anytime you post poetry, I'll be there.

Keep well, my friend,
Connie
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/14/11 05:37 PM
That will be lovely, Connie. I like to chat on the Front Porch.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/19/11 04:56 PM
It is time to gather the apples and make some good ol' fashioned cider -- and pies! Granpappy makes the best cider in the hills. Rosie makes the best apple pies.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/20/11 06:47 PM
I will be away from the forum for the rest of the day. I have to focus on writing articles today.

Have a great day everyone.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/21/11 04:11 PM
I was sitting on my patio early this morning, eating my cheerios. I heard a lot of chattering and took down my privacy cover so I could peek out. There were four squirrels on the lawn, standing up and calling for their own cheerios.

So, I got out their container and tossed out cheerios for my little friends. They love the honeynut flavor best. You should see how much they stuff in their little cheeks before they run away to eat or bury their hoard.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/22/11 03:52 PM
I have to go for my morning walk -- I am late on that today.
Will be back in a little while. smile

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/26/11 02:47 PM
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

We will not live forever. If you love someone dearly, let them know.
Posted By: Isabel - Mexican Food Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/26/11 02:56 PM
What a wonderful quotation, Phyllis. In the whirlwind of 21st life, it is so easy to forget what is important as we are always running around taking care of what is urgent. I must go and give my husband a hug!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/26/11 03:03 PM
Isabel, how lovely - your husband is a lucky guy. Hugs are so important.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/26/11 03:57 PM
I love my cottage home! It reflects all my passions in life - beading, Native American crafts, doll making, embroidery, reading, writing, folklore, mythology, and quilting.

It is really a small one bedroom apartment, but I prefer to call it a cottage -- for every corner, nook, and cranny is made useful or expresses my crafts.

My patio faces the little mountain where an abundance of desert sage and wild grasses grow, little critters scurry here and there, and a wide expanse of sky where the Hawks soar above all.

This is a very peaceful and spiritual place for me.

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/27/11 04:23 PM
Good mornin', good mornin'!
Sunbeams will soon smile through,
Good mornin', good mornin', to you.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/28/11 03:21 AM
Just a sittin' here alone on the Front Porch -- a wonderin' what is going on out there.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/28/11 03:38 AM
One of my favorite poets is Elizabeth Barret Browning. One of my favorite poems is written by her:

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, --- I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-1861)
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/28/11 04:52 PM
The ancient Hohokam tribes once occupied land that eventually became Phoenix, Arizona. It is believed that one Hohokam man carved a petroglyph that is the first known North American representation of the supernova.

Has anyone ever seen this petroglyph? It is in White Tank Mountain Regional Park west of Phoenix. I cannot find a picture of it.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/28/11 04:59 PM
Phyllis,

Google "White Tank Mountain Supernova" & select images. There ye be!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/28/11 05:05 PM
Thank you, Beetle!
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/28/11 05:11 PM
Not a prblem.

The most interesting site is: White Tank Supernova
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/28/11 05:24 PM
Wow! Barentine did some fantastic testing to determine accuracy and authenticity on the Supernova and the petroglyph similarities. Apparently the similarities are remarkable.

I am going to study all the info I can find on this. Very interesting.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/29/11 11:12 AM
Four AM

The warrior shone bright
Southeast he stood
While seven sisters
Danced in the wood
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/07/11 05:54 PM
Friends are quiet angels
Who lift us to our feet
When our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly
They stand by us and give us
the strength to try

Friends are quiet angels
Who somehow make you see
The light that's in the darkness
before the dawn
All at once the journey�s not so long
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/11/11 05:39 PM
After supper last night I went out on my patio to watch the sky. The moon was full and bright, playing peek-a-boo from fluffy white clouds floating by, and a little friend was sitting on the curtain top of my railing. A little tree frog. She is only about an inch long.

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/12/11 04:32 PM
I took my bead work out on the porch this morning to sit in the sun and work on my pipe bag. I have the beads in a bowl. With the sun shining on them, it makes me think of pieces of the sky and rainbows - gifts for the eyes to behold.

I am debating on what type of edging to put on the bag when I close it. I need some type of border beading on the right side to close it up.

I am thinking of a "zipper stitch" but have never tried that.

Beading is so relaxing for me.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/14/11 05:56 PM
I had another little visitor on my patio last night.

He was still there this morning. I managed to catch him and put him in my planter on the railing. He eventually found his way out and down to the ground to wander away.

Oscar, I hope you find your haven
And may Great Spirit
Keep you from the raven.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/18/11 02:44 PM
Granpappy sat his Jack-O'-Lantern out on the porch last night. He was so proud of that pumpkin he carved!

The bear et it.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/18/11 04:23 PM
Now Granpappy is gonna rip and tear a new one! Ol' Molly cross the holler told me to just "jest take one day at a time - he will calm down and stabilize when he comes back from up the hill."

Molly otta know what she's talkin' bout -- she has been around a long time. Why - she has been around since heck was a pup.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/19/11 02:43 PM
Beautiful sunrise this morning -- so glad I did not go sailing.

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/20/11 06:18 PM
It is a gorgeous day! Clear sky, bright sunshine, Autumn in the air...I am going for a walk with my good thoughts and renewed energy.

Have a lovely day, everyone.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/21/11 01:00 PM
Goooood Morning, Everybody. smile
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/27/11 07:46 PM
We get so few trick-or-treaters (TOTS) that I know all the ones who come to the door. Last year I got only six.

My brother, who lives six blocks away gets about 80. That number is down from over 150 just two years ago.

Is trick-or-treating a fading tradition? How many TOTS do you get each year?
Posted By: Sherryl - Philosophy Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/27/11 08:10 PM
We're not sure how many little one's we will get this year. This is our first year in our new home. But we're looking forward to it. Wow, 150 is awesome. Sounds like our neighborhood in Florida many years ago. The kid had thirty gallon trash bags full of candy. Amazing.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/27/11 08:26 PM
It really is a shame that people spend so much money on candy for the kids at Halloween when parents have to throw away most of it.
Posted By: Vi - Blogs/Small Office Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/27/11 08:56 PM
Our church collects extra candy from our kids for an unsafe community in the area where kids can't go trick or treating. A church in that neighborhood disperses the candy to the kids.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/27/11 09:01 PM
That is a good idea, Violette. Many churches have been doing that for the last several years. It is much safer for the kids.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/28/11 04:18 PM
Oh, where have you been,
Billy Boy, Billy Boy?
Oh, where have you been,
Charming Billy?
Posted By: Linda19 Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/28/11 04:30 PM
This old porch is a steamin' greasy plate of enchiladas,
With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad,
You can get them at the LaSalle Hotel in old down town,
With ice tea and a waitress who will smile every time,
Oh yeah, I left a quarter tip on my ten dollar bill.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/28/11 04:33 PM
Got the following with a solictiation to sponsor a friend doing a 'Breast Cancer Walk' - The comment alone made me sign up right away...

Women are like angels, and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly... on a broomstick - we are flexible like that...

So seasonally appropriate...
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/28/11 05:06 PM
Love your 'greasy plate of enchiladas', Linda.

Beetle....I don't know about you sometimes....are you in one of those moods....well, you keep my mind active, anyway. smile Are you saying someone has broken wings.... frown come to think of it...my left wing is sure achy today.... I can't seem to fly. grin

Isn't that just like a man...to say something like that then take off and leave us wondering...?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/28/11 05:10 PM
But today's woman doesn't need a broom - they have jet propulsion in the form of Eureka, Hoover & Dyson...
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/28/11 05:12 PM
<< Yes, I'm in one of my moods. Have to depart early today to head out for a camping weekend. Local forecast calling for possible wet flakes on Saturday in the higher elevations. >>
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/28/11 05:14 PM
Hmmmm....pretty quick comeback there.

Some men sure can put a quick stop to any ponderings a woman has about being called a witch, or an Angel with broken wings...

You ... light up my life... just like Edison did.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/28/11 05:16 PM
Wear your capote (?), dearie. Be safe and stay away from witches.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/28/11 05:33 PM
Really...be safe and have a great weekend, Beetle. smile
Posted By: anna*AHHA* Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/28/11 05:38 PM
Yes be safe - VAYA CON DIOS -- and don't feel bad about the snow... we had some here in PA last night and more predicted for tomorrow.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/28/11 05:41 PM
My gosh!!! It just seems much too early for snow...anywhere. I am going to worry all weekend about our friend Beetle now.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/28/11 05:47 PM
Naw - I'm ganna use my new capote...
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/28/11 05:56 PM
Good! (( smile )) = Happy Hugs!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/31/11 06:27 PM
Yes! I get to go out for a ride today...I am so happy! It is a gorgeous sunny day with clear skies and I have been stuck in the house for over a week with a bad sinus infection and chest cold. I am still on antibiotics and am doing much better.

Sunshine...here I come. Have a lovely day everyone.

Beetle, I am glad to know you are home (work) safely. That storm that hit the northeast sure caused some problems. Have a great day and be safe.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/31/11 07:19 PM
Still thawing & drying out, but the weekend was rewarding. Last time snow hit DC this early in October was when I was a young 2nd Lieutenant at Quantico. I remember that day.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/31/11 09:46 PM
I am sure the trip was very rewarding for you and the youth of OA. The OA is a wonderful organization for young people. It sets them on a good path in life. The dedication you and other leaders have towards helping the young people on their way is remarkable and admirable.

Thank you for this service and for your military service -- both of which is a dedication and loyalty to our country. Semper Fi.

MCB Quantico - largest, or one of the largest, US Marine Bases in the world I have heard. Was the snowfall very heavy that year? Were you flying then? I can still picture you out here in the desert flying over Grimes Point from FAFB.

Isn't that where the Marine Memorial is located? (Quantico) Ira Hayes, Immortalized In Time.

Did I ever tell you that my mother trained and got her pilot's license when she was 68? She was so thrilled that she passed with flying (pun intended) colors! That was a private small plane pilot's license. She sure misses flying.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/01/11 05:40 PM
Lots of questions...

Snow on the ground back in '79 was maybe - m-a-y-b-e - 4-6 inches, but the problem was road transportation to the site was over ice. Then the conditions of wet snow sticking to trees that had not yet shed their leaves was causing a lot of breaking limbs & prooting. Not the safest to be dashing around the woods with your eye on a compass to navigate; need to keep eyes up & ahead for the hazards.

Nope, not flying. Hadn't been to flight school yet. This was a indoctiantion/school for the new Marine Officer - the first 6 months before heading off to the occupational training.

The Marine Memorial (Iwo Jima) is at Arlington, across the Potomac River from the Lincoln Monument; near the National Cemetary and Arlington House/Custis-Lee Mansion <there's a good research story - It's the mansion of Robert E. Lee & the estate was turned into the cemetary>

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/01/11 07:34 PM
"The Marine Memorial (Iwo Jima) is at Arlington, across the Potomac River from the Lincoln Monument; near the National Cemetary and Arlington House/Custis-Lee Mansion <there's a good research story - It's the mansion of Robert E. Lee & the estate was turned into the cemetary>"

Thanks, Beetle. This will be a good research and article. I love researching history.

I bet you made a handsome officer. I saw your picture in the OA group on FB and you look quite well-groomed and good in uniform. That is a nice pic of the troop.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/02/11 04:08 PM
More questions for Beetle...

When are you going on your Bavarian Cruise? I bet you are really looking forward to that. I can so imagine how beautiful it will be over there. How fun!
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/02/11 05:02 PM
Not cruising in a boat/ship sense, unless slip-sliding on the icy paths would be construed as cruising <ya know waddi mean?>

Depart the afternoon of the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and arrive in Munich for a train connection to Innsbruck, Austria. Maybe find a turkey dinner there?

Couple days/nights here & there will have us in Austria, then Germany with the following routing: Innsbruck, Salzburg, Nuremberg, Garmish, Munich.

<still finalizing the site visits, but the cities are now confirmed along with reserved EuroRail train seating.>

Planning to see along the way:
Innsbruck - Swarovski Crystal World; train/cable to top of Hafelekar (7,400' high - nothing like CO Rockies); Schlo� Ambras (castle);
Salzberg - Mozart stuff;
Nuremberg - Christkindlesmarkt <Christ Child Market> (a Christmas market for lebkuchen <gingerbread>, bluvine <hot cider wine> and other gift items); Trial site; castles
Garmish - Neuschwanstein Castle; top of Zugspitze (highest mt in Germany at 9,718');
Munich - touristy stuff with a stop at the Hofbrauhaus; the Rathaus-Glockenspiel

I'm not looking forward, I'm pretty excited!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/02/11 05:25 PM
"I'm not looking forward, I'm pretty excited!"

I can tell...you have a very exciting itinerary there! I bet Mrs. B. will be taking pictures like crazy.

The Christkindlesmarkt sounds so lovely.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/02/11 06:06 PM
Pictures Galore stashed throughout the Internet.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/02/11 06:56 PM
Will you share some with us? Are you going to wear lederhosen?
Posted By: Francine - German Culture Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/02/11 07:09 PM

My goodness Phyllis..........Lederhosen, even the 3/4 ones, in Austria and Bavaria at the end of November shocked Wow. What a thought, now that would either need years of conditioning from living there, an amazing ability to survive the cold without spending most of the holiday lying in bed with a fever, or woolly 'long johns'.

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/02/11 07:18 PM
laugh That's ok, Francine - Beetle is tough, an outdoors man and is used to drastic weather changes. I just wanted to see some authentic, traditional lederhosen. I am sure they are quiet nice looking...

Wooley long johns...right now that sounds good. It is so cold outside today, even with the sun shining brightly. We have cold winds blowing down off the snowy Sierra mountains. And it is not even winter yet. I have been out walking and my feet are nearly froze!
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/02/11 08:59 PM
I don't think those 'Manly Daisy Dukes Overalls' will find their way onto my torso when scaling a couple snow cover mountains. I really don't have the insulation to prevent the legs from getting frostbite.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/03/11 02:28 AM
Now that is a very practical and logical thought, Beetle. It will be wise to keep those leggies warm.

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/03/11 06:59 PM
Granpappy's hound has been stalking a fox that is after the chickens. That ol' hound is pretty clever and takes advantage of himself knowing his way around.

Granpappy loves to watch these kind of games, makes life interesting for him -- expecially since the harvest is in and it will be a long cold winter. Whatever paints his wagon, I say, as long as he is happy.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/04/11 08:02 PM
This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine.
This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine.

Let it shine, shine, shine,
Let it shine!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/04/11 10:47 PM
Hey all,
Our weather in Kansas is kind of cold in the winter--like freeze your buns off cold. Our youngest son would have done well with lederhosen. When he was in high school, I had to make a rule. He could not wear shorts between Thanksgiving and Spring Break (end of March) and I had to hide the shorts.

He's mid-twenties now, and he came home a couple of weeks ago to get his coat. It was a shock to me, since he didn't like to wear one before New Year's Day when he was younger!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/04/11 11:26 PM
Hoooo weeee! It is freezing out here today in Washoe County. The wind is strong and icy cold! I cannot even think about wearing shorts now. We had snow early this morning and late yesterday. It was too wet to stick, but it sure was cold!

Granpappy put his woollies on.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/07/11 08:56 PM
Memories of friendship, once so dear, will always remain dear, even when distance enters.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/07/11 09:00 PM
To love and be loved is the greatest thing on Earth.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/12/11 08:26 PM
I am having so much fun in a poetry contest. So far I have submitted 11 poems and will write my 12th one today. I have never joined a poetry contest before and I really hesitated. I am so glad in went ahead with it. The last day for submission will be 11/22 and winners will be announced on 12/2.

I never really considered myself a poet until I joined this contest. I am getting great reviews and some awesome comments from fellow writers.

Poetry has always been one of my favorite ways to relax and read. I take inspiration from the greats: Edgar Allan Poe, William B. Yeats, Oscar Wilde, Emily Dickensen, Robert Burns, so many...
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/15/11 12:09 PM
Good morning, everybody! Have a lovely day. smile fish laugh

That fish irritates the heck out of me - don't you just want to smack it?
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/15/11 12:32 PM
No, actually I love its intense blueness. Is it a bluegill? LOL
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/15/11 12:44 PM
I do not know. It sure is blue, very intense blue. cool

It is still irritating though. I thought fishbowl fish just floated in the bowl and only moved around when eating or agitated. confused
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/16/11 06:05 PM
I am so excited about Thanksgiving Day. My sister is having a family gathering. So far there are 34 attending and that is just family.

Every year it seems there is one or two more babes that have come into our family. Blessed Be.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/16/11 08:24 PM
Howdy! Sorry to keep you away for so long.
Posted By: anna*AHHA* Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/16/11 08:30 PM
Phyllis, please don't smack the blue fishy!

Please be sure to let us know about the poetry contest.

Wow! 34 people is a lot to seat at one gathering. I had 21 for Easter and it took a while to recover. Thanksgiving will be 11 -- 13 and we're going to fry a turkey.

Thanksgiving is the perfect time to ruminate about all the blessings in life. There are many and I'm grateful.

Peace.

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/17/11 04:32 AM
Oh, no, Anna, I will not smack the fishy, it is rather cute, really. It is just something else, a symbolism (not Christianity, but a personal thing someone once told me), that I was referring to and now it does not matter.

The poetry contest is going well. I am getting great reviews/comments from fellow writers. I am really growing fast as a poet and love it.

Yes - 34 people is going to be a lot! My sister has it all figured out on how to seat us all. She has enclosed her huge covered patio with a special plastic sheeting. It is keeping the from the afternoon sun in. It is going to be so nice to be together with most the family. There are still some who cannot make it, but, will be with us in spirit.

Thanksgiving is the perfect time to reminisce and be reminded of how grateful we should be for all that we have been blessed with. I have been blessed with many dear friends here at BellaOnline and that is one thing I am giving thanks for.

Peace and Harmony. Blessed Be.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/17/11 05:24 AM
Beetle, Times a'gettin' close. If I do not get a chance to tell you before you leave for Germany: Have a wonderful time, Happy Thanksgiving, bring us back some pics, and please do not forget that yummy pizza thing Francine told us about! Stay out of the muddle puddles over there, they will likely be frozen.
B safe B.

Wakan Tanan Kici Un.

Your friend for sure and always. Hugs!
Phyllis

PS: I know you will find this - hide and seek, right? smile Love you!
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/17/11 09:20 PM
I have not really been hiding... Been busy with income producing efforts lately - not to mention the research/planning/follow-up for the trip next week.

I wish you & yours the best of the Thanksgiving spirit. Hope things smmooth out after it's over - YEAH RIGHT! Big program review the week after my return to prepare for. Will be back in offic eon Pearl Harbor Day.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/26/12 05:46 PM
My first patio flower of Spring...

Viola! smile
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/06/12 02:01 PM
Mmmmmm... Cream of wheat with blackberry jam swirled in it starts my day right. smile
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/06/12 02:12 PM
Now you just need to top it off with a Peep! mmmmm
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/06/12 06:40 PM
What color goes best with blackberry? Wabbit or Chicky?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/09/12 05:57 AM
All righty then.... those who found the most Easter eggs gets a virtual hug.

I found absolutely none!!! Not even a PEEP!!!
Posted By: loong Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/14/12 05:16 PM
Dear Phyllis,
I hope this is the place where I can sit and just relax ?I am rarely affected by what people say,write about me. This time , yes. Would just eat a bagle with cinnamon on it.Bask in the sun ,because I am sure that on that porch the sun always shine.

Thank you
loong
Normand Joly
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/14/12 10:52 PM
Greetings Loong, my friend.

Yes, this is the place to just sit and relax, to just be and let be, with a bagle, or donut, or cinnamon roll, or oatmeal cookies and tea or coffee.

And yes -- there is always sunshine here. Thank you for coming by, I will just let you relax and drift off in the warm sunshine.

You are most welcome.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/16/12 06:07 AM
Tuuuweeeet! There is a 'Jam Session' gathering on the Front Porch over in the Appalachia forum. All are welcome. Bring your banjo, fiddle, guitar, or whatever you can make music with, and join us. smile
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/16/12 01:08 PM
Gooood Monday Morning, all you wonderful folks out there. Hope this is the start of a beautiful week for you. smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/17/12 07:01 AM
There's a back porch???
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/17/12 06:22 PM
Shhhh.... Don't tell Jilly. We've been hiding back here...
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/18/12 06:46 AM
Well...I was wondering where you had gotten yourself off to, Beetle. I see you are hiding back here, eating up the chocolate donuts and other chocolate stuff...now it is only fair to let Jilly in on the secret.

Since the front porch is now in the Appalachia forum, I changed the name of this porch to the "back porch".

Actually the back porch was there all along -- that is where we hide chocolate goodies. However, it is not easy to hide anything from Beetle. frown
Posted By: Jilly Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/18/12 07:06 AM
Beetle, you're missing the chocolate cake on the front porch! Better hurry. smile
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/18/12 04:03 PM
I thought the surprise B-day party was in back... That's why Jilly didn't find it right away.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/19/12 01:27 AM
Lol. I love it.

Next we hide, maybe we can try the cellar!
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/19/12 02:42 PM
Good Idea! But aren't there many afraid of dark, damp places?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/20/12 12:48 AM
Uhmmmm....the cellar is where Granpappy hides all his white lightning.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/20/12 04:53 PM
I love sitting in the cellar with the aroma of ripe apples, onions, and other goodies stored there, plus that good earthy smell.

I wonder where Granpappy hid all his stuff....
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/20/12 04:54 PM
There is only one person I know of who could find it.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/20/12 05:09 PM
Ya mean that isn't rocket fuel? I wondered what Granpappy had corked in all them jugs, but it sure did some great launch sequences for those model rockets we built.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/20/12 05:11 PM
I suppose it could be used for rocket fuel -- remember the time his shed up in the woods blew up?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/20/12 06:41 PM
One way to get high or lit up!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/20/12 06:47 PM
aahahahahaha!

Yup...it did work quite well in those model rockets...poor ol' Wiley.

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/21/12 12:03 AM
Or .... was that on the train we built those rockets? So many journeys....
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/24/12 07:25 PM
Greetings to all wonderful friends out there. How is your day going so far?

Sunshine and roses are filling my day with love and joy. smile
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/26/12 07:01 PM
Sitting back here on my porch with the sounds of birds singing their joy and finding peace in the love I have for him -- knowing that no one can ever take his place.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/26/12 07:45 PM
Who wants some warm apple pie with vanilla ice cream on top? With a cup of good strong coffee?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/03/12 04:12 AM
Sittin' on the back porch today
I'll be sittin' when the evening comes
Watchin' the rain wash away
The dust and bad air that looms

Watchin' ol' rooster run in vain
He got locked out of the coop
Then I watch him run around again
Wet feathers so tangled they droop

Oh..oh..yeah, sittin' on the back porch today...
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/08/12 06:52 PM
Greetings everybody. Hope you are having a wonderful day. smile
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/08/12 07:22 PM
Hi Phyllis.....figured I'd come onto the back porch for a change. I see we are still talking about that foolish ole rooster who is too busy pokin around in everybody else's business instead of watchin out for himself and taking cover in a storm. Maybe the hens are happy to get a break from him....

Cloudy today. We've got rain coming in.

I see I missed out on the apple pie. Next time you've got pie on the porch I will be right over. Nothing like a nice piece of warm pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream melting on top of it.....
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/09/12 01:32 AM
I think rooster will get inside in time tonight, before the rains hit.

I made the best navy bean and ham soup yesterday. I took it over to my brother's for supper and we ate the whole pot of beans. It was so good. Then we went outside and I watched as he planted a beautiful rose bush for Mother. I helped him clean up the extra dirt and sod he dug up. It looks so pretty. The rose is a lovely pink with a touch of pale lavender and is very fragrant. smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/09/12 04:31 AM
I think that is a lovely thing to do for your mother. It sounds like a beautiful bush. May it bring you both many years of joy. <3
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/09/12 07:25 PM
Thank you, Jilly. We know Mother would love it. She used to sit out by the front porch and watch my brother work in the yard and that was so enjoyable for the two of them. So, I now sit out there and get up to help Brother once in awhile. It makes him feel less lonely for Mother.

The bush is loaded with blooms and looks so pretty. I should take a picture to put here. smile
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/09/12 07:42 PM
Phyllis....the rose bush sounds lovely. What a beautiful way to honor your Mother. I think looking at the beauty of the bush, and enjoying the fragrant blooms will bring you much comfort. It will be a living reminder of your dear Mother.

I love all roses, especially fragrant ones. I hope to have roses again in my yard some day.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/10/12 03:29 AM
Yes, please, rose photos! Does it smell nice?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/11/12 12:33 AM
It smells wonderful, Jilly. The fragrance drifts all over the yard and the blooms are so big and pretty.

Debbie, thank you for those kind words.

I will get photos and post them as soon as I can.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/17/12 07:41 PM
Good day, Beetle. Hope all is well with you. I got a pot of hot java brewing and some sandwiches piled high on a platter. Come join me and relax a little. smile

Since this is an imaginary porch, you can have any kind of sandwich you heart desires. smile

Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/17/12 07:52 PM
PB & J - simple & my all time fav...

You have e-mail of an article I read that I knew you'd enjoy...
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/17/12 07:58 PM
Love PB&J with a ice cold glass of milk.

Thanks for the email article. I will check it out.

Chocolate chip cookies are in the big cookie jar.... smile
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/17/12 08:06 PM
You are an angel....thank you so much, Beetle. smile
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/13/12 04:39 PM
Does anyone have a cider press? I thought it would be fun to gather and make apple cider this fall. Memories of all the families in the hollow getting together in September to make cider are still strong on my mind.

This is what it was like back in the days when I was a kid:

Apple Cider Time

I can still smell all those apples and taste that cool cider. smile
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/15/12 04:39 PM
I don't have a press but I love apple cider.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/17/12 10:02 AM
I remember when Gemineye found Burt hiding out here on the back porch. Maybe this is where Burt keeps himself at times? This is where I keep all the baked goods and preserves, jams, jellies, and such. No wonder Gemineye and Burt sat out here.
Posted By: Burt B. Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/17/12 01:52 PM
Even though I do my fair share and don't push the body as hard as I used to 'cause I got bumped up to admin -- I still eat like a dang horse... 'grrr !!!
Bless my step-kids and grandbabies who are over now for my step-sons b-day...Good thing Crystal brought along her childhood friend Heather..
Even the men say "damn Burt !! you can eat" !!!
Ahh... I can take a break from the grill 'cause Bubby Ray is a whole lot younger !!
Yep, and his friend Ryan told me that Cary, NC stands for Central Area of Relocated Yankees ! smile !!
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/17/12 03:24 PM
You are a real hoot, Burt! I figured it was you who ate so many of those yummy steaks on the 4th. I know why you like standing by a hot grill so much.....
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/17/12 07:52 PM
So good to hear from you, Burt. Congrats on the up to Admin.

Sounds like you and yours are having a lot of fun back there. Enjoy your gathering of family. smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/18/12 01:26 AM
I have some instructions on how to make a cider press from home depot plastic buckets. smile
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/18/12 01:39 PM
So long as it isn't the bucket used to wash clothes with a plunger... Also, hoping that a used plunger isn't needed for the cider press.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/21/12 09:51 AM
eeewwwww!!!

I think I will just go out and buy a authentic cider press.

Hey, I wonder .... if you can stomp grapes to make wine, can we just stomp some apples to make cider?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/21/12 10:16 PM
No plunger needed for the press. Jeez, guys. :p
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/21/12 10:23 PM
Ah hahahhaha.... feet okay?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/21/12 10:58 PM
I'd like to hear about how your apple stomping goes. smile

Let's have a stomping party on the front porch!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/21/12 10:59 PM
woo-hooo! Now that sounds like fun, Jilly.

We will have to get some big tubs to put the apples in. smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/21/12 11:16 PM
BYOT? wink
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/24/12 07:27 PM
Yup .... everyone bring your own tub. We have plenty of apples for all.

Boy oh boy!!! We are going to have some mighty fine apple cider.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/25/12 02:11 AM
Phyllis....I read some of the earlier posts on this thread and I was cracking up.....you were wondering about the origins of the word "hootenanny". Evidently it is an old word for party, first heard around the 1930's. Lots of folk music at these hootenannies!

Maybe we ought to have ourselves a real down-home kind of hootenanny. Whatcha think?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/25/12 08:52 AM
Excellent! Now that I am the go-to gal for making hard cider and apple cider vinegar, we are going to be using the heck outta those apples.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/25/12 11:21 PM
Hey, Debbie. I wrote an article a long time ago about hootenannies, hoedowns, jigs, all kinds of "folks down home dancin' parties".

I will see if I can find it for you.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/25/12 11:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Jilly
Excellent! Now that I am the go-to gal for making hard cider and apple cider vinegar, we are going to be using the heck outta those apples.

We got a whole lot of apples just waiting for us, Jilly. You the Gal !!!! smile
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/06/12 04:06 PM
How'd you ladies make out with the cider?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/06/12 04:14 PM
I'm kinda curious how y'all made out with Granpappy whilst I was o'er yonder. I kinda know Granpappy would rather take the 'made out' to a definition that school kids use behind the bushes...
Posted By: Jilly Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/06/12 06:55 PM
Don't forget the term shindig!

Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/06/12 07:40 PM
anything like a hoot-n-nanny???
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/06/12 09:18 PM
I'm kinda curious how y'all made out with Granpappy whilst I was o'er yonder. I kinda know Granpappy would rather take the 'made out' to a definition that school kids use behind the bushes...

Welcome back , Beetle. smile

Well.... Granpappy tried, but it don't work with Debbie and Jilly can run faster that Granpappy, plus he is my Daddy, so nothing there... as for Burt, well.... Burt is not into the bushes thing.

Other than that, it is rather difficult to keep Granpappy out of trouble when you are off doing who knows what. smile

How was it "over yonder"? Hope you had a good time.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/06/12 09:21 PM
Hootenanny, shindig, jigs contest, dance party, jam session, it all means the same to me: FUN!!!!

Y'all come on over and bring your favorite dish. IdaMae, from down the holler, is bringing a few strawberry/rhubarb pies. Mmmm-mmmm-mmm!
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/07/12 03:32 AM
Dang right, it don't work with me, Phyllis. Granpappy tried eons ago to get me behind the bushes and all he got from me was a good slap! He knows that he'd better conduct himself like a gentleman around me. I haven't had a problem with him since, and actually we get along quite well now.

I think I will use one of your great recipes for fried chicken. That is what I will bring to this lovely gathering. That, and my famous potato salad.

I think I am going to love hootenannies............
Posted By: Jilly Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/07/12 04:00 AM
I love how we are all over both porches with this party! Weeee!
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/07/12 08:09 PM
Hootenannies are way too big to contain to just one porch.....
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/08/12 02:44 PM
Can't forget the 'side-meetings' Granpappy keeps inviting the gals to. Seems the bushes holds more than his XXX jugs & he wants to re-live Independence Day & try to see fireworks.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/08/12 10:54 PM
Hahahaha .... Beetle, you just keep coming up with wild thoughts that make me laugh. Granpappy, for sure, must have raised you.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/09/12 12:53 AM
Oh goodness.....I am not going anywhere near those bushes if Granpappy is on the prowl......
Posted By: Jilly Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/09/12 01:08 AM
That's why i got this anti-pappy squirt gun. I keep it nearby for close encounters. smile
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/09/12 01:11 AM
What a fine idea, Jilly....
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/09/12 01:49 AM
I've missed the front porch. Granpappy in the bushes! Now that's a sight to behold.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/09/12 02:40 AM
Connie! So glad you are back. NOW DUCK....[water balloons].

You might want to crawl into the spring house with me and Phyllis. Avoid the mud puddles and water grenades.

Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/09/12 04:58 PM
My wild ideas are nothing compared to the wild oats that Granpappy keeps wanting to sow...

Water balloons??? Fight's On!

=====-=-=-=-=-=-=-=---------O
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/10/12 08:43 PM
Run!!!! Beetle is in his "battle fury".
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/10/12 10:13 PM
Oh goodness......surely Beetle won't come into the house with those balloons, will he? I'd better get off this porch swing and get inside and hide. There is no telling what is going to get wet around here......
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/11/12 02:32 AM
Scouts are rough as rats with those water balloons. Look out for Cub Scouts! They may be little, but they're feisty.

I'll bet Beetle can lay some water on folks with his balloon pitches!! He's had practice.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/11/12 04:54 AM
----peeking out-----

Beetle...what is that THING you are making? It looks like a trebuchet for water balloons??? Oh jeez.....

----slams spring house door-----
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/12/12 12:46 AM
I'm still hiding in the house. There is just too much warfare going on outside. Beetle, Burt, and Granpappy are taking this water balloon thing to the max......
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/12/12 08:05 AM
Now, Beetle, I know you are incomparable when it comes to battles -- but, you must remember that us ladies have not had all the training you had.

There is some training, however, that I received from an expert, and that is tomahawk throwing. Therefore, if that is a trebuchet you are building, I have more than enough tomahawks in here to handle whatever you launch. smile

Plus, be very careful where you walk, for Jilly and I have water balloon land mines and overhead traps all around this area.

Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/12/12 02:56 PM
That ought to show 'em, Phyllis.....
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/13/12 02:59 PM
Lashing together a trebuchet means I may need more rope & that tire swing has an ample amount... Nope, don't wanna tear it down, because it means putting it back when the battle is over.

Innertube slingshot for the balloons would work nicely!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/15/12 04:28 AM
Awwwwww!!!! there is a hole in the roof and a water balloon just exploded through it .... got my sandwich all wet. Let's patch up that hole, ladies.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/15/12 01:10 PM
... Granpappy, this is Beetle... Adjust fire: Up 2 degrees - one more inch of retraction on the water balloon sling - Fire for Effect!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/15/12 08:48 PM
Leapin' lizards, Gals .... these guys are getting serious. It is now open warfare. eek

viking Get your helmets on. I did not want to do this unless I had to .... but, we gotta stop the B&G Team. Jilly! Go down the trap door there and follow the tunnel up to the top of the mountain. There are hot air balloons up there with the basket loaded up with water balloons. Let them go and use the remote control up in the look-out tower so you can aim them for Beetle and Granpappy. Connie and I will hold down Spring House.

I hope Debbie is making sandwiches while she is hiding out in the cabin. There is going to be one big celebration party when we wipe out the B&G Team.

Posted By: Jilly Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/16/12 02:07 AM
I took the tunnel to the balloon and am ready in case the boys escape the hole, or if I see Burt. But maybe Burt is now cooking inside with Debbie and the war is done? Eventually we will all get hungry.

I'm enjoying the ballooning though. smile
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/16/12 02:23 AM
Gals.....I have not seen Burt since I threw him a towel a while back. I've been dealing with my horse saga (check the Goddess thread), but I was able to get back into the house tonight without incident. Now I am doing up a bunch of sandwiches for all. There will be hot and cold sandwiches to hopefully please everyone.

I am locking all the doors and windows so the watermen don't get in here unannounced. I need to keep these sandwiches in good order so that when all this is over we can dive in and eat!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/16/12 06:40 AM
Excuse me, but, uhhhmmmm, Debbie .... need we ask why you threw Burt a towel? Is there something you want to share with us? smile

Me thinks with Jilly in the hot air balloon and Beetle with the giant sling shot, that this water war has just about come to a draw.

What say you, Beetle and Jilly? Ready to call it a draw, or a face-off?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/16/12 09:22 AM
You just gotta listen to the "Alligator" sound at the bottom of the page at:

NPS Sound Gallery

When I listened to it, I could swear it was Granpappy snoring.
laugh
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/16/12 09:32 AM
Ok .... so I'm restless and bored. Almost 2:30 AM and I cannot sleep, so, I found a very entertaining site while searching for article ideas. The Spadefoot Toad sounds like a litter of hungry kittens.

OMGosh.... I think I am losing it. One more water balloon exploding on my head and Beetle wins the war. See what you have done to me, Beetle and Granpappy. Here I am in Spring House losing my mind and listening to the sounds of Nature on my computer.... now that is sad!!!!!!!

BTW, the Common Poorwill sounds like the guys sending signals to each other. Somethings going down, I can just feel it coming....

Jilly! Where is that hot air balloon?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/16/12 04:38 PM
Hey, Granpappy, it that a dark cloud that just flew over the hole we're in? Storm could be a brewing...
<< duh?!? shoulda never used a word with 'brew' in it. He's tipping the jug again. >>
Posted By: Jilly Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/16/12 08:50 PM
Let's call it a draw. I'm enjoying the ballooning but it's almost too easy to pick people off from this vantage.

Also, Debbie's sammies sound good. I'll have a chicken salad one with cranberries and walnuts on a nutty wheat.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/16/12 09:21 PM
Phyllis.......I threw Burt a towel long before I knew this was going to be a war between the guys and the girls. I was just relaxing on the swing when he showed up drenched and quite upset. I was just making reference to the fact that it has been quite some time since I have seen Burt. I wonder what he's been up to.

Hey, Burt.......do you want a sandwich??? Come out, come out, wherever you are!
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/16/12 09:34 PM
Jilly.....I have your sandwich right here for you. Help yourself to some side dishes. I've got some macaroni and potato salad, baked beans, and homemade pickles.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/17/12 04:04 AM
Way to go, Beetle -- using the word brew 'roun Granpappy.

Ladder down the pit for safe exit for Beetle, then we put a harness on Granpappy and pull him up.

I agree with Jilly, call it a draw and hit the sammies. Chicken salad with cranberries and walnuts sounds yummy right now.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/17/12 05:51 PM
Got Granpappy in a harness; seems a muzzle would be best to preserve his liver.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/17/12 10:45 PM
Mmmmmm!

[mouth full of sandwich and sides]

Ballooning makes one hungry.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/18/12 12:39 AM
Eat up, everybody. There is plenty to go around.

I just pulled an apple crisp out of the oven and you are all welcome to some while it is still warm. Got some vanilla ice cream too if you'd like a scoop on that apple crisp. Boy, it sure does smell good in here!

I see Granpappy running this way. I think he caught a whiff of the hot apples, cinnamon, and brown sugar. You can never keep him from a good homemade dessert with his sweet tooth.....
Posted By: Jilly Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/18/12 03:14 AM
More mmmmmmmmmmmm!

[apple crisp and ice cream]
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/19/12 09:51 AM

Jilly, Jilly bo-billy,
Banana-fana fo-filly
Mee-Mi-mo-milly
Jilly!

The rules of the original Name Game song are:

A verse can be created for any name, with X as the name and Y as the name without the first consonant sound (if it begins with a consonant), as follows:

(X), (X), bo-b (Y)
Banana-fana fo-f (Y)
Mee-Mi-mo-m (Y)
(X)!

If the name starts with a vowel or vowel sound, the "b" "f" or "m" is inserted in front of the name. And if the name starts with a b, f, or m, that sound simply is not repeated. (For example: Billy becomes "Billy Billy bo-illy"; Fred becomes "banana fana fo-red"; Marsha becomes "mee mi mo-arsha".)

So, how would we do Beetle, or Burt?
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/21/12 02:39 PM
I'm still laughing at Beetle wanting to put a muzzle on Granpappy to preserve his liver......
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/22/12 08:04 PM
Good thinking there, Beetle. A muzzle might really help Granpappy -- as long as he does not begin to think he is Hannibal Lector. I think I would rather see Granpappy lifting a jug rather than a roast of doubtful origins.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/25/12 12:38 AM
I agree with you, Phyllis. There is no telling what Granpappy would think of it all. Best not to take chances.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/25/12 12:51 AM
Speaking of chances .... I wonder if there is still a chance of a thunder storm tonight? The clouds have been piling up high every day for over a week, looking like we are going to get a grand storm, then they all float away, leaving us high and dry.

Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/25/12 03:39 PM
A lot of the country is in a drought. We could use some rain.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/27/12 09:24 PM
No thunder storms or rain yet -- just lots of sunshine, but a nice cool breeze usually begins in late afternoon and through the evenings. Nice for sitting outside after supper with a cuppa Irish coffee. smile
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/28/12 03:56 AM
We only got a couple of passing showers today. The last few nights have been great, cooling off enough to shut off the a/c and open the windows for a nice sleep experience with the fresh air.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/28/12 01:24 PM
Granpappy's ticked off worse than a hound that can't climb up after the coon...

He figured that the showers would be a good time to get his weekly cleaning in. He was naked as a jay bird with a soap-on-a-rope & lathering up during the first shower passing. The second shower was not enough to rinse him off.

<< remind self to discuss with Granpappy about using biodegradable/environemtnally-friendly soap for these ventures in the out of doors. I originally thought he had one of those retro 'Fuzzy Wuzzy Soaps' (remember those?) but it was a separate science project in need of a trim.... YUCK! >>
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/28/12 02:48 PM
The man is just going to have to get himself into the creek to rinse off. Might be a little cold for him though......

I don't even want to know what that science project is all about. Leave it to Granpappy with all his "great" ideas.....
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 08/29/12 05:09 PM
Once you get Granpappy all shined up, I'll fix us all some lunch. Then we can tackle the shed to see if there are any more 'fuzzy wuzzy' soaps and other junk to get rid of in the yard sale.

Anyone else got stuff they want to sell in the yard sale?
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/01/12 12:09 AM
Lunch sounds good, Phyllis. What are the fixins for today?

I might be able to come up with a few things for the yard sale. I know I have some dishes in storage, and some odds and ends. I will bring them along. Any monies raised by selling my stuff I'd like to donate to putting on the next hootenanny.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/02/12 11:57 PM
Great, Debbie. I have a few large boxes of old clothing patterns from the early 1960's forward. I think those would sell good as "vintage patterns".

I am cookin' up a beef stew to have out on the front porch. Grab a big soup mug and come on out. Hot bread is just coming out of the oven and there is a big bowl of homemade butter on the table. Granpappy is already chowin' down. smile
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/03/12 01:04 AM
Granpappy's never too far away from some good ole home cooking. It smells wonderful around here, and I am going to head out to the porch to enjoy this great stew and some nice hot bread. Thanks, Phyllis!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/03/12 04:07 AM
You are welcome, Debbie.

Anyone up for a picnic? Autumn is approaching and picnic time may end soon.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/04/12 01:22 PM
I'd love a picnic, Phyllis. What shall we pack in the basket to take along?

I hope our friends will join us.......Jilly, Beetle, Granpappy, Burt....all are welcome. Maybe we can even get Dave to make an appearance.

Common everybody! Who else is coming with us?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/05/12 01:44 AM
I made a huge potato salad and fried up a ton of chicken. We need chips, sodas, pies, ..... whatever suits your fancy.

No, Granpappy .... no XXX, sorry.

Maybe play a game of croquet? I love to play croquet. Or dancin' and singin' .... Dave loves that.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/05/12 02:08 AM
Sounds great, Phyllis. I will bring some fruit pies and cold drinks.....soda and iced tea.

Croquet will be good, and maybe we can leave the singin' and dancin' for the evenin'. We can string up the porches with little white lights so that it will be like dancin' among the stars. It will be a very nice ending to our day.

I saw Burt earlier today and I think he may be around to join us for some good food and fun.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/05/12 02:11 AM
Burt is always up for good old-fashion fun and food. Beetle was around a few minutes ago. Bring some hot dogs or kielbasa to bbq crispy, Beetle. smile
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/05/12 02:22 AM
This all sounds so good I am getting hungry.....
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/05/12 02:29 AM
How's about some Brauts....? That with Sauerkraut would make my day.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/05/12 02:37 AM
Very good, Beetle. I'm IN!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/05/12 02:42 AM
Awesome! Beetle. I love Brauts and Kraut. Great idea. smile
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/09/12 02:26 AM
Gotta track down Burt and get the grill fired up. Nobody does grillin' like Burt....
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/09/12 12:53 PM
I made some bread and butter pickles. They are so good on sandwiches, or hamburgers.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/09/12 12:59 PM
I made some bread and butter pickles. They are so good on sandwiches, or hamburgers.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/10/12 09:44 PM
I love bread and butter pickles, as well as the dills. Gotta have pickles when you are grillin'.........
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/12/12 12:17 AM
Granpappy loves the big garlic dills. He says it helps him when he has a sore throat. Black licorice is also good for him when he has a sore throat. I tell ya what, tho', a little less XXX and more dills would transform Granpappy -- yet, I kinda like him the way he is. smile
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/14/12 12:50 AM
I like Granpappy just the way he is, too. I think Beetle would also agree....
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/14/12 01:57 PM
Granpappy was in the kitchen early this morning tinkering with the toaster and a few other appliances. He thought I should start a new game called "Tinkers Dayum". I told him someone might be offended if I call it that. So, he suggested just "Tinkers Game".

Do you know where the term "tinker's dam" came from? Well, in the old days, when a tinker came to your home to repair kitchen appliances or buckets, etc., he used a wad of paper to stuff in a hole of the bucket, then soldered up the hole. The wad gave the soldering material a place to stick to. When the soldering was done, the wad fell out and then was not worth a dayum. Yup! Not worth a tinker's dayum.

So, go on and check out the "Tinkers Game ZYX".
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/14/12 06:39 PM
Absolutely! Granpappy does his best to teach me in the ways of devious activities, but it seems that he always gets sidetracked to talk with the ladies or to bite the cork off the XXX jug. That usually leaves me to conjure up something to do.... hehehehe
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/14/12 07:34 PM
Ohhhh .... Beetle, I am almost afraid to ask, but, what have you got in store for us next? That "hehehehe" sounds pretty mischievious.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/14/12 07:39 PM
With Autumn & Halloween coming, I think Granpappy has some frightening ideas.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/14/12 07:45 PM
Whoa .... I don't rightly cotton to that glint in your eye, pahdner.

Looks like us ladies had better be prepared for the worst you and Granpappy can deal out.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/14/12 10:40 PM
Seems so, Phyllis. There's no tellin' what those two will have up their sleeves this season. Last year was bad enough.....

And with Granpappy a tinkerin'......well, I know he will come up with something so that he and Beetle will have a good laugh at the expense of us gals.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/16/12 04:02 AM
The water balloon fight was a fiasco and I am not sure who won that. Jilly sure had fun in the hot air balloon, though. smile

Granpappy and Beetle 'Shenanigans' have pretty clever and imaginative minds -- so, we need to be prepared for just about anything around here.

Hmmmm .... careful using the appliances Granpappy has been tinkerin' on. :0
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/17/12 03:51 AM
Phyllis.....you have a point about the appliances.....

I went to use the toaster this morning when I heard a big crackle and pop. Then the smoke was a comin' and the sparks were a flyin'. You never did see me move so fast to pull the plug outta the wall and to fling that poor toaster out onto its ear in the yard. All I got outta that was burned bread, and I had to brown two new slices in the dang frying pan after that.

Granpappy owes us a toaster.....
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/17/12 01:14 PM
It is okay, Debbie. I have an extra one in the pantry. I always keep one or two ahead for when Granpappy gets in his tinkering moods.

Sorry about the burned bread. frown
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/17/12 01:24 PM
Thank goodness you think ahead, Phyllis. Best not to let Granpappy know that you have a stash of toasters.

I am really not upset with Granpappy, but it sure was an inconvenience. I could swear I heard a chuckle outside the window, but when I peeked out there I couldn't see a soul. I wouldn't put it past Granpappy and Beetle to be hanging out watching for the fool who was going to "fire" up the toaster for breakfast yesterday morning.

The burned bread got thrown into the compost pile. Waste not, want not.....

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/17/12 01:35 PM
hmmmm .... must have been Beetle and Granpappy a'watchin' you. Bet they got a big chuckle outta that one.

Me thinks there are a lot more tricks to come leading up to Halloween.

Speaking of Halloween. Granpappy says "the punkins are ready to pick." We can have a Jack-o-Lantern punkin carving contest.

If anyone want to submit a pic of their Jack-o-Lantern, I would love to see them.

What all are you folks doing to decorate for the autumn and upcoming holidays?
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/17/12 01:48 PM
Oh, I am sure there are a lot more antics to come....

I love pumpkins. I keep my decorating simple with some pumpkins, decorative squash of various colors, gourds, and indian corn. Last year my decorating included the lovely blue jarrahdale squash and the flesh colored long island cheese squash, both of which are edible. I also used butternuts and acorn squashes to decorate the fireplace mantel. It was very pretty. I try to use edibles where I can, so I can cook them up after the holidays pass. I get the best bang for my buck that way.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/17/12 03:47 PM
I do the same things, Debbie. Autumn is my favorite time of the year to decorate, for I love the colors and the symbolism of the harvest. I have a big, old-fashioned metal watering can with a big handle and spout. I use that to fill with dried grasses, branches and chrysanthemums. It sits on the floor by the front door. I usually stick a small amount of Eucalyptus in the arrangement, for I love that scent -- it is powerful, though, so I am careful not to put too much in there.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/18/12 01:05 PM
I am sure it is lovely, Phyllis. Autumn is a wonderful time with the fruits of the harvest in many vibrant colors and aromas. Such a nice season before the winter sets in.

Have you ever seen decorative millet? It is a lovely wine red and green plant, like an ornamental grass, almost like a mini corn plant. Coming off the tops are great bunches of millet in the same vibrant colors. It makes for nice decorating on a porch, with the addition of mums, pumpkins, and ornamental squash.

Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/18/12 06:21 PM
shhh.... Granpappy, watcha doin' with that slingshot? Don't think you should be aimming it at the squashes on the porch... Okay, you make holes in the flesh & connect the dots to make a jack'o'lantern face. I gotcha!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/18/12 06:31 PM
My gosh! Granpappy is smarter than I give him credit for. He is sure to win the jack'o'lantern contest prize. smile
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/18/12 06:36 PM
Debbie, I have never seen a decorative millet. It must be lovely in an arrangement, in a big basket.

Gotta watch Beetle and Granpappy now .... Granpappy has his slingshot out and I am guessin' it will not be long afore Beetle gets his out also. Both of them are sharp shooters and can take a hair off the ear of a weasel from quite a distance.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/18/12 07:49 PM
Here is my Jack'O'Lantern: eek

I know .... not very original, but quick.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/18/12 08:04 PM
O O
^
##### Good shooting Granpappy - maybe you can aim a little more to the right in some places.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/18/12 08:10 PM
Awesome! What an artist you are, Granpappy. Just look at him .... a poppin' the buttons right off his shirt with pride. smile
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/18/12 11:42 PM
Gotta give credit where credit is due.....
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/19/12 07:41 PM
Buttons on shirt...HECK! That's the buttons to his overall suspenders. Gonna be fun watching him a take to a sprint when I pull out a paintball gun.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/20/12 11:54 AM
You are a little devil, Beetle.....
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/20/12 06:49 PM
Diablo Blowgun... Marshmallows dipped in food coloring would make nice paintball-type ammunition.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/21/12 01:55 AM
Ha ha ha! That's great, Beetle!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/21/12 04:30 PM
Oh, no! Not the paint gun. Guess I gotta get out my own paint gun and mask. Trackin' you down, Beetle.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/22/12 12:50 PM
Do I sense another battle coming on?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/22/12 03:19 PM
Keep an eye out for colorful balls flying around, Debbie. Everything will have polka dots all over it, including us, if Beetle starts shooting those marshmallows around here.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/22/12 03:27 PM
At least we have till Monday, when Beetle gets back out this way, to get prepared for the shenanigans.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/22/12 03:27 PM
I think before the fur starts a flyin' around here I am going to take cover in the cabin. Maybe I will start up a nice big pot of chile and bake some jalapeno corn bread. All this action is bound to bring on some healthy appetites. I know Granpappy will appreciate the hot vittles.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/22/12 03:30 PM
Yep, Granpappy loves his hot vittles. smile
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/24/12 04:58 PM
I think Granpappy will like my cornbread. I am going to put nice whole corn kernels in it too.....chunky and spicy.....it will go well with the chile.

Now that I think of it, I haven't seen Granpappy or Beetle around in a while. That can't be good....
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/24/12 05:41 PM
We must keep on our toes and not get too relaxed -- I saw Beetle a minute ago and Granpappy is taking stealthy steps down from the woods. He has a box of stuff from his shed up the hill.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/24/12 05:50 PM
Well that is proof enough that they are brewing up something....
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/24/12 05:56 PM
Standing with my hands behind my back, swaying back and forth and saying:

"Whatcha doin', Beeeetlllle? Hmmmm?"
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/24/12 06:20 PM
puns intended, eh? proof... brewing...

just catching up & getting a lay of the land... um,er... situation - ikes - just seeing what's goin' on.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/24/12 06:26 PM
Hmmmm .... do I detect a glint in your eye?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/24/12 06:31 PM
Nawww.... That's Gleem. Squeezed the toothpaste to rapidly.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/24/12 06:49 PM
Ok, just checking.

I baked some blackberry pies and apple turnovers. They are in the kitchen if anyone wants any.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/24/12 06:58 PM
Yup, blackberries launched from a blowgun sounds interesting
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/24/12 07:08 PM
Ohhhh .... not, not that!!!! Blackberries stain. I know what! I will stand here with my mouth open and catch them. hahahaha
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/25/12 03:35 PM
hehehehehe -- leave black & blue marks without the bruising! Right, Granpappy?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/25/12 03:48 PM
Ok -- I guess that was not such a good idea. I will use the bucket to catch the berries, then fill your sleeping bags with them. hahahaha
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/25/12 04:26 PM
Better bet... Use a colander as the target & we can collect the juices from the berries for the next batch of Jilly's chemistry project with yeast.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/25/12 04:58 PM
Well, alrighty then! Great idea. I love Jilly's projects and experiments. No wonder Granpappy likes her so much!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/25/12 05:00 PM
We will have some mighty fine blackberry wine or brandy. smile
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/25/12 05:30 PM
Yeah, iffen Granpappy would do more huffin' & puffin' to shoot the berry out of the mini-marshmallow blowgun made of PVC pipe. He keeps inhaling & choking on the berry lodged in his throat <sounds fake>; but I think that's an excuse to eat the plump, juicy ones after it's been rolled around in his mouth.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/26/12 02:03 AM
I don't mind sampling the pies and turnovers, Phyllis. They sound delicious.

Granpappy is always up to something, and if it has anything to do with food you can bet he does not waste. I bet he is squirreling away some of them berries to make a nice concoction to fill a bunch of them jugs of his.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/26/12 07:31 AM
I am back! I took out another one of Phyllis' lovely balloons and ended up in California. What a ride! The coast was gorgeous.

Now to get started with some raspberry shrub for a quicky, and raspberry champagne for the long term. I think it would be super pretty with bubbles.

Do you like dry or sweet?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/26/12 09:25 AM
Jilly! Welcome back, it is good to have you here again. How was your little sabbatical? I love the west coast and really miss it. We sure missed you around here -- the ol' porch just is not the same without you.

Raspberry shrub on a green salad is very tasty! I like my champagne a little on the sweet side.

Ol' Granpappy sure is going to be happy to see you. Seems he and Beetle are cooking up some upcoming Halloween tricks on us gals, so be on the lookout for them sneaking around with who knows what on their minds. smile
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/27/12 12:26 PM
Welcome back, Jilly! We've missed you around here.

Phyllis is right.....there's a lot going on with the guys, and we gals have got to band together and get prepared. There's no tellin' what Halloween tricks they have up their sleeves....
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/27/12 03:37 PM
awww... c'mon... Iffen you look up our sleeves, you'll see that we are <pun-time> ARMED!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/27/12 09:53 PM
Good pun, Beetle! smile

I do not get the hankerin' tho' to look up the sleeves of one with the middle name of Shenanigans. No tellin' what would happen to me iffen I did.

Irish coffee time on the porch!!!!
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/29/12 03:05 PM
I will take a nice cup of hot tea on the porch.

I don't think I care to look up the sleeves of the shenanigans men.......
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 09/30/12 11:33 PM
Autumn has definitely come to the hills and mountains around here. The fresh crispness is in the air, the warmth of the sun is cozier than the heat of the summer, and the nights are chilly.

Beautiful autumn!
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/01/12 03:20 PM
The nights and mornings have gotten a bit chilly here in the northeast as well. Autumn has definitely arrived. In a way I like it because I prefer this weather over heat and humidity, but in a way I am reminded of what is on the way in a few short months. Winter.....not looking forward to it....

I will do my best to enjoy this fall season.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/08/12 05:53 PM
We are still having bright, sunny days and the air is quite chilly at times.

I just made some apple-blackberry dumplings for dessert tonight at my brother's home.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/13/12 02:58 PM
Sounds yummy, Phyllis.

I woke up to frost outside this morning. The colder weather is here and I feel it in my bones. I am not fond of cold weather, but I just have to deal with it.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/13/12 06:15 PM
It's actually chilly in here this morning. What a weird sensation.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/14/12 03:15 PM
Jilly, Granpappy did a chimney sweep and cleaned out the fireplace. He will have a nice fire going soon to take the chill off. I set out all the afghans for those who want to snuggle into one and curl up with a book and a hot drink.

In fact, I think I will do that right now. I am reading "A Witch's Guide to Faery Folk" by Edain McCoy. She is a great writer and this book is very interesting. smile
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/14/12 09:56 PM
Sounds real good, Phyllis. I love relaxing by a fire. I will take one of those afghans and sit with a hot chocolate. Maybe I will even take a nap......
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/15/12 05:45 PM
It is very overcast today and a bit chilly outside. I hope we get rain. We got a little rain last week and the little mountain really soaked it up. The rain washed all the soot from the fire off the rocks and boulders and it smelled like it did right after the fire early in the summer.

I hope those rocks and boulders stay put. If we get enough rain, it could dislodge some of the boulders that are sitting in a precarious position and aimed right at my building.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/15/12 05:59 PM
woohoo - Rolling Stones!!!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/15/12 06:14 PM
Ahahahahaha! Come on over, Beetle, and we will try to jump them as they roll down the hill. smile smile smile
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/15/12 06:24 PM
Human Pinball. No Tilting.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/15/12 06:30 PM
How about Jigging?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/15/12 06:33 PM
... like in Riverdance?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/15/12 06:54 PM
Sure .... better than just standing there and getting stoned. .... oops! did not mean anything other than being hit by stones.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/15/12 07:27 PM
Maybe come out 'level-headed'?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/15/12 07:41 PM
AVALANCHE --- A mineral world pay back for stomping in mud puddles
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/15/12 08:05 PM
Level-headed and praying hard for forgiveness of stomping in mud puddles so gleefully.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/17/12 12:27 AM
I know Burt likes mud puddles.....
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 10/18/12 07:11 PM
Muddle Puddles are for children of all ages. If I did not have a mud puddle to play in once in awhile, I would truly be saddened.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/13/12 03:59 PM
I can appreciate mud puddles, but I would like a little sun now and then. Seems that every time I get a day off from work it is raining outside.....for the past two months now. Not fair! I like mud puddles, but enough is enough!

I see Granpappy behind the shed. What is he doing over there? Is it me, or is he making bricks out of that mud? What is he going to do with all them bricks?

Where's Beetle? I bet he can find out what Granpappy is up to.....
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/13/12 07:48 PM
Ya know... he started doing that after he heard something about making pigs of ourselves for the up coming holidays. Guess he doesn't want us to build houses of straw & sticks. That's so thoughtful of him, but he's got to learn it was just a figure of speech.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/14/12 02:03 AM
Granpappy does take things literally, so we need to keep that in mind. But his heart is always in the right place.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/19/12 09:49 AM
I would love a little brick cottage to live in .... good way to keep the wolves away from my door. hahahaha smile
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/19/12 01:19 PM
Do you think Granpappy will build you one, Phyllis?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/19/12 01:51 PM
Fear of wolves... would that be a lil red riding hood or a 3 lil pig type fear?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/19/12 02:06 PM
OMGosh! I am right this moment wearing my dark pink, almost red, hoodie with the hood up. I just came in from outside and it is cold out there .... so, I guess it would be a lil red riding hood type fear .... or after Granpappy's turkey dinner, it may be a 3 lil pig type fear. Oh, dear me!
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/19/12 04:04 PM
The better to hear you... see you & EAT YOU!!!! Yikes
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/19/12 09:09 PM
NOT a good day for me, I see. I will have to change my hoodie and keep my tomahawk handy.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/19/12 09:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor
Do you think Granpappy will build you one, Phyllis?

I sure hope so, Debbie -- somewhere in Washington, PNW, by woods and a lake. smile
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/20/12 05:28 PM
Let's see... In between bricks goes that MUD-stuff, right? Back to the mud puddles. Just can't escape the topic.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/21/12 02:29 PM
It seems that mud is a big deal around these here parts.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/21/12 03:48 PM
Guess we are all just dirty in character...
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/21/12 04:02 PM
uh-oh! Is there some mud-slingin' going on here? Outdoor shower is out back for quick clean-ups. smile
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/21/12 04:36 PM
Last couple mornings the shower head has looked like an avalanche in stop-motion photography... Possible to have Granpappy wire up a heater out there?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/21/12 09:13 PM
He is out digging in his tool shed now, looking for old heater parts and wiring. He can have that fixed in no time at all.

Meanwhile .... grab a warm quilt.... come sit by the old wood stove in the kitchen and I will get you a cuppa something hot to warm you up.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/23/12 02:18 PM
I've got my cup of hot chocolate warming up my hands right now. It sure is comfy here in the cabin with the fire going, Phyllis. Maybe we ought to whip up a batch of blueberry muffins to fill our bellies. Granpappy just brought in a batch of homemade butter.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/26/12 06:38 PM
Granpappy has gone up the mountain to look for the perfect Christmas tree. He should be coming home about any time now. He took his sled with him. I hope he does not come careening down the mountainside too fast -- last year he missed the cabin and sailed right on down into the Paw-Paw Patch and right on through to the hog pens. It was not a pretty sight after we got him out of the muck down there.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/26/12 09:39 PM
I do recall something about Granpappy wanting to try out for the US Bobsled Team.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/27/12 02:17 AM
It is getting a little too cold outside now to be hosing Granpappy down.....
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/27/12 06:17 AM
Well, I just hope he misses the hog pens then, or I will have to heat up a lot of water to fill the tub in his shed for his bath. He likes a good bubble bath.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/27/12 06:16 PM
I sure hope he misses the hog pens too. I am not looking forward to having to help pull Granpappy out of all that sludge down there.....
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/28/12 04:41 AM
Beetle, Granpappy should try out for the bobsled team -- with you coaching him, the two of you just might win that exciting event. smile
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/28/12 07:56 PM
Hey, Granpappy really needs to work on his starting sprint. He'll never make a good time down the track unless he can move them feet a bit quicker.

<Maybe we can get him running the hills by telling him the revenuers have been spotted heading this way...>
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 11/28/12 08:18 PM
That will get him moving pretty fast, for sure. He has a real aversion to them guys.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 12/03/12 04:15 AM
I don't think Granpappy realizes that he is a bit past his prime.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 12/03/12 04:31 AM
ah! but, Granpappy is magical. Lands sakes, Debbie, he is as spry as he was at the age of 20. It must be the stuff he brews. smile

He keeps Beetle on the run, that's for sure. Course Granpappy is not as mentally alert sharp as Beetle, but he can match him in physical competition. Ain't that right, Beetle?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 12/03/12 01:14 PM
duh???

Granpappy has a mean streak that tends to surface when it comes to physical competitions. A trip, a nudge, a whatever.... He pushes the limit of sportsmanship.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 12/03/12 05:03 PM
Well .... you keep him young, Beetle. smile If not for your enthusiasm for fun, he would just sit on the porch and snooze.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 12/03/12 06:24 PM
Are you saying that I'm an inspirational addiction...???

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 12/03/12 07:06 PM
well .... Yeah! You are an inspiration, Beetle, and Granpappy adores you for that.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 12/03/12 07:08 PM
Oh! and performing early in the evening, just about supper time, down by the canyon ....
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 12/03/12 07:10 PM
IOW .... you keep the forums jumpin' and fun!
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 12/07/12 06:48 PM
That he does, Phyllis!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 12/08/12 08:12 AM
What a guy, huh? smile
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 01/02/13 01:38 PM
I wonder what Granpappy is doing out there in the ice and snow. Is he making a snow fort or something? Hard to tell with him. Some things are not what they appear to be when it comes to Granpappy.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 01/03/13 03:43 PM
One never knows for sure what is on Granpappy's mind -- ceptin' maybe Beetle.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 01/06/13 10:17 PM
Hmmmmm.....so true. I bet Beetle knows what is going on.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 01/07/13 01:06 AM
The only way to get Granpappy away from mischief is to cook him up a down-home meal. Hey, Debbie, you and I are always doing the cooking. I think it is time for Granpappy and Beetle to stir up some good fixin's.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 01/07/13 09:53 AM
Granpappy seems to be is such a hurry all the time, so we'll need to make this snappy...

Minute Rice & Fried Spam. Unless Granpappy is lucky in bagging a squirrel in the snare he built out back by the bird feeder.

Will have Granddaughter out next weekend to brave winter camping. Think I've prepared her for approaching the environment with the right attitude. Only thing is the predictions are for wet presipitation & now the white, powdery type that brings on the added challenges & confidence buildingor just zip out when the snow falls & her school is closed - there's a learning experience.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 01/09/13 10:50 AM
I love Spam and Rice!

Wow! Granddaughter will have quite a learning experience on that camping trip. I admire her courage to follow her Grandfather into such a project. You are doing a great job there, Beetle.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 01/14/13 08:02 PM
I like Spam too. Most people I know think it is an inedible food, but I have enjoyed Spam since I was a kid. It is real big in Hawaii!
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 01/15/13 09:37 AM
Hawaii - Spam - sounds like a Luau & we won't even need to roast Granpappy's pig to go with the poi. We'll just use the Spam.

Now where'd those grass skirts go? Thinkin' Granpappy's been packing his corn cob pipe with it lately.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 01/16/13 01:29 AM
Hmmmm .... I will have to speak with Granpappy 'bout that.

Hey, I think you and Granpappy were at the following event, I am sure I saw you in this video somewhere, Beetle:

Record Snowball Fight
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 01/16/13 10:07 AM
Now, why would a 12-inch 33-1/3 rpm LP vinyl album want to duke it out with a collective bunch of flakes? Or even a 45-rpm single, for that matter?

Get it??? Record - Fight - Snowball ... I figured you read right through me.

Granpappy, we need to improve our winter camouflage, we were spotted getting in some advance practice for the upcoming Town Snowball... Whoa, ain't that suppose to be a shindig over at the County Grange? You been setting me up for trouble again.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 01/16/13 10:23 AM
Granpappy likes trouble and has no problem finding it.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 01/27/13 01:21 AM
Awww! Granpappy is just a fun-loving ol' guy. He has a good heart and you are his best buddy, Beetle -- always there for him.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 01/27/13 01:29 AM
Awww! Granpappy is just a fun-loving ol' guy, Debbie. He has a good heart under all that mischievous facade.

You are his best buddy, Beetle -- always there for him. Without you, Granpappy would just sit on the porch and snooze all day.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 01/27/13 01:37 AM
Winter here in Washoe Valley has been fairly mild so far. We got a little snow that is still lingering in shady spots because the nights are so cold. Days have been clear and sunny for about a week now, with almost spring-like weather in the afternoons. It makes for pleasant walking time.

The jack rabbits came out yesterday, so many of them, running all over the little mountain. That was the first time I have seen them in a few months.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 01/27/13 03:58 PM
I do have a soft spot for Granpappy. I know he means no harm, but he does like his mischief.

It has been quite cold here with a little snow now and then. The cold seems to be getting into my bones now and I long for spring warmth and the ability to sit outside and enjoy nature without being cold.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 01/28/13 09:02 AM
Hey, Granpappy, you up for a little hockey practice down on the pond? Just brooms & a brick will suffice - don't even need skates cuz we'd be a slippin' & slidin' anyway.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 01/28/13 09:18 AM
Now that sounds like fun! I am thinking it will get a little too rough for me, so, I will sit on the sidelines with cinnamon rolls and hot coffee for break time.

Mornin', Beetle. smile
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 01/28/13 09:35 AM
Jus' as long as Granpappy does try to drink hot coffee on the pond. He's apt to spill it & cause the ice to start thawing.

Whoa - an overdone cinnamon roll could make a nice puck; or just leave exposed to the cold & a frozen one could be used.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 01/28/13 10:06 AM
What a great idea, Beetle.

Phyllis....let's leave out one of them cinnamon rolls to freeze for the men. With it being lighter in weight, it will be sure to fly around the ice much easier than a brick will. That means a much better show for us on the sidelines!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/01/13 10:55 AM
Good idea, Beetle! Debbie, a few frozen cinnamon rolls should keep the guys entertained for quite awhile -- also, give us some fun time watching.

No hot coffee on the ice, Granpappy. We got a nice place for you guys to huddle and drink your java off the ice.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/01/13 11:10 AM
HUDDLE?!? That's a football term - we's a playin' hockey & do FORE-CHECKING along the boards!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/01/13 11:59 AM
Oh! So sorry 'bout that, please forgive. I should have known better -- guess I was thinking of 'cuddle' by the fire pit away from the ice.

Does this mean I have been sent to a 'time out'? frown
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/01/13 12:17 PM
Granpappy whispered something about forgiving... I think I heard something about a minute or two as his opposing goalie...
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/01/13 01:06 PM
Hmmmm .... is my time up?

I don't know about this "opposing goalie' thing. He hits those cinnamon rolls pretty hard and fast and I do not dodge fast enough.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/01/13 01:31 PM
You're not suppose to dodge; you have to block/stop the flying disc to prevent it from going into the netting. I see Granpappy bringing out a large amount of equipment, pads & helmets. Guess he's ready to go full bore on the rink.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/01/13 01:48 PM
Dude! I am really in for it now. I gotta learn this game real fast here. Elbow block - dip and knee block - hockey stick (or is that putter?) block - etc.

He is bringing a full-grown boar onto the rink? I am outta here! Those critters are dangerous!!!! Granpappy I might be able to handle, Beetle I have had practice competing with -- but, a boar? No way!
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/01/13 03:01 PM
hmmmm... Granpappy's prep'in' for a Hawaiian Pig Roast & wants to lean up the beast before the feast this spring. Why is the bopar wearing Mardi Gras beads???? !!!GRANPAPPY???!!!
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/01/13 09:00 PM
Oh goodness....it's getting downright crazy out here!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/03/13 02:56 PM
My gosh! Beetle, the boar is wearing mardi gras beads? This is going to be a very interesting thing to watch, what with the Hawaiian Pig Roast and all. Can I have the beads when the boar gets roasted?

Looks like all us folks will have one fine spring this year. smile
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/13/13 10:30 AM
I never had roasted boar, but I'd be willing to try it.
Posted By: Burt B. Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/13/13 10:34 AM
I'm socially inept and just stand there and act tall and stupid.

The boar sounds wonderful, but I'm bringing fried chicken just in case I can't eat a whole bunch smile
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 02/13/13 10:45 AM
I think you are wonderful, Burt. You can hang out with me any time!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/01/13 03:42 AM
You can bring whatever you like, Burt -- as long as you just join us and be here. smile Lots o' Hugs!

Actually, I would prefer he the fried chicken, too.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/03/13 09:51 PM
If we are goin' to have a gatherin' then I had best start a cookin'. What should I make to go along with our meats? Baked beans, scalloped potatoes, macaroni and cheese, cornbread...... I'd better get the oven fired up.

Phyllis....what desserts can you whip up for us?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/05/13 03:28 PM
The tables on the patio are laden with cold salads and desserts of all kinds sitting on ice. Marinated ribs, chicken, sausages, peppers, onions, and mushrooms (Texas style barbecue) are wrapped tightly in foil and have been roasting on the bbq. about 3 hours over a low fire -- this otta give us a perfect meal.

Granpappy, jug in one hand, is watching the boar turning on the spit over the fire pit, and making some kind of plans with Beetle. Looks like more is stirring up there than the baked beans in the cauldron.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/05/13 03:37 PM
Beetle is hunkering down for the next 24 hours. Predictions are the iced desserts will soon be covered with snow come sunset.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/05/13 04:32 PM
Oh, boy oh boy. Better take the food inside and hunker down till the snow storm passes. Lots of hot coffee, hot chocolate and hot tea, plus story time, to while away the hours. Take care, Beetle.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/05/13 05:44 PM
Yep....we're gonna get some of that storm, too. A mix of rain and snow for the next few days.

Best get that food under cover. I will take a mug of hot chocolate with a big dollop of whipped cream on my way to a nice cozy seat by the fire.....
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/06/13 09:37 AM
Last I heard we could get up to a foot of snow. It is coming here soon and Beetle is already in the thick of it.

Thank goodness spring is just around the corner. It has not been a terrible winter, just a long one, and I am badly needing some sun and warmth.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/07/13 10:00 AM
Break out the food on the porch... T'was nothing for WashDC, but the outlying regions to the west (yup, that's where the hacienda is) had a good dumping of very wet snow followed by rain. Was funny watching neighbors who decided to did out of the almost 6" of heart-attack-inducing slush in the rain. Being a snow country native I started & kept up on clearing the driveway & didn't have to get drenched while digging out vehicles buried in by the snowplows doing their job.
Spent the day installing pleated shades at the hacienda with the granddaughter, who didn't have school & I picked up earlier in the snowy morning.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/07/13 12:23 PM
Wow! You have been busy for sure, Beetle. That is a lot of work. Glad all is well for you and family.

I hope Debbie is fine and safe.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/08/13 08:55 PM
I am just fine, Phyllis, thank you. And yes, let's get that food back out. I am starving!

We got about 6 inches of snow here but I had no trouble getting to work this morning. It was actually quite pretty driving with the snow falling and seeing everything coated in white.

It's pretty for about 10 minutes, until you realize that you'd rather spring was here instead....
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/13/13 10:15 AM
After lots of rain yesterday the sun is out and it is very pleasant outside. The cold is coming back tomorrow, but for today it is nice to get a taste of spring.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/16/13 11:00 AM
I just swept off the back porch and smacked the dust off the chair cushions. It is a brisk day but the sun is out. Granpappy is in his shed tinkering about. I can hear the tell-tale sounds of metal clanking around in there. He must have a new project going on.

It sure has been quiet around here lately. I think I will go to the front porch and tidy it up too just in case we get some company.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/16/13 10:18 PM

Oh yeah! We got company coming'.

Company's Coming by Porter Wagner

I got a huge pot of chicken and dumplings ready to set on the table. Woooo - hoooo!
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/17/13 10:18 AM
That's a real knee slapper, Phyllis!
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/20/13 10:54 PM
Granpappy has been in that shed for quite some time making a racket, Phyllis. Any idea what he's doin' in there?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/21/13 10:19 AM
I don't think he's dying Easter eggs.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/21/13 10:41 AM
I know for a fact that he isn't dying eggs. Can you imagine the condition those eggs would be in with all the clamoring going on inside that shed?
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/21/13 12:00 PM
Maybe it's a Easter egg locator... UEF (Unmanned Egg Finder). Don't think they'll let that onto the White House lawn...
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/21/13 12:50 PM
AH! You found out his secret! The UEF was to be a surprise for y'all.

Granpappy already checked with the White House folks and he was sent packing back home. They did admire his gumption, though, and gave him an autographed copy of the Constitution.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/21/13 12:55 PM
Granpappy has a way of winning people over, even if they don't like his little science projects......
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/21/13 01:43 PM
smile You are so right, Debbie -- Granpappy has a way about him that is hard to resist.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/22/13 12:33 PM
Granpappy's gotta to remember that scaring the kids into thinking jelly beans are Easter Bunny droppings (scat) does not occur until Monday, April 1st. He had all the kids donating their candy to his basket... But he'll have good reason this year since April Fools' comes the day after Easter.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/27/13 10:01 AM
Granpappy is smarter than he looks......
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/27/13 01:10 PM
Granpappy just loves to EGG people on that he's a FOOL...
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 03/29/13 05:37 PM
So true, Beetle!
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/01/13 08:41 AM
Well, it is April Fool's Day & I'm still waiting to get fooled upon...
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/01/13 10:14 AM
Oh don't worry, Beetle. I am sure Granpappy has something up his sleeve.....
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/03/13 01:39 PM
Granpappy always has something in mind, that's for sure.

I have been doing a lot more beading lately, trying to use up my antique beads in projects. I am beading a bracelet for myself and have to finish it up soon so I can start on another project. Beads are such a fascinating thing for me, especially the antique ones.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/03/13 02:07 PM
Hey, Phyllis... make Granpappy a bracelet & then he'll have something up his sleeve all the time!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/03/13 02:13 PM
COOL ! What a great idea, Beetle. What colors and size beads do you think he would like? The smallest I have are 15 I think, my antique turquoise ones.

I am feeling so good today, Beetle. Beading always brings me back to my rightful spiritual place. I so love you and Granpappy -- life would not be the same without you two. smile
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/03/13 02:22 PM
Just don't get to excited & stab yourself with the needle.

Granpappy kinda likes to be masculine, so the larger beads could work. 11/o or 12/o - or maybe do one in macaroni & yarn, so he'll have something to eat when he's stuck up at the stillin' works.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/03/13 02:29 PM
Ah hahahaha - macaroni with some jerky, maybe?

Ouch !!!! doggone! needle is very sharp. smile
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/03/13 02:40 PM
Careful, Phyllis!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/03/13 09:07 PM
I got all my beads sitting out, putting ones I think Granpappy would like in my tray and trying to find a pleasing, yet masculine, arrangement that he would like. How fun!
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/04/13 02:11 PM
Who cares about masculinity? Granpappy claims to be half-colored blind anyway; he's always saying the street light ain't red (when it is). Maybe he's just in a rush to get outta town.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/04/13 08:08 PM
Hmmmm......I did just notice a lot of dust a flyin' down the road. Was that Granpappy?
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 04/26/13 10:06 AM
Granpappy just got back from town and he hit up the general store while he was there. Brought back some staple items for the pantry so I think he is hinting at having a hot meal prepared for him. He also has a piece of meat with him. Not sure what it is......squirrel.....possum.......hmmmm......looks like roadkill to me. I will make it for him if he really wants it, but I sure as heck am not going to taste it!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/11/13 04:15 PM
Greetings of the season to all folks.

Granpappy and I got a late start with our spring cleaning. We are almost done, though. Got rid of all the cobwebs, accumulated dust, leftover party junk, and tossing out things we no longer need or want.

Big yard sale is coming up soon. There will also be all kinds of baked goodies and treats available.

Come on over and let's celebrate the nice weather. Barbecues and fire pits are ready to go and we will be cooking up a storm here.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/13/13 12:23 PM
Phyllis....I'm right here and willing to help out in any way I can. It will be nice to get the festivities going again. I loved our good old fashioned hootenannies, and I am looking forward to some more. We'd better get Burt over here if we are firing up the grills.....
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/30/13 10:46 AM
How about a nice "Texas BBQ" ? Ribs, chicken, sausages of all kinds, red and green bell peppers, sliced onions, garlic cloves, mushrooms -- all wrapped up and sealed in heavy duty aluminum foil and slow cooking all day on the grill. Now that is a great meal with garlic bread and salads. smile
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 05/30/13 01:57 PM
Ain't a real Texas Tango unlessen you have Calf Fries <<Rocky Mountain Oysters - Prairie Oysters - Mountain Tendergroins - Cowboy Caviar - Swinging Beef- whateva ya wanna call 'em... Calf Fries is used exclusively in the West Texas towns.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/01/13 11:03 AM
Wow.....that meal sounds fantastic, Phyllis. Count me in!
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 06/01/13 11:05 AM
I will pass on your offerings, Beetle. You know I love ya, but here is where I draw the line.....
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/19/13 04:11 PM
I just swept off the back porch and I am heading around to the front of the cabin. The sun has made its way back here and I don't want to burn my tush off.....
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/22/13 08:22 AM
Sweeping off the porch musta mean it's getting a bit dusty...

Maybe Granpappy can rig up some kind of solar still generator to drive a small fan to blow the cobwebs away?
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Back Porch Folk - 07/22/13 07:19 PM
No visitors lately means that the porch is not getting swept off like it should be, so yes it was dusty, Beetle. Let's see what Granpappy can come up with.....
© BellaOnline Forums