BellaOnline
Posted By: Lisa - Moms We don't celebrate Halloween - 10/29/12 10:00 PM
This is for the families who don't celebrate Halloween. I can't tell you how many pumpkin recipes, and costume crafts, and Halloween decorating ideas I've received in the last few weeks, so I thought I'd focus on families who don't participate in Halloween. Here are some alternative ideas for October 31st:

What To Do When Your Family Doesn't Observe Halloween
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: We don't celebrate Halloween - 10/29/12 10:22 PM
Lisa-

This is extremely thoughtful of you.

Have I told you lately how much I love this site? Well, I do.
Posted By: Lisa - Moms Re: We don't celebrate Halloween - 10/30/12 03:27 AM
Thanks, Yvonnie.

Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: We don't celebrate Halloween - 10/30/12 04:05 AM
Lisa, this is a very thoughtful and timely article that will help a lot of people.

Well done! smile
Posted By: Lisa - Moms Re: We don't celebrate Halloween - 10/30/12 12:48 PM
Thanks, Phyllis.

Posted By: theraven Re: We don't celebrate Halloween - 10/30/12 01:19 PM
This is definitely a great article, Lisa smile Thanks for sharing. On the subject of helping others, maybe you could spare a bit of time and help out in a soup kitchen.
Posted By: Lisa - Moms Re: We don't celebrate Halloween - 10/30/12 02:00 PM
I LOVE that idea, Clare!

Thanks for sharing it.... I may adjust my article and include it if you don't mind. smile
Going somewhere to do community service is a great suggestion for those who don't honor Halloween.
Posted By: theraven Re: We don't celebrate Halloween - 10/30/12 03:50 PM
Thanks Lisa, I appreciate your kind words smile Please feel free to use it in your article.
Posted By: Dominique- Teen Re: We don't celebrate Halloween - 10/31/12 08:30 PM
Hi Lisa,

This is a very great article!

Where I live there are some families who choose not to celebrate Halloween for a kaleidoscope of reasons. But, at the same time, there are many families who do because they know that their children enjoy the holiday.

My family always celebrated Halloween when I was a kid (not so much now since we're all a little bit older). However, I do remember when I would feel bad for kids who couldn't celebrate the holiday because their parents/guardians were very religious or just didn't feel like taking them trick-or-treating.

Personally, I think Halloween is a great holiday for people to have fun and eat lots of candy. It's the one holiday of the year where people (young and old) get to dress up as anything they want and just enjoy themselves.
Posted By: Lisa - Moms Re: We don't celebrate Halloween - 11/01/12 01:01 PM
Thanks for chiming in, Dominique.

Children who do not celebrate Halloween may feel a twinge of envy - all the candy, the dressing up - however, if a parent approaches it correctly - I think children understand the choice or the religious need not to participate.

Not all children observe Christmas or Easter - two more rather prominent holiday that one can't help but notice, and I think most children who do not observe do just fine.

Some of those children have other holidays that they celebrate, and there are some faiths that restrict or prohibit the observation of holiday celebrations. I would love to hear from those families....

At my children's school, there is a family that doesn't celebrate holidays and when there is something at school that the children can't do - they head off to the library to read. The other children do not ridicule them, nor do these children seem to be bothered by it. They are strong enough in their faith to understand their families "rules".

What a great opportunity to teach tolerance!
© BellaOnline Forums