logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#628285 09/13/10 11:43 AM
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
When I was a boy, my mother would always ask me if I was a (spelling ?)Grodzieniak or a Galiciak?

Just what does that mean?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
Shark
John... to tell the truth I have no idea... I tried to google it but the only result I had is sth in Russian frown

I would assume Galiciak is from Galicja (region of Krakow during partition) and Grodziak from Grodno. As Galicia (with Krakow) was in Austrian part, and Grodno was in Russian one, I would assume the question meant to check if somebody lived within Austrian or German part... so are you Galiciak or Grodziak, one would ask?

But John... this is only my assumption:)

Barbara Swiech, Polish Culture Editor
Polish Culture Website
Polish Culture Forum
BookAdvisor.Eu
Gecko
Gecko
JJ...this doesn't make sense to me as it is your mother asking so she would know. Maybe more background to the question would help. Was she quizzing you as to your knowledge. Why was she asking you this question.

Shark
Shark
Yeah, I thought of the same at the beginning. But then got this idea that maybe it was more teasing question (or queeze).
Especially that what ever she meant by the question, after couple of times asking she would already certainly know the answer... (maybe even without asking:) So certainly your grandma would not ask it to get to know sth she would not know about you:) especially that you do not know what she asked you about:)

Hmmm... Grodzieniak and Galiciak sound totally like names (nicknames) coming from names of those 2 places. As a Polish native speaker I, unfortunatelly, have no more associations with them...

John, whcih part of Poland did your mother come from?

Barbara Swiech, Polish Culture Editor
Polish Culture Website
Polish Culture Forum
BookAdvisor.Eu

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.