BellaOnline
Posted By: Meg_Homeschooling Educational Software - 02/04/03 01:05 PM
Do you utilize educational/edutainment software in your home?

Apparently this is quite a topic of controversy!

Question #1 - How do you use educational software/edutainment in your home?

Question #2 - Do you find your children spending too much time on the computer?

Question #3 - How do you balance computer time with physical activity?

Question #4 - For each general age range (ages 2-5, 6-9, 10+) what are your favorite software titles?

I'm going to think up some answers and post shortly!

Meg
Posted By: MM Re: Educational Software - 02/04/03 02:58 PM
I actually expected to use a fair amount of software in my homeschooling, but my children seldom enjoyed learning that way. They preferred old-fashioned books. We did use Oregon Trail--the journal feature is perfect for a homeschooling assignment. For the most part though, our computers get used for writing and researching, not educational software.
Posted By: Meg_Homeschooling Re: Educational Software - 02/06/03 05:13 PM
OK, here are my answers!

#1 - we use software purely for fun and recreation - however, if it happens to back-up a skill they need help with, GREAT!!!

#2 - not really as we limit their tv, computer, and video game time. Most days they have to choose one of the 3 options. Tv is limited to 30 minutes of non-instructional per day (and up to 2 hours per week of eduational videos I pick), video games to two 15 minute periods per day (if they don't use computer), or computer for up to 30 minutes per day. Obviously, computer reasearch and whatnot don't count - just game time. Sometimes I slack though, especially when I am dealing with another sibling or need a rest.

#3- kids are required to spend 30 minutes after lunch outside playing, as well as the time between 4 and 5. most of the time all their free moments are spent playing outside.

#4 - I like the Tycoon series (even my 6 yr old enjoys these), Disney PhonicsQuest, the Arthur read-alongs, and many of the JumpStart titles (though not all). I also like the Age of... series as well for older ones. We make a lot of use of word processing programs and graphic designs programs as well.
© BellaOnline Forums