Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Do you apply foundation with your fingers, a cosmetic sponge, a brush, or something else (like a puff)?

I usually use my fingers, although i HAVE a nice brush for it. I just keep forgetting to use it.

I notice when Carmindy adds foundation to her clients on What Not to Wear, she always uses a wedge sponge. Does that give a nicer, more even application? Or is it kind of a waste of money and resources to keep using and throwing those away?

I am thinking about trying those sponges but am curious what other people do.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Hi Jill,
It all really depends on the type of foundation you are using. If you are using a liquid mineral foundation use your hands first. Then use a brush with some translucent mineral powder to set, swirling in a circular motion. If you are using a non mineral(Make sure you wash your face after every use when your day is done)Use a sponge to help pull the make-up around your face. remember to dab the sponge up from your jaw line towards your temples for the lower face and side to middle of forehead for upper face. You will also want a setting powder on then also. If you go to the dollar store, they have triangle and circular sponges that work just the same as the more expensive ones.

Tracy Morales
Esthetician/Make-up Artist

Tracy Morales
Esthetician/Make-Up Artist
Complete Wellness Center
~~ Karma ~~
B
B
I use both a liquid and powder, but I apply the liquid with my fingers. The reason is because a sponge will absorb the product, and it will not last as long. For the powder, I use a puff to apply it. I like good coverage, so I use the puff to pat the product onto my face, and that helps me achieve the level of coverage I want.
www.ethnic-beauty-central.com

Zebra
Zebra
I've used non-latex sponges for years. Love them.

I do think they blend better than fingers. I've never used a brush.

Darn, it is probably not environmentally friendly. But, I do keep them for a long time! LOL--probably not a good idea, either.

Parakeet
Parakeet
I like the sponges you get at Merle Norman. They last forever and can be washed. They help apply wet foundation really well. I wet the sponge first, then squeeze it into a towel to kind of dry it, but it's still damp. Then I put the foundation in dots on my face, then I use the damp sponge to even it out. I got a makeover recently and they used a brush and told me it's the best way because it keeps the foundation ON your skin rather than making it soak in.

But I disagree I did not like how it looked. I don't want to see my foundation, I like to look natural.

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

Elephant
Elephant
The use of a brush allows you to feather out foundation and placing it heavier where you need it and lighter where you do not.

As a professional, I use both sponges and brushes. I NEVER EVER EVER use my fingers.

As a drag queen, I use sponges, brushes and foundation sticks which spread on with the stick and use a sponge or brush to blend.

Of course, the key to any method is a good translucent powder to set the foundation we use. :-)

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I used to use my fingers, but now I use a wedge sponge. I wash it out thoroughly when I'm done, and use it again. I imagine they must not last forever but they do seem to last a while without any odor or color ... I *think* they wash out thoroughly ...

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
I use fingers.

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
When I use my mineral makeup, I use my brush, except for under my eyes - I use my finger then, because it gives me so much better coverage (really hides the dark crcles).

When using the mousse foundation I used to use a sponge, but I found my fingers actually blended better - no streaking left from the sponges.

When I went to have my pictures made at Glamour Shots yesterday (yea - so much fun!), they did the airbrush foundation. THAT was amazing. I never wanted to take it off!

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
When I used liquid makeup, I always used a sponge. It just went on so much better. Now with the mineral makeup I use the brush. I might try some of the tips you guys listed for extra coverage under the eyes though.

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.