BellaOnline
Posted By: Lisa - Moms How do your children know you love them? - 09/06/12 06:47 PM
Here is a great article with the top ten things children remembered and loved about their moms:

What Children Really Want Their Parents to Do With Them
Having four children, I definitely find it hard to make sure they know that I love them. It's hard with my older two, who are 6 and 8 because they are learning discipline and following rules. You have to find a balance and really listen to your children for sure!
One day my oldest was really struggling, she looked depressed and just really upset. After being frustrated with her behavior and lack of communication with us I sat her down privately and asked her what was going on. She told me she just wanted to spend time with me and I hadn't made the time so she was upset. Making time to listen is so important!
You're right, Jacqueline! Listening is one way to show/tell your children you love them.... so is spending time with them... there are so many ways to make your children feel loved without ever expressing those three words (though that is nice too)

Tucking them in at night is another way to end the day with love
I love this article Lisa!

We have gotten so trapped by adult peer pressures (making sure our children are successful at a million things) that we forget the basics.

My latest article Creating Good Memories is not about the basics, but I hope it will have the same effects.
I just read your article this morning.

Family mission statements are powerful!!!
Thanks Lisa!

The Family Mission Statement is what keeps me on track with my homeschooling. It is what I refer to when I am feeling burnout. Additionally, when I am on the fence about getting involved in something, I refer to it to help make that decision.
do you have your mission statement posted in your home?

how often do you go back and revise or change it?
Yes Lisa!

Because my mission statement has gotten longer, I have to keep it posted in my office/closet.

And yes, I have absolutely tweaked it over time. I remember starting out with the idea that I wanted them to be happy with their choices in life. I remember having the mission to make certain they were happy, well educated, and well traveled.

Nowadays, my mission is to assist my girls on their mission to self-actualization. Meaning, understanding who they are (mentally, physically, spiritually, and emotionally), having confidence in that, (using introspect, research, communication, and personal growth skills) creating what they want, and loving themselves enough to make a difference.
beautiful
© BellaOnline Forums