BellaOnline
"You are forever responsible for what you have tamed."

A very dear friend of mine just posted this quote in the thread from I Want an Exotic Pet - Now I Don't. I really thought it would be interesting to examine what we all thought the meaning of this statement meant to each of us.

To me it is weighty and deserves some serious discussion. We recently talked about chimpanzees and if we had the right to capture and hold captive a great ape very similar to us, humans. We also touched on the possibility that we may indeed be enslaving these primates.

Slave - Meaning �to subject somebody to a dominating influence that takes away his or her freedom.�
Encarta � World English Dictionary � & (P) 1998-2005 Microsoft Corporation.
Both my friend ncc4200a and I love parrots especially macaws and I believe it has been proven they are just as intelligent as a chimpanzee.

We no doubt have the responsibility of caring for anything we hold captive as pets. Parrots are highly social. It is a huge responsibility to be their family.

It is interesting to examine ourselves; and our need to tame these species, is it our need for love? As I look around me right where I am sitting I see four pets at this very moment. Other than the fact I can only see half of a monitor they all appear quite content. It will be interesting to see where this discussion goes.
I have two amazon parrots, 21 and 32 yo this January, both of whom have outlived their original moms. Every couple of months, my sister, who works at a vet clinic, calls me and asks me if I want another free bird that somebody is getting rid of. I know she only calls me when the bird is free and comes with accessories, is similar to mine or very exotic/expensive, so there is no telling how many little, unspectacular birds, like parakeets and such, that she sees people getting rid of. I am not adopting any birds under 20 yo, either, because of my age. Most of the birds she calls me about are too young. I was just thinking about this yesterday. So many household parrots are going extinct in the wild, but they are being bred prolificly in captivity. I know how smart they are, how they form such strongs bonds with people and other animals, and it kills me to see them shuffled around from person to person like home decor. The alternative, however, is extinction. As far as contentedness, yes, they seem incredibly happy, but then their mom has made them the center of her universe. The hubz has worried aloud what would happen to the younger one if something were to happen to me (21 yo belonged to MY mom, but had always really been my bird). We grew up together. He can be really mean to everyone but me. Chimps? That would be just like having an angry child forever with the strength of two grown men. It always ends badly for everyone involved. People can't really keep chimps for long---so they are going extinct, too. I live very close to Alabama, where you can own ANYTHING you can get your hands on. I really don't like telling people what they can and can't do, but I hate to see animal suffering. We live in a world where people (sometimes understandably) don't even want to take care of other humans---even the cute, little kind of humans---so I wish people would put more thought into whether or not they want to adopt something that will never ever learn to use the toilet.
When someone says I want a parrot as a pet, I tell them are you sure? Do you know what it means to be the custodian of such a creature? Have you done research on what their needs are? Those are just a few questions I ask, when people tell me they want one as a pet. I also tell them, "You are forever responsible for what you have tamed." That usually gets them giving me a funny look as they ponder what i just said. For me a Macaw is not a pet, but a life companion. Most likely they will outlive you and your spouse, and you will have a bond with them as strong - if not stronger - then your own child or spouse. Unlike a child - who will eventually grow up and become self-sufficient, a parrot wont. Yes they are about as smart as a 7 year old human. But, they cannot take care fo themselves without your help. From their point of view - You have the whole world in your hands. You determine what they eat, when they eat, what level of hygene they live in, how much social interaction they have... and even if they live or die. You control their whole world! Where as a spouse controls their own world, your child will eventually control thiers ( no matter how much you still think they are your little kiddies - they do grow up.)Your macaw doesnt. ( and this goes for ANY creature you decide to share your life with. I just happen to be a little more dedicated to parrots.) So before you get a living creature to share your world. Please make sure you are ready for the lifelong commitment it actually entails. IF you cannot make the time, then please dont take the pet... If all else, take a photo you can look at occasionally, or get a stuffed animal to occasionally hug.. It will mean one less life ruined because you did not take the time to provide for it.
I agree wholeheartedly! I am the proud companion of a Blue-Fronted Amazon Parrot named Bailey, and she's a sweetheart. She is a rescue. I recieved her from friends who saved her from horrendous conditions - she had been in a covered cage, pushed into a corner and never interacted with. All they did was occasionally feed and water her. She's nearly 11 years old (I think) and all she can say is 'Hello'. By now she should be able to say a few more words. Since I've had her, she's grown so much and is no longer so afraid of people. She really is a good friend and a great protector! And I can hear her trying out 'pretty bird' in the back of her throat! If a person wants a parrot, please please PLEASE be sure you're willing to live with it for the rest of your life. You'll probably have to will it to someone, depending on its life expectancy. It is a long-term commitment, and one I don't regret making. Peace
All the posts in this thread send a warm glow through my body. When I see so much hurt and heartbreak in rescue pets and I become so critical of the human race, then I see testimonies such as these and it renews my faith in humankind.

I would love to have a hand-fed baby macaw, Amazon, or cockatoo right now but it wouldn�t be fair because I am 54 and my health has been beyond iffy most my life. I have a daughter I know would try to take care of it, but she has a toddler and another baby due in less than two weeks. I finally have the space and the place. So, I will continue with rescues, it does the heart good.

I am in Huron, South Dakota and can take rescue birds, skunks, ect, you can contact me via email or forum. I check the forum at least twice a day. It might get a little iffier closer to my daughters due date. But, I will be here.

I remember my birds muttering under their breaths at night learning new words. They would almost whisper in such a sweet voice. Soon they would have a new word or phrase and so proud to show it off the first time. Parrots have such sweet souls and I love them dearly.

Thank you for the acknowledgment that there is far more good than bad in the world. I hope to hear more about your birds.
One of my Macaws I had when i lived in the US was a semi rescue. His previous owners could no longer take care of him, and gave him to a exotic bird store to find a happy home for. He was slightly aggressive at first. took him three days just to step up to my fingers. I refused to force him to step up, and let him warm up to me. After taht he was a charmer, and had a wonderful vocabulary. His favorite words were shut up, and step up, and Aloha - which he said with wonderful enthusiasm. His name was Sylvester, he was a Hahn's Macaw. Just a little bigger then some conures, but he was 100% Macaw. The funniest story was when I went to the post office to pick something up, it was his turn to go for a car ride - which he loved dearly. While in the long line, there was a lady in her mid twenties with two very loud, spoiled, undisciplined children with her. They were running around yelling and screaming at each other, running through the lines - you get the picture. No one would say anything to them or the parent. for fear of geting a load of verbal abuse back from her. Well after about 15 minutes, Syl had enough, and said - in a VERY loud macaw tone; "Shut Up ... Bad Girl, Bad Girl". ( THe bad girl was a phrase he learned from Athena, my Blue and GOld Macaw.) Well, let me tell you, she spun around, and saw Syl glaring at her... The Postal employees stood mouth agape staring at Syl and myself, and the rest of the people in line were doing the same. There was a uncomfortable silence as the children clung to their mothers legs - either in fright or amazement. Then it happened, Syl turned his back on her and started laughing. Well, needless to say so did everyone else!!! Postal employees, customers, Syl and myself. The lady was dead quiet, and couldnt believe that a bird told her children off - how can you yell back at a bird? Everyone else was satisfied - they wanted to say the same thing - but we were not brave enough. Next time someone tells you birds only "parrot" or repeat bnack phrases is probably wrong. I ahve had two birds that actually knew when and how to use language, and would even hold minor conversations wtih you. :)
At least someone had the guts to discipline the child. I will bet you she will never forget that lesson. An Sly got the last laugh. I doubt if many people know much about the small macaw the Hahn�s perhaps you could enlighten us. I have some pictures we took of Sly and Athena when you were visiting would you mind if I posted them?
OH, please go ahead and post them :) Lets see, Hahn's Macaw.. Also called Red Shouldered Macaw. They are similiar looking to the military macaw ( if my memory serves me correct), but have red shoulder. and a few other minor colour differences. They are the smallest of the surviving Macaw species.. Some argue they are a missing link between the conures and the "true" macaws. I dont follow that camp personally. They are about the size of a grown mans fist, with a long tail. And dont think for once that they are any easier to have living with you. As with ALL macaws, they ahve their own distinct personalities, their own moods, their own demands... and yet every bit as loving, funny and wonderfully charming... just in a smaller package. Basically they are a condensed Macaw.. as with anything that is condensed, they are a bit... "more". In one moment Syl would have a severe napoleon complex,a nd think he is bigger then a Hyacynth - and hold his stubborn ground like you would not believe. The next moment ( especially if that tactic did not get what he wanted.) He would slightly turn away from you, then looking over his shoulder with teh most loving expression and say ALOHA!... That usually got him what he wanted :P See above about being manipulative :P There were tiems he would chase Athena - a Blue and GOld Macaw off "his" cage. ANd believe me, Athena would run. Yet, he would back down if he was on Athena's cage, lol. The funniest site you ever saw. They were not actually going to do any harm to each other.. More like a brother and sister having a disagreement over who has what rights. I have seen other Hahn's that were more loving passive then Syl, and some that are definately one person birds. What I am trying to say is there is no one type of bird they are. Their personality is as unique to each bird as it is to a human. Their personality starts to develop from hatching, and every experience with and without humans goes into their persona. Syl was the product of several loving familes, who had severe changes in their households that were beyond their control. And unfortunatley that meant he was sent to a new home. In my case, I moved to Australia to retire. At the time there was every possible thought that I would be able to bring them across. That it would only take a little bit of time and patience dealing with teh Australian Quarantine Service. Well over $15,000 and 6 years later. I was nowhere closer to getting that last hurdle approved then I was at day 1. So I made the most agonizing decision I ever had to make. I had to finally in my mind give them up, and fortunately they ere with a loving family. Not a day goes by that I dont think about them. I miss them as a parent would miss their children. In my mind, I broke the one promise I made to them, that I would take care of them forever. I still consider myself responsible for them, nothing will change that. I did what I could to make sure they were with a loving family. and I even got to see them one last time. It was about 4 years after I dropped them off. I was told to expect that they would not remember me, and not to take it personally. I told them, dont be surprised if they do remember me. Well, not only did they remember me, but they were very happy to see me, and acting all silly. Whistling, making laughs and saying their favorite words... Yet they knew it was only a last visit. I cannot explain it, but somehow they knew I was coming by to say hello one last time. On my way out, Syl said nite nite, and Athena kept saying luvya. It has been 6 years since that day... and even now, I get teary eyed thinking about it. So when I say, Please make sure you can forever take on the resonsibility of caring for such creatures - please really think about what it means. ( ok I got a little side tracked.... :P)
Sly

Here they are smile
Athena
Ryker - my Blue and Gold
I havent seen those pics in a while.. But I recognised exactly who they were ;). I will try and upload a picture of Sam. Not the best at this bloody technology.. but wil get a try at it :)
I can't wait to see Sam. Email to me if you want me to upload I will make your own picture page to link to if you like. Riker wasn't very old there, just months old.
This is a very interesting discussion and I am happy to see it happening. I agree with all these sentiments. My dogs are MINE and a part of me. My pack companions and furbabies.

My hubby does not care for them, which hurts me, but I won't cast them aside just because he considers caring for creatures a burden.
Also, very gorgeous parrots!
I don't think there is a missing link between the Hahn's and the conure seems a bit farfetched to me. The Hahn's is too distinct of a species obviously macaw. Also the conure and Hahn�s behaviorisms and personality are considerably different. I don�t think I will join that camp out either.

ncc4200a, did you say Athena was a different sort of Blue and Gold; Blue and Gold but of a rare variety. Searching memory, memory is short circuited.
Sioux, is Bailey saying pretty bird yet? Since you mentioned she was practicing I was curious as to when the next words would come. Can you give details the Blue-Fronted Amazon Parrot? They seem to be one of the more popular Amazons.
She had a very rare and unusualy trait. Her eyes stayed brown. a double recessive gene trait. When young, The Blue and GOld's eyes are brown, and turn to a grey-silvery blue upon maturity. Hers stayed Brown :) Which fooled a lot of people. They all said, Wow she sure acts rather mature for such a young bird :P The only other "rare" genetic trait Blue and GOld I have seen is a Albino Blue and Gold.
You can see the brown eyes in my young macaw Riker, Athena's look simular. That is interesting. I would have loved to have seen the albino blue and gold...wow.
No, Diana, she's not said it yet. :( But she's practising. I keep encouraging her and she seems to like that a lot. She purrs when I tell her what a pretty bird she is, and does a wolf-whistle, which is actually pretty funny. Every time she whistles, I say 'pretty bird!' Sometimes I think she's trained ME! lol I'm not sure what you mean about details. I'm still learning about the breed myself. From the top of her head to the tip of her tail she's roughly a foot long, and her wingspan is nearly two! I'd love to upload a picture of us together, but its on my phone and I'm not sure how to do that. :S If you could be more specific, I'd love to try to answer you. And my Isis is an absolute HOOT! I'm surprised at how affectionate she is! I'll hold her and she'll give me kisses, licking on my lips... some folks might find that icky, but I don't. She's so sweet!! My Snow Corn, Freya finally did eat. Turns out she was getting ready to shed again, so that's why she wasn't interested in Isis. I just can't believe how fast she's growing. We figure she's about a year old now, and she's just about 3 feet long. Wow! And again, pictures on the phone..... I'll figure it out eventually.
It does sound like she has done an outstanding job of training you smile Isis sounds sweet as heck. My rats use to love to hang out on my shoulder under my long hair. They hated it when I cut it short. I am growing it out again, too old for long hair or not. The animals love it long. The parrots like to preen it. I can't use anything on my hair...anyway. My kids are so spoiled it scares me. My desk is even arranged for animal comfort.

Email me via the bio on my main site. That will give me your email though I am pretty sure I have it. Then you can email me whatever pictures you want posted on your cell phone. Then I will upload your pictures and give you your own person url so that you can use the pictures anywhere. Just plan on emailing me. Then I will respond back. I am out of town for the day, below zero or not, I really hate cold weather.
Sioux, Yes, I do wonder what the roles are with Birds.. It does seem that while we think wea re training them, they are actually training us!. Remember hwo the world works from teh Birds point of view: 1) What is mine is MINE! 2) What is yours, is in fact MINE! ( You just havent realised it yet.) 3) What ever I see is also MINE!.. Especially shiny and sparkly items like Diamonds and jewelery. 4) When in doubt about whose items it is, refer to rule one... ( unless the item in quest is broken - which I had NOTHING! to do with, then it is yours).
LOL, ncc!! VERY true! I have several earrings in both ears, and Bailey LOVES to play with them. If I tell her to be gentle, she growls at me! She's a riot. And *sigh*.... Apparrently I'm awful at sexing animals. While playing with Isis today, I noticed she's actually a HE! I guess he wasn't old enough for the testes to drop. So Isis has become Osiris, which is actually more fitting, given how he started out in this house! Diana, I'm unable to even upload the pics from my phone! I'll try to figure it out soon though. I do want to share!
Sioux, can you email them to me from your phone? We have our cell phone on bare minimum during the winter. Last month we used four minutes out of 500. Otherwise you could just send to our cell. We will bring it back to full service in the spring. I really am not sure how to go about this. Maybe someone will happen by in the forum and explain this to us
There was a Hyacinth macaw I fell in love with at Cedar Hill Birds in Lodi CA. I was forever going down there just to visit this macaw, Angel the cockatoo, and a variety of other beautiful birds. This Hyacinth would grab my watch or glasses every time, just as quick as lightening it would snap the watch. Thank goodness for Timex � good and plenty and cheap.
Diana, I've emailed you via your site. Thanks!
I forgot the LOVE buttons. I have noticed a few different birds taht would remove a shirt buttons in a split second. You would just think they are snuggling, and POP there goes teh button. LOL. While not as embarassing for men, it can be rather different situation for the ladies. ( This was in a store mind you.)
I had one snap off the pastic loop on my bra strap once, that too was at a store. Why don't they do these things at home??? lol
I think they know EXACTLY what they are doing. "Hmm, lets see.. what happens when I snap this in the store...." A few seconds later a loud shriek, lots of laughs, and red faces. Then the bird says, "That was fun, will have to remember that one for next time." Just remember Macaws are about as intelligent as a 7 year old child... and just as manipulative as a teenager, a streetwise teenager at that :P
Thanks for the Christmas card that was sweet. Jump on a jet to the states and spend Christmas with us. When is the last time you saw snow?

They are like children when they misbehave; they usually don't unless someone is around to notice the behavior. Then they do it for #hits and grins, to get a reaction. Little monsters lol.
Hahn's macaw is it really as small as a conure. I have never seen a small macaw didn't know they existed. What are they like?
I think I will let NCC answer this one, I remember the Hahn�s climbing my leg, perching on the edge of my plate and eating all my spaghetti (and anything else the majesty wanted lol)
They are teh smallest of teh surviving Macaw species. Actually very close to the size of a green cheeked conure.. Or roughly the size of a grown man's fist ( minus the tail of course ). The best description I have heard fo them is Macaw Boullion... All the essence of a Great Macaw, compacted into a tiny easy to carry package. And being so concentrated, they also tend to suffer from Napoleon Syndrome ( That is what I called it.) Syl is a very loving bird, but he also displays his emotions on HIS time frame. Some moments he would be the most cuddling lil creature you ever saw.. other moments, he would not want to be touched. If you remember the little chickenhawk from teh old foghorn leghorn cartoons. That is what SYl reminded me of. HE would strut around like he was a full sized Macaw; Chest puffed out, head held high. Yet inside he was the most loving lil guy you ever saw... Trouble was sometimes getting past his tough exterior. ahaha. The biggest mistake people make with Hahn's is that they think, OMG, he is sooo cute, I just want to cuddle him. Well they ahve the same personality of the big birds. THey can be demanding, manipulitive, controlling yet the most loveable devoted companions you have met. And like Macaws, they love predictable behaviour. They dont like sudden changes, but can adapt to new situations. Just remember they have very defined personalities, needs, wnats and desires. Just because they are so small - do not think they are cute little cuddly stuffed animals... :P
NCC I love'd your discription of the Hahn's macaw. I can visualize them struting their stuff. Sounds like they have more going for them than Napoleon - chickenhawk lol
The funniest part was when Syl and I were watching the Foghorn leghorn cartoon with the chickenhawk in it. I started laughing and told Syl, your a Chickenhawk. He promptly repeated CHICKENHAWK in a loud voice, then started laughing. That was the only word I heard him pick up from just hearing it once. LOL. It was a rather amazing event, and extremely humorous. I couldnt stop laughing fora long time after that. :P
Hi I am new to this forum, but was looking for some advise I just added a catalina macaw to the family flock, was wondering if any one has an opinion on covering their bird at night I have two other macaws and an grey and dont cover them the previous owner said that she covered him at night but I really think that he was covered due to alot of screaming. I just dont like the covering I feel that it makes him feel alone. But it brings me to the problem of his screaming I have been covering him for 5 min when he screams then taking it off I am open to suggestions thanks
Is your house pretty dark at night? You don�t leave a lot of lights on or have a lot of commotion? A bird needs 10-12 darkness a night so that their their internal clock works correctly. The screaming is a whole different issue (unless he screams only during the hours he should be covered, and then it is a case he needs to be covered).

Previous to coming to your home had he gotten get out of cage time? Did he have mental stimulation with a lot of toys rotated frequently? How high is his cage and playpen? You need this to be lower than you are. You can't train a bird unless it is lower than your level.

Is this screaming all the time or just sometimes? Parrots scream � it is natural. If it occurs all the time you have a behavioral modification routine ahead of you. He could be screaming because he needs the 10-12 hours of darkness and isn�t getting the sleep that he needs.

Unless this screaming only happens when the bird should be covered, then it is a reinforced behavioral problem because he was a bored and unhappy bird. Yelling at the bird only reinforces the problem further � any attention is better than no attention at all. Remember, all this is from previous owner, but you�re the one that has to undo the problems and it is a timely, have patience process.

First I�d get him off to an avian veterinarian often a bird screams because it is sick or uncomfortable. Ask that a chem pan be done. If the bird proves to be healthy then we need to work on why the bird is screaming. Don�t get angry, yell, hit the cage, birds are drama king/queens, they love attention anyway they can get it.

Establish why the bird is screaming keep a bird behavioral journal and jot down the time, what he is doing when he starts screaming anything pertinent. Start establishing dominance. Make sure the bird is always lower than you are, including the cage, playpen, don�t allow him on your shoulder, It will be a long time before he will be allowed on your shoulder. Start stair stepping him. Step up step down, keep your arms around waist level, and get the bird well below you.

Reinforce good behavior with a treat or new toy. Only give him toys or treat when he is good and sitting quietly. If he screams cover him or leave the room and don�t return until he has quieted down. When he is quiet again reinforce the good behavior. Make sure he has fun interactive toys and rotate them frequently.

Tell you what, work on this, and I will write a complete article on it this weekend smile
I am setting up an appointment with the vet. I am not real sure of his past owners I think that he was left in a room by himself and covered up (screaming) His past owner said he liked being covered I think he has problems with being alone if you leave the room he screams alot I have been tring to reassure him that I am coming back As far as toys he had one swing I think he also has a nutrition problem He really is very sweet but gets over stimulated very easily when he screams I put him in his cage covered for about 5 to 6 min then take the cover off My house is not totaly dark I leave a small light on and it is very quiet it is just myself and my boyfriend so I think the screaming is something he learned to get attention from past owner. I know that all my babies have sometimes they all like to scream i accept that but this is different thank
I think the vet is a good idea. I am sure he just learned unwanted screeching because he was lonely and needed time with his �mate� his people mate. So few people realize how important socialization is to parrots. People have to be willing to spend a great deal of time with them; heck people aren�t even willing to spend necessary time with their children. It takes special people to have parrots, a great deal of quality time is as important as is the proper stimulation. Get some nice toys to disassemble lol, that�s the stimulation he needs along with quality time with you guys. Taking a bird home and not realizing its needs is like taking a very bright eight year old and placing him or her in first grade. I am afraid I would develop screaming habits as well. They are intelligent, they need activity, stimulation from toys, music, television, but leave the nature channels off a predator on one of the nature channels could scare the tar out of him. But most of all, quality time from their people. Macaws mate for life. They can�t be denied socialization. Be patient a lot of undoing needs to be undone by you from the previous owner.

His previous owner used the cover as a turn-off switch for the bird. That is cruel. Of course he is quiet when it is dark.

It doesn't sound like where you have your birds at night is a problem at all. A night light is good.

How is the macaw doing Vitts?
still not good constant screaming i know that it is for attention if you leave him in a room by himself he screaches,it is not that he cant see the other rooms but he just yells and yells he is very sweet to me the former owner told me that he didnt like men. Well there was no kidding with that he hates males ??? he will seek out my boyfriend to try to bite him ... We have tried to put him on a playstation with treats so he could be with everyone a little at a time he did pretty well for about min with minor trying to climb down to see me and screaching. I hope I didnt bite off more than I can chew I am already attached but I dont want him to live under a cover in the dark all his life,I feel when ever he gets out of control I dont know what else to do to calm him except for the cage thing ..please help he really is a sweetheart I can deal with his hatred of the male spieces later my main concern is the screaming it sets off all the other flock thanks for listening vitts
vitts

I can see in my email you left a post, but I can't find it in the forum anywhere, I am going to attempt to answer your post (I can see it from my email). Once parrots start screeching it has become a learned behavior. It takes a long long time to unlearn these unwanted behaviors. It takes patience so much patience sometimes you feel like you are going to start screeching yourself. Reward his quiet behavior and IGNORE the screeching; the unwanted behavior.

Try music, television (stay away from nature channels) get a couple of those rope toys with blocks and stuff, where they spend hours unraveling the strings. Give him stuff when he is quiet. Turn away from him with your back to him if he screeches. They need a lot of toys to keep them occupied.

If you leave the room and he screech, if you have to return during the screeching, return, in mean (but calm) voice say bad bird, and turn your back to him, ignore him until he is quiet.

Do either of you sing? Sing to the bird, he will love it. Sing children�s songs with limited body motions. Just close to body stuff, no outreached arms, and such. If you�re happy and you know it clap your hands. Things of this nature.

Will your boyfriend spend time with the bird? Does he like the bird? If he does and will spend time with the bird, have him spend some quality time every day talking softly, giving treats, try to stay out of biting distance but don�t show fear. There is a reason he or she doesn�t like men, someone was cruel at some point in time. Get some cool toys (just cheap Kool-Aid colored safe wood blocks from a lumber yard. Just make sure there are no chemicals on the wood.) They love to disassemble stuff. Have your boyfriend give him these special toys (only if the bird is behaving).

Keep that bird busy. Only cover for short periods of time during screeching episodes, or just use the� I am unhappy ignore him with back to him method� instead of covering. Cover at night to give him 10-12 hours of dark sleeping time though.

I hope you can stick with it; it will only get worse if you have to give up on him.

It will take time. These birds have the intelligence of any human. Once a child has behavioral problems you know how difficult it is to undo these behaviors.

Did you go to the vet and what did the vet say?
Now your post shows, my post just created page five and I can see your post.
WE ARE STILL WORKING A LITTLE AT A TIME HE DID PRETTY WELL TODAY WITH THE SCREACHING AND HE APPEARED A LITTLE MORE CALM ON HIS PLAYSTATION HE EVEN ALLOWED ME TO LEAVE THE ROOM FOR A FEW MIN WITHOUT HIM SCREAMING. AS FAR AS A BAD BIRD MY AFRICAN GREY TELLS HIM THAT ALL THE TIME. IT WAS KINDA SAD THE OTHER DAY HE HAD A REAL BAD DAY SPENT MOST OF THE DAY IN AND OUT OF HIS COVER THAT NIGHT WHEN WE SETTLED HIM IN FOR THE NIGHT HE SAID AM I A BAD BIRD IT BROKE MY HEART. WE BOTH SING TO HIM AND MY BOYFRIEND TRIES TO TALK TO HIM BUT HE STRIKES OUT ALOT AND REALLY SCREAMS IF HE COMES NEAR ME I CANT BELIEVE THAT HE HAS BECOME ATTACHED TO ME THAT FAST..ALTHOUGH I FEEL VERY ATTACHED TO HIM ALREADY I GOT HIM A NEW TOY BUT NEED TO FIND SOME OTHER ONES TO HANG IN HIS CAGE TO KEEP HIM OCCUPIED. I AM HOPING EVERYTHING WORKS OUT HE IS A SWEETIE THABKS VITTS
It will take a lot of time and patience but I know it will all work out in the long run. Remember this bird is just as intelligent as a human. They are very social. What ever this bird saw a man do, he is not going to get over it for a long time. Just like it takes us a long time to trust again. I suspect he saw a man strike someone and things to that nature.

After your last post, I can see the wheels turning in this little guys head. He will come around. He sounds like he is well worth the love, patience, understanding, and TIME that this is all going to take.
It sounds like there is two things going on here. One the bird loves you dearly and will do anything to get your attention.. That is not a bad thing, but he has developed a bond with you that is a a slight issue to him. As he feels your boyfriend is a threat to his "mate". That will take time for him to adjust to. Second he has the issue of screaming for any attention. Time outs help, if you stay in the room with him screaming, make a direct attempt to turn your back to him. That tells the brid you are annoyed with him and do not appreciate what he is doing. ( It is also tantamount to telling a slightly spoiled 5 year old "NO."...) Sometimes it may increase the attention seeking behavior... So just stick with it and with the time outs by covering him up. Eventually he will learn what behavior actually gets him the rewards he actually wants. With the boyfriend that is alittle more difficult... Maybe have the boyfriend spend a little more time with him when you are not there. Have him change the food and water and even clean the cage, he needs to develop a bond with him also. ( Ok, I can see the boyfriend getting mad at me, LOL.. Sorry mate. :P). In time the bird will learn what his bond is, and hopefully wil develop a bond to both of you as his flock. Not just you as his mate.
BTW Diana, I got your card yesterday!! YAY for slow postal employees riding kangaroos to deliver the mail!!!!. ( well actually a motorcycle, but it sounds funnier when picking on the Australian post to say they ride roos'.)
Kangaroos usually are faster than that maybe they should take up using roos as a means to deliver the mail. It took 16 days to get from South Dakota to Australia! Any, lol Merry Christmas! It is summer there now, right?
Yes, it is summer :( Disgusting and hot. But give Melbourne 5 minutes and the weather will change. Ill gladly take winter any day over summer!
Good this have a "student" exchange for a couple of months smile
TIKI IS DOING OK THE SCREAMING IS STILL GOING ON BUT NOW MY B&G LIKES TO JOIN IN . MY BOYFRIEND DOES TRY TO TALK TO HIM AND FEED HIM BUT TIKI WILL LASH OUT VERY QUICKLY HE HAS BITTEN HIM A COUPLE OF TIMES PRETTY HARD TOO. WHEN TIKI SAYS HEY BUDDY YOU KNOW HE IS TRING TO GET MY BOYFRIEND NEXT TO HIM TO BITE HIM.LIKE I SAID THE BITING IS SOMETHING I CAN DEAL WITH LATER MY FIRST PRIORITY IS THE SCREAMING IT IS REALLY BAD,BUT I GUESS HE HAS GOTTEN A LITTLE BETTER IT WILL JUST TAKE TIME .. MY AFRICAN GREY BUMPKINS LIKES TO CALL TO TIKI AND GET HIM GOING THEN YELL AT HIM AND TELL HIM HE IS A BAD BIRD I GUESS WE ALL NEED TIME TO ADJUST IT IS JUST I GET A LITTLE NERVOUS THAT I WONT BE ABLE TO CONTROL HIS SCREAMING AND EVERYONE IS GOING TO PAY FOR IT STRESS!!!!!!!!!! DO YOU TRUELY BELIEVE THAT EVENTUALLY HE WILL ACCEPT MY BOYFRIEND AS PART OF THE FLOCK OR WILL HE ALWAYS BE LASHING OUT AT HIM HE ACTUALLY SEEKS HIM OUT TO BITE WHEN MY BOYFRIEND IS NEAR ME TIKI MAKES THIS CRYING SCREAM, SOUND IT IS WEIRD VITTS
I am going with you Diana. Its cold outside! Did you see the poem coming through email? Winter [censored] It's Cold The End
It takes time for a bird that falls in love with their mate to accept boyfriends - girlfriends. My conures haven't done that I guess because there are two of them together. Plus, they only have had one home. Diana is right with her advice and it does take a bunch of time and patience. They are like kids. They try to get attention and do all sorts of bad things, they want attention even if it is bad attention. The other birds may join in for a while simply because they all feel they need to be the loudest.
The real question I ask Bird owners.. Who is really training who? It seems like the Birds tend to train and manipulate the humans more sometimes, LOL. They are smart... very smart!! Who needs kids, I have birds, :)
I think I am inclined to agree with the kids part, animals have fewer hormones to deal with. Don't have to worry about dating. Staying out all night. Good point ncc
With Animal House having several anti exotic pet shows broadcasting. (The pythons and monitors are a serious problem) I am not downgrading this problem in the least. This problem had far more to do with the class 5 hurricane than exotic pet owners. Though there were obviously some releases. I felt it was a good time to dust off this tread and continue with it. We have all got to know each other a little better. I think the main thing to bring out is the difference between responsible exotic pet owners and the non-responsible; in far fewer numbers. Why must the press show the rare bad side and not the proximate good side of exotic pet ownership?
© BellaOnline Forums