Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
The book I was just reading talked about how you need to inspire yourself in the PRESENT tense. You have to focus on what you want to feel *now*.

So instead of saying "I will get healthy someday" you want to focus on "I am healthy now!" You focus on the right now. If you tell yourself that today will be a healthy day, then you will tend to BE healthy in your choices today. If instead you say "someday I will be healthy" then when an unhealthy choice comes along you are tempted to just go with the unhealthy option, since after all you won't be healthy until the future anyway.

Do you write your inspirations to yourself in the present tense? Does it help?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Zebra
Zebra
C
I've heard of this a lot lately especially in the book "A New Earth" about being present in the here and now. The past is over so it makes no sense to think about it and the future hasn't happened yet. The only thing that is real is now. The only thing that you can do anything about is now. I think it makes sense but it's so hard to get rid of all of the thoughts that we're conditioned with our entire lives.

FavoriteTraditions.com
Life's Special Moments
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
The past is important too. Without knowing the past you are doomed to repeat it.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chloe it is so true that it's hard to change your way of thinking! It certainly doesn't happen overnight. Still I do believe that one step at a time with little changes can add up to a big change!

Angie - definitely you never want to forget what you've learned over the years. We all have tons of experience to draw from. The thing is not to "wallow" in past mistakes smile You can't undo them! They're in the past. Resolve to make today a good day smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
I absolutely agree Lisa - and for the last couple of years I've made a point to state my affirmations in the present tense. Now I'm working on reprogramming myself so that those automatic thoughts are in the present positive too...

What book were you reading???

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
LOL good question, I have a review pile stacked up of self help books so I'm not sure now exactly which one it was. I think probably "the change your life challenge" which was a good one.

It is really hard for me to state affirmations in the present but I am working on it!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
I definitely have to make them believeable. Saying "I am a millionaire" just doesn't fly with my sub conscious LOL! But saying "I am creating a remarkable life" does.

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
I do my affirmations the Law of Attraction way (according to Michael J. Losier) which are in the present tense now that you mention it.

I don't say "I will be a best selling romance author..." That doesn't give me the same motivational zing as saying "I LOVE to THINK about being a best selling romance author."

That affirmation gives me a terrific boost and alleviates all doubt. I will accomplish that goal. No doubts.

And should some catastrophe happen and I don't achieve the goal, I will always be grateful for the little flame or what Charles Bukowski called "spark" that has stayed alive in me for years.

Last edited by leahmullen; 01/24/09 01:21 PM.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Deanna - that's a good point. If you say "I am a size zero" it might not make sense. But saying "I am attractive" would. You need to tailor your thoughts to what your actual mindset would be. "I can afford my necessities" for example. "I have money for little self-healing items" that sort of thing.

Leah - you bring up an awesome point. Even if you don't in the end reach some goals, it is far better to have spent the intervening years happy and optimistic, rather than sad and grumpy!!

Low Carb Forum

Moderated by  Yvonnie-Inspired 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.