BellaOnline
www.bellaonline.com/articles/art180889.asp
I am of the opposite end of the spectrum. I've seen kids pushed too early to read and they absolutely hate it moving through life. Late readers tend to do better long term. I've seen both with my own kids. Reading should be fun and a favorite pastime - not forced to keep up with the status quo.
Alice, I totally agree with you. I've always been more of an unschooler though - My kids were not ready to start picking up all this stuff at pre-school age.

Honestly, I don't agree with this article at all. It's not in alignment with my personal philosophy. However, I do know homeschoolers who treat homeschooling as rigorous as regular school, and may follow this model.

I've ALWAYS been way more relaxed - even lazy. Yeah, I'll just say it out loud, I was very lazy when it came to homeschooling. I homeschooled because I wanted to be around my kids, not because I liked teaching LOL!!

When my son started high school in 10th grade (his choice) he did great. He later got into AP classes, and now attends UC Riverside.

My horrible planning, and laziness, did not make him more stupid.

I just personally believe homeschooling should be about creating a GREAT experience - not forcing the same protocols on our kids as the school system does. But whatever works. I know it's different from family to family.

My kids didn't read until later, but always LOVED that I read to them. To this day, my daughter doesn't like to read, yet my son does.

That's why I'm more into creating an experience that matters, rather than forcing my kid into a box of learning.

And, I feel super lucky I get to homeschool my daughter for two more years smile
© BellaOnline Forums