BellaOnline
Posted By: Angela J. Shirley Soapmaking - 12/05/10 10:30 PM
Anyone makes their own soap?

I must admit, I did call myself trying this several years ago, but just did not the patience or time required.

We would love to hear from you and pass any tips this way too smile
Posted By: regina_niebler1 Re: Soapmaking - 01/28/11 09:49 PM
oh love making handmade soaps, it is so much fun, i have a love and passion for it, it started as a small hobby and grew in a year, i have over 300 that i made, sell them at craft fairs, flee markets, almost all over, If anybody needs to have any questions answered please let me know and i will help you and give you tips... happy soaping and just go for it. :)
Posted By: Linda19 Re: Soapmaking - 01/28/11 10:37 PM
There you go Angela, ask and you shall find. We have Regina, the soap queen. I admire anyone who has the patience to make soap or candles.

I can't use many commercial soaps on my skin. They make me itch. I still use Pear's Soap. My grandmother used to bathe me with it as a child.

Regina, what is a good kind of soap to use on a sensitive, itchy skin? It is not itchy because it is dry, I have had an undiagnosed skin rash which doesn't like a lot of commercial products.

I only use coconut oil as moisturiser because it doesn't make me itch like most creams do.

Peace and hugs.
Posted By: Angela J. Shirley Re: Soapmaking - 12/29/11 01:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Angela J. Shirley
Anyone makes their own soap?

I must admit, I did call myself trying this several years ago, but just did not the patience or time required.

We would love to hear from you and pass any tips this way too smile
Posted By: elkriversoapcompany Re: Soapmaking - 01/19/12 02:35 AM
There is ALOT of stuff in commercial soaps and creams that will make sensitive skin react in horrible ways! This is the reason we started our company [url=http://www.elkriversoapcompany.com]Elk River Soap Company[/url].I am the same way sort of. I can only use certain soaps/shampoos/lotions, etc as well. Laura
Posted By: Christin - Tarot Re: Soapmaking - 01/19/12 03:37 AM
I love making homemade soaps! I was doing it as a sideline business for awhile but with school, work, and family it was just a bit much.

I love teaching it to people - it's not as complicated as so many sites make it sound I think... smile

This is definitely one of my favorite hobbies and it makes great (and much appreciated) gifts for friends/family. I definitely recommend trying it and if you don't like it find a soap maker you do like and order it from them because nothing is as awesome for your skin as homemade soap!
Posted By: AKLisa- Knitting Editor Re: Soapmaking - 05/27/12 07:42 AM
I made my own soap several years ago, and I totally wsnt to get back to it. I moved into a smaller place and took on more work,had kids,e tc., but now I am in a spot that I can start branching back into my interests instead of feeling like I am in survival mode.
My favorite for personal use was to add lavender and peppermint oil. for Christmas presents I would make a Frankincense and myrrh scented soap and wrap it in gold tissue paper for gifts - it was an idea I got from a website I can't remember the name of. Very awesome hobby, so much fun and practical!
Posted By: jujubean Re: Soapmaking - 07/11/12 12:44 AM
Someone with sensitive skin might want a zero or very low cleansing soap. Zero cleansing soaps are what is recommended for cancer patient's very sensitive skin. They still get you clean because thats the nature of soap, but don't have any propencity to strip the skin's natural oils. Ask your soapmaker if they have any zero or very low cleansing value recipes. Castile is made with only olive oil and is very gentle.
© BellaOnline Forums