Next Thread
Print Thread
#502611 03/14/09 10:19 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
I was wondering if anyone was still watching the show and what they thought of it? I haven't been able to keep up...and some people (especially women) have told me they've been put off by what seems to them to be basically a plotline in which the main character is raped and assaulted without having any say in the situation. Also, hearing Jozz Whedon discuss his problems with Fox (what else is new) is a bit discouraging. Any comments?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
Shark
Shark
M
I've been watching it and think the whole 'rape' characterization is a little extreme, but I do find it very, very off-putting that the main character is basically whored out in every episode. I had hoped that the show would not go in that direction, but it has. The excuse for it seems to be that it's okay because she doesn't remember it afterward, and also because she volunteered for the job, but it just seems to me that there are much more interesting directions that show could take, but instead it just does pretty much the same thing every week: she sleeps with someone, then she does something dangerous, then she goes back to the Dollhouse.

I like the overall arc that they are trying to develop with the rogue Active, but if they don't start doing something more interesting in the individual episodes, I'll probably give it up. I liked Joss Whedon's previous shows (Buffy, Angel, Firefly), but I think he's really missed the mark on this one. Plus I'm tired of him whining about how the network is interfering with his work - that's part of his job, dealing with the network. If he wants to keep earning the huge money that he earns from them, he's going to have to learn to play well with others and stop complaining about it. Every single television and movie writer out there has to deal with studio execs and somehow they manage it without the constant carping.

MaryEllen, Animal Life Editor
Animal Life Website
Animal Life Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
This isn't on over here, although I was looking forward to it. I'm a huge, huge fan of Buffy. Although I never liked Firefly at all, and Angel was basically just a spin off. If Whedon is so annoyed with the network why doesn't he move? I'm sure plenty others would be pleased to have him. I don't understand why the character is being 'raped'? I thought the premise was she was a sex doll? Or is that wrong?

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"
M
Shark
Shark
M
She's not a doll, she's an actual person, but she has a different personality 'installed' for each assignment she gets, then afterwards the personality is erased, so she doesn't remember anything. So far the main point of the assignments has not been sexual, but it somehow seems to be a component of most of them.

Animal Life Website
Animal Life Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Thanks MaryEllen, well - I'll check it out when it makes its way on TV over here. It sounds interesting and I loved Buffy, some show's take a while to settle too (shrugs)

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
I keep hearing you ought to stick with it because after the first five episodes it gets better. I've been a fan of all Whedon's stuff, although Firefly was my favorite, so I hope that's true!

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I never watched Firefly - I saw the movie Serenity and didn't like it that much, but I LOVE, love, love Buffy - I think that it was pure genius, and I also liked Angel - I'm looking forward to Dollhouse, I love Eliza Dushku smile

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Originally Posted By: Horror_Movies_Editor
I never watched Firefly - I saw the movie Serenity and didn't like it that much, but I LOVE, love, love Buffy - I think that it was pure genius, and I also liked Angel - I'm looking forward to Dollhouse, I love Eliza Dushku smile

Steven, you are hereby banned from BellaOnline.

I can't believe you didn't like Serenity! When Jilly sees this you are gonna be in so much troubllllllleeeee!

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
M
Shark
Shark
M
Dollhouse is getting more interesting, they're developing some nice arcs and a good backstory. They're spending more time on the characters and less on the flash, which I enjoy.

Animal Life Website
Animal Life Forum
C
C
I've caught Dollhouse on a hit and miss basis. Want to like it since is Joss. I'm not fond of the exploitation theme either but am interested in some of the backstories. There are some mysteries to resolve, so I hope we get enough of it to understand who some of these people are or were.

Moderated by  Helen - SciFi TV 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.