BellaOnline

Have you seen this Camille?

Amsterdam's Rijksmuseum is putting its entire collection online from today.

It has to be one of my favorite museums in the world, an amazing place just filled with masterpieces and could happily spend days there, so will certainly make the most of the offer.

Think it lasts for some months.

Am adding the link for you.

Amsterdam Rijksmuseum Online

Wow, been having a look and what a collection. I will have a good browse through the site later on smile Thanks for sharing details of such wonderful pieces, Francine.
Francine,

Thanks for sharing the website to the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam.

That is definitely one of my future 'must see' museums.

I look forward to seeing all the wonderful art they offer.

Maybe Bellaonline.com will visit Germany/Amsterdam in a few

years and you can show us the sites.
One of my favorite Vermeer paintings from the Rijksmuseum is the "The Milkmaid" also known as "The Kitchen Maid."

I saw this at the Vermeer exhibit in 1996 at the Smithsonian Museum in Washington, DC. One of the best exhibits I have ever attended.

Another painting from the Rijksmuseum collection is Rembrandt's "Night Watch" (1642), his largest and most famous painting.

Who else besides Francine in our reading audience has been to the Rijksmuseum?
Although the d'Orsay in Paris and the Capitoline museums in Rome are my favourites, the Rijksmuseum is in my top ten. I believe it's only recently reopened after a major renovation, and I'd give a lot to see The Night Watch "in person". I've recently been trying to expand my knowledge of art without any money to travel to the great museums. These online museums are just priceless for armchair travellers, but I've also found that, for remembering schools of art, periods and techniques, I can use a free tool called Lexicon (lexicon.geknowm.com). I type in an art term and Lexicon comes up with a definition and a set of related terms. Then I study them at my leisure and ask Lexicon to "Test my memory" of what I've studied and track my progress. I now have a greatly expanded knowledge of what I'd like to see in museums – and a better understanding pf why it's worth seeing them.
© BellaOnline Forums