BellaOnline
Posted By: Lynne - ChristianLiving How long to pray - 04/24/10 02:15 PM
It is not easy to keep on praying when you are continually disappointed. How long do you pray before you give up?

My article this week is about the parable of the persistent widow.
Persistent Prayer
Posted By: LeeAnn-Bible Basics Re: How long to pray - 04/24/10 07:18 PM
I vote for King David's strategy...fast and pray with all your might until the situation is over, then get up, take a bath and eat. Never give up while there's a chance for a YES answer, until the NO is final.

Then again, Paul apparently stopped asking for the thorn in his flesh to be removed after three requests. I'm thinking sensitivity to how God's leading you to pray is paramount in each situation.
Posted By: Lynne - ChristianLiving Re: How long to pray - 04/24/10 09:03 PM
I think you are right. Pray until you know you have an answer. I think Paul got his answer after the three requests. "My grace is sufficient."

But it you have no answer, keep praying.
Posted By: Vance - Crime Editor Re: How long to pray - 04/30/10 10:23 PM
How often do you pray about something though? If I pray for someone to be healed of cancer for instance, how often do I pray for it? I have been told that prayers get answered in God's time which is obviously different from our time so do you pray everyday? Every hour? Every week?

Isn't once enough to pray for something without "being annoying"? If God answers prayers in His time, who are we to keep asking for something knowing that He is going to answer it with a yes or a no?
Posted By: Lynne - ChristianLiving Re: How long to pray - 05/01/10 01:43 AM
I have a feeling that God would never consider it annoying to have His children talk to Him. He is a much better parent than I was - I remember that my daughter would say "Mom" so many times I thought about changing my name.

According to the parable I wrote about, God wants us to ask and keep on asking until we get satisfaction. I think that when we are in tune with God, satisfaction will come when we know we have an answer even if the answer is not what we wanted.
Posted By: Vance - Crime Editor Re: How long to pray - 05/01/10 01:43 PM
Ok, so maybe He wants us to keep asking so He knows we are serious about our prayers and not just asking or praying about something because it will make us feel good about ourselves or just "fulfilling our Christian duty?"
Posted By: Profesor_Patricio Re: How long to pray - 05/01/10 01:51 PM
Many times I pray just to fully check in. In our busy lives when things are not always going particularly well or particularly bad I try to pray just tro thank God for another day and let him know that I am thinking of him as well as review my actions and interactions with others during that day.
Posted By: Maureen-Twisted artist Re: How long to pray - 05/01/10 05:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Lynne Chapman
I think you are right. Pray until you know you have an answer. I think Paul got his answer after the three requests. "My grace is sufficient."

But it you have no answer, keep praying.

This is just my opinion but I think that once should be enough otherwise to me it would almost be like nagging. Why wouldn�t your first prayer be good enough to be heard? Sometimes not receiving answer is an answer in itself. Maybe having to wait and be patient is what is needed for that prayer- as patience is a virtue.

Not all prayers are meant to be answered either for whatever reasons be--
Posted By: Lynne - ChristianLiving Re: How long to pray - 05/01/10 08:07 PM
Quote:
Why wouldn�t your first prayer be good enough to be heard?

I understand what you mean, Maureen. God knows everything anyway. It does seem that once would be enough. It's just that, that isn't what the Bible says to do.
Posted By: Shula Re: How long to pray - 06/29/10 11:12 AM
P.U.S.H - Pray Until Something Happens
Posted By: Lynne - ChristianLiving Re: How long to pray - 06/29/10 12:21 PM
Quote:
P.U.S.H - Pray Until Something Happens

Thanks Ferdi. I like that. smile
© BellaOnline Forums