BellaOnline
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Mud Puddles! - 05/24/11 09:12 PM
I have a friend who delights splashing muddy waters on me. Although I gripe about it -- I truly love it!!!
lovers of mud puddles unite!!!

Mud puddles are one of the greatest joys of childhood and I remember those days so well. Going barefoot into a mud puddle, squeezing the mud betwixt the toes, splashing till all the water is gone, then running to find another puddle to jump in. What a joy! What an absolute delight!!!

Did you ever play in mud puddles? blush Do you still?

Sometimes I think every adult needs to take off their shoes and socks and go play in a mud puddle. grin It is good to break away from daily tasks once in a while and just have fun, like you did when you were a kid.

Hmmm...I think I will sign off now and fill my bucket with water, so I can go make some mud puddles out at the foot of my little mountain. laugh

Wanna join me?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 05/25/11 05:37 PM
Well...I never did get out there to make mud puddles. I will try again today.

Everyone needs a mud puddle occasionally.
Posted By: .... Re: Mud Puddles! - 05/25/11 06:00 PM
I would join you if I could, however today is a rare spring beauty! The temperature, breeze, sun, clouds, sky, trees and grass all so peaceful with each other; a pure example of the simple harmony of the true Spirit of Nature.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 05/25/11 06:03 PM
That is how it is here -- except that the wind is very happy and making the voices of my chimes speak to me. And the Hawks are drifting about over the little mountain, screeching at each other.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 05/26/11 02:43 AM
I went down in the creek with my grandson earlier. There is about a foot of water down there. We got barefoot and muddy! So fun!!!
Posted By: .... Re: Mud Puddles! - 05/26/11 04:23 PM
Lovely moment to have! I'll bet you 2 had fun!
I love your description of yesterday--we can all hear the hawks talking to each other now!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 05/26/11 04:45 PM
I love to listen to the screeches of the Hawks!

Yesterday in the muddy waters of the creek (well, it was not muddy till we stirred it up) was so fun. The water is very cold, so we did not stay in long. It is snow melt and I think we are going to have a lot of before long. The creek, when full, can be up to ten feet deep before it floods. I am uphill from it, so I am not worried. But my grandson and daughter live downhill from it. One year it flooded over half the complex.

Mud puddles can help one to step away from the daily grind and let go of adult stresses and responsibilities -- which is sometimes a good thing to do. To be a child for just a little while is therapeutic.
Posted By: Linda19 Re: Mud Puddles! - 05/26/11 05:09 PM
I don't need to get a bucket of water to make muddy puddles, it rained today, YAY!!! we needed it. It is still raining but I have to walk the dogs so I dare say we will all be splashing in the puddles in the grass. My wellies have holes in them, so I grew strawberries in them. I will have to dig out some shoes instead of wearing my sandals blaaa!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 05/26/11 07:59 PM
Or just go barefoot....
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 05/27/11 03:54 PM
It is really overcast, very dark and cold outside today. I do believe we have had all four seasons within the last week or so.

Looks like Nature may be making some more mud puddles for us here.
Posted By: Linda19 Re: Mud Puddles! - 05/30/11 11:21 AM
Same here, the clear blue sky with burning sunshine has given way to clouds and much needed rain, only the rain is an illusion. Gallons seem to fall from the sky but the ground is still dry and needs watering with the watering can.

Barefoot mud puddle jumping...sounds fun!
Posted By: Jane - Native American Re: Mud Puddles! - 05/30/11 03:31 PM
As children playing in the mud puddles, my Mother would always yell to us "Get out o' there, you'll get worms!" There were so many ways to "get worms" growing up. According to the movie A Christmas Story, you can get them eating the holiday turkey before it's ready to serve. According to my Mother, I could "get worms" eating food left out too long, picking up stuff off the ground, petting a stray dog, going barefoot.....

I was never afraid of getting worms, despite my Mother's attempts to instill the fear. I'm sure there is some basis in this, but I have never heard of anyone who "got worms" from a mud puddle. I think the concern was much more for the mud and dirt we would track in later.

There was a local bait and tackle shop with bumper stickers.
GOT WORMS? In spite of much splashing through muddy waters, No, I never did!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 05/30/11 04:03 PM
That is funny! My mother always yelled the same thing at us kids, "you'll get worms!" We never did. The joy of mud puddles was worth the risk of worms.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 05/30/11 04:09 PM
From Wikipedia:

The "oldest puddle"

The Oxfordshire town of Wallingford is home to England�s oldest recorded puddle. There has been a puddle on the pavement at a intersection since April 1976. The puddle�s longevity is in large part due to the disrepair of pavement not resurfaced since 1973. The puddle was initially a source of frustration for local residents who lobbied to have it resurfaced. However South Oxfordshire District Council and Oxfordshire County Council insist repaving is the responsibility of the other. Subsequently the puddle itself has become an ironic tourist attraction and is now the starting point for a local pub crawl, the �Wally Run�.

Beetle should like this. We once played a game of the "Pub Crawl" on an imaginary trip to Ireland. What fun we had! Imagination is a good way to escape the daily stress and tasks we have to face in life.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 05/30/11 04:14 PM
Doctor Foster is an old English fictional character found in nursery rhymes. One of these rhymes was first published in its modern form in 1844, although the rhyming of 'puddle' with 'middle' suggests that it may have originally been the archaic 'piddle' for a stream and that the verse may therefore be much older. The first recorded text was:

Doctor Foster went to Gloucester,
In a shower of rain;
He stepped in a puddle,
Right up to his middle,
And never went there again.
Posted By: Linda19 Re: Mud Puddles! - 05/30/11 09:17 PM
He piddled in his puddle!

My nan would always tell me to have a 'piddle' before we went out in the car.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 05/31/11 05:31 AM
The reference to "piddle" in the poem is thought to be a very old form or term for puddle. Since puddle does not rhyme with middle, some scholars think the original name for puddle in the poem must have been piddle. Piddle or puddle he fell in up to his middle in the muddle.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Mud Puddles! - 05/31/11 03:14 PM
Next stop Wallingford... slip sliding away...
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 05/31/11 05:04 PM
..the nearer your destination... or should that be the the nearer the next pint the more ...slip sliding away...

I am getting my knee pads and gloves on...
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Mud Puddles! - 05/31/11 05:12 PM
Puddle - muddle - fuddle; it's all a crawl away.
Move faster than the other to earn your pint today.

Left - right - left - right; make those strides by two,
If you are the quickest, you'll be first for the loo.

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 05/31/11 06:01 PM
Oh my! I had better get my act together and start moving. Love your little marching rhyme! hmmm...left, right, left...awwwk! fell into the muddle of the puddle...
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 06/13/11 03:54 AM
Fuddle, duddle
I fell in the puddle
up to my buddle
in the muddle
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Mud Puddles! - 06/13/11 07:08 PM
So, it's suttle shuttle shuttle
Toward the puddle to muddle
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 06/13/11 07:46 PM
Love to shuttle to the puddle
Love the muddle twixt my toes
Love to mix up all the muddle
To throw, oops there it goes...

Sorry 'bout that...didna mean to hit ya in the face with it!
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Mud Puddles! - 06/14/11 05:25 PM
Don't fuddle the huddle
To cuddle the muddle
This is my puddle
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 06/14/11 06:11 PM
I was in the puddle
first to cuddle
the muddle
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Mud Puddles! - 06/14/11 06:15 PM
Don't befuddle me...
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 06/14/11 06:16 PM
Well...duddle...dinna mean to befuddle your muddle time

I will just sneak over to that other puddle and cuddle my own muddle. Wanna muddle fight? laugh
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Mud Puddles! - 06/14/11 06:46 PM
Whuddle be the purpose of a muddle fight? To get down & dirty? C'mon...
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 06/14/11 06:49 PM
My muddle puddle:

Public Domain, Wikipedia

Beetles muddle puddle:

This work has been released into the public domain by its author, Davidhc at the English Wikipedia project. This applies worldwide.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 06/14/11 06:51 PM
Nuddle - don't wannna get down and dirty...no muddle slingin' roun' here.

Just .... FUN! () () ()....>>>> Bulls eye!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 07/01/11 01:25 PM
Every path has a puddle.
One can walk around it,
jump over it,
or be a kid again and jump in it!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Mud Puddles! - 07/01/11 01:28 PM
I love it! Some days, don't you just love jumping in?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 07/01/11 02:14 PM

Quite often! laugh
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 07/10/11 02:26 AM
I have a big mud puddle out front near the little creek. Only problem is, Beetle is not here to play. cry

Mud puddles make me feel like a kid again. laugh
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Mud Puddles! - 07/10/11 02:39 AM
I am not nearly as quirky and talented as Beetle, but I do love a good mud puddle!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 07/10/11 02:55 AM
Any one who loves mud puddles will forever have fun!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Mud Puddles! - 07/10/11 03:06 AM
When my youngest son was born, we were in the beginning of a drought cycle. He saw very little heavy rain. One day, when he was about 3, we were at the community college and it started pouring rain. We had such a good time stomping in puddles. It is a wonderful memory.

When I was a child, we had some low spots on our playground. They filled with water and were fabulous for stomping through, playing horses, or taking a finger and making a water drawing. We also had a hill that eroded, and at the bottom there was a 10 foot long 3-5 foot wide mud hole.

When it was wet, we ran and slid in it, made mudballs, and footprints. When it dried, we would kick it-making huge clouds of dust, draw designs and pictures, and pick up hands-full to throw into the wind.

I love mud puddles.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 07/17/11 01:04 PM
Where was your favorite mud puddle when you were a kid?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 07/22/11 07:27 PM
Yup! Mud puddles bring us so much joy and wonderful memories. May you always have mud puddles in your life.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 08/09/11 07:20 PM
It has been so hot here the last few weeks. Last night after supper I walked down to the creek, took off my sandals, sat on a rock and put my feet in the cool water. It felt so good! grin

My neighbor, who takes turns with me feeding the squirrels, brought out her daily garbage to toss in the bin not far from the creek. She saw me sitting on the rock and came over to ask me if I was ok.

I told her I was just being a kid and squishing mud betwixt my toes. She took of her sandals and joined me. We had so much fun, giggling and chatting.

I just saw her out front a few minutes ago and she asked if we could play in the creek again tonight. laugh

Being a kid once in awhile is so good for the soul!
Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: Mud Puddles! - 08/09/11 07:30 PM
Oh, the little child in us needs to come to play! I feel like a child pretty much all the time, until I need to act grown-up for one reason or another.

The world is still a wonder to my child-like mind!
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Mud Puddles! - 08/09/11 07:45 PM
Dayum... Seems like I inspired the inner-child with a lot of us...
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 08/10/11 02:13 AM
You did that for sure, Beetle. There is no better place to be that I can think of than in a muddle puddle with you -- unless it is a Pub Crawl in Ireland. You bring out the child in all of us. smile
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Mud Puddles! - 08/10/11 03:21 PM

~~~~~
\___/ -----=-=-=-=-=====

Mud Pie Fight!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 08/10/11 03:43 PM
Now that is what I call fun! laugh Takes the stress out of the ordinary.

((O)) >>>>>>>>>>>>> shocked
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 09/09/11 12:20 PM
YES! I get to spend the weekend at my mother's. She has a yard, a real yard, with a garden hose. I can make all the mud puddles I want in the old garden that is just dirt.

I will dig a hole, fill it up with water....... Oh, joy!!!

hmmm...I have not had my mother yell at me for years to get out of the mud...this is going to be fun!!!
Posted By: Linda19 Re: Mud Puddles! - 09/09/11 12:40 PM
I was told just yesterday by a friend who has known me for nearly 30 years that the older I get the younger I become.... bring it on I will be 19 again next year hehe, the child has never left me xx
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 09/09/11 12:42 PM
Good for you, Linda!

I have to go pack. I will be back here on Tuesday sometime. Have a great weekend everybody.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Mud Puddles! - 09/09/11 02:57 PM
Have fun in the mud --- We have wall-to-wall; county-to-county; state-to-state mud puddles here in the DC area. I think the weathermen are beginning to report the rainfall in feet vice inches...
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 09/13/11 04:51 PM
Is it drying out a little back in your area, Beetle? I cannot imagine being in the midst of so many mud puddles. Hope all is well with you.
Posted By: Beetlemess Re: Mud Puddles! - 09/13/11 05:00 PM
Actually was able to mow the yard on Sunday after Saturday allowed much to dry out, but then rains came Sunday evening into Monday. Ya know, sometimes I wonder if these puddles here are genuinely mud or just some other form of organic material...
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 09/13/11 05:03 PM
Oh, yuck! Let's hope it is just mud. It must have been nice to get out in the yard and do a little work. Might be a good idea to not play in the mud puddles back there. No back strokes and such...
Posted By: Les Ex-BellaOnline Ed. Re: Mud Puddles! - 11/14/11 05:29 PM
In the small Mexican town that we live in, the rainy season is long gone and so are all of the mud puddles, save one. By "Cemetery Pond," there is a very large puddle, that is being supplied with water by an underground spring (I think?), that takes up the entire width of the road. It is still miraculously giving life to many frogs and hundreds of butterflies and a variety of dragonflies and other insects. Birds, particularly, lesser gold finches and house finches, use it for bathing purposes. If not careful in walking around it while eveerything else is bone dry, this "mud magnet" to the chagrine of my wife is still coming home with muddy shoes.
Soon, that last of the mud puddles will be deleted from the landscape, to inevitably reappear at the start of next year's rainy season. Maria always asks, what happens to the frogs?"
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Mud Puddles! - 11/15/11 12:04 PM
So, you too, are a "mud magnet", Les? I can never pass up a mud puddle. What are they there for if not to jump in?
© BellaOnline Forums