logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
I have my moments when I get "sick" of meat but will not try to hide the fact that I am not totally "vegetarian"...

Do you think not eating meat is healthy?

What other choices do you cook if you do not cook meat?

And I notice that there are different TYPES of vegetarians - some eat eggs/some don't, some eat diary/some don't and so on.

What type of vegetarian are you?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
Shark
Hi Angela,

I think not eating meat can be both healthy and unhealthy depending on your approach.

A vegetarian who focuses on packaged, sodium heavy, overly-processed foods, that just happen to be void of meat as well as usable nutrients, then it can be one of the worst things one can do for themselves.

Over the years I've seen folks "go vegetarian" and totally dismiss the fundamental needs of a healthy, well balanced diet. Sometimes there's a huge learning curve involved in becoming a vegetarian.

A vegetarian who focuses on natural, well balanced, nutrient rich, whole foods, can be an extremely healthy choice along with helping manage or overcome symptoms of disease.

At home, we don't bring in the non-vegetarian items. We eat gourmet and multi-cultural, so our selections seems pretty endless. While we're visiting family and friends, however, we're usually accommodate, but every now and then we come across a situation where our host[s] haevn't prepared a vegan meal or even made arrangements for our vegetarian lifestyles, so we graciously eat what we're offered in order to not insult our hosts. Fortunately, the majority of our travels, our hosts have been gracious enough to make arrangements or have been open to having us create a gourmet vegetarian feast or entree for everyone present. That's when it becomes really fun!!! grin

Hope this helps and answers your questions. Let me know! and thanks for your post.

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Jason, thanks smile

Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?

I am from Jamaica, my boyfriend is from the US.

When you said "multi cultural" my radar went up (lol)

Originally Posted By: Jason - Vegetarian/PC
Hi Angela,

I think not eating meat can be both healthy and unhealthy depending on your approach.

A vegetarian who focuses on packaged, sodium heavy, overly-processed foods, that just happen to be void of meat as well as usable nutrients, then it can be one of the worst things one can do for themselves.

Over the years I've seen folks "go vegetarian" and totally dismiss the fundamental needs of a healthy, well balanced diet. Sometimes there's a huge learning curve involved in becoming a vegetarian.

A vegetarian who focuses on natural, well balanced, nutrient rich, whole foods, can be an extremely healthy choice along with helping manage or overcome symptoms of disease.

At home, we don't bring in the non-vegetarian items. We eat gourmet and multi-cultural, so our selections seems pretty endless. While we're visiting family and friends, however, we're usually accommodate, but every now and then we come across a situation where our host[s] haevn't prepared a vegan meal or even made arrangements for our vegetarian lifestyles, so we graciously eat what we're offered in order to not insult our hosts. Fortunately, the majority of our travels, our hosts have been gracious enough to make arrangements or have been open to having us create a gourmet vegetarian feast or entree for everyone present. That's when it becomes really fun!!! grin

Hope this helps and answers your questions. Let me know! and thanks for your post.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I "almost" don't eat meat. Lol..if there is such a thing. The only meat that I still eat is Turkey and of course seafood if you consider that meat. My goal is to give up turkey by January 1, 2012. I agree with Jason as well. Just the fact that I don't eat pork and red meat (or chicken/eggs) alone does not make my diet "healthier" than the next person if I don't eat healthy in other areas. However, I do think that the steriods that are put in meat today help to contribute to a lot of our commom sicknesses and ailments that eating a meat-free diet can lesson your risk of getting. My kids don't eat pork or beef but there's no chance of me getting them to give up chicken! lol

Last edited by Maria Brown - Freebies; 01/09/11 05:49 PM.
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Maria, thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I do like pork once in a while, turkey, hmmmm - not too keen on. Will eat if really hungry and nothing else is available. The same with ham, don't like it - but if starving will eat it. Now, chicken - that is my favorite, but I only like the bony parts like the wings. I just cannot do too much meat in one day. I have heard seafood is the best way to go, I just cannot get past the smell of crab (lol). Girl, I have to leave the house when my boyfriend cooks it - note, he cooks it not me (lol). Angela smile

Originally Posted By: Maria Brown - Freebies
I "almost" don't eat meat. Lol..if there is such a thing. The only meat that I still eat is Turkey and of course seafood if you consider that meat.

My goal is to give up turkey by January 1, 2012. I agree with Jason as well. Just the fact that I don't eat pork and red meat (or chicken/eggs) alone does not make my diet "healthier" than the next person if I don't eat healthy in other areas.

However, I do think that the steriods that are put in meat today help to contribute to a lot of our commom sicknesses and ailments that eating a meat-free diet can lesson your risk of getting. My kids don't eat pork or beef but there's no chance of me getting them to give up chicken! lol

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Is eating meat healthy? Well, it's not so healthy for the animal.

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
LOL, Lori!

Angela smile

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Angela,

I haven't eaten pork in over 10 years. I stopped eating beef about 9 years ago. I stopped eating chicken about 2 years ago and will give up turkey by the end of this year. Now seafood...I LOVE seafood! I'm from Maryland and it's hard to imagine a life that doesn't include eating blue crabs!

Gecko
Gecko
My aunt stopped eating meat when she kept having gall bladder attacks. Sausage and pork were the worst for her. (She used to do the Atkins diet, too) She now hasn't had a gall bladder attack for a while. She also doesn't eat a lot of fried veggies or creamy, rich foods.

When I was veggie - I felt "lighter". Like Jason says - you have to have to have a healthy, well-balanced diet. I need to learn to incorporate more "protein" in my meals. I think I am missing out on protein when I go veggie..

Seafood - yeah - shrimp will be hard to give up....

Robin Rounds Whittemore
Card Games Editor
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Maria, alot of "Rastas" and other religions in my island (Jamaica, West Indies) think pork is "unclean" - yes, they may be right due to the eating habits of the pigs - but I have to eat it once in awhile when the urge hits me (lol). As I age, now 52, I go ahead and eat what I feel like as I know that if I try not to, I end up eating too much when I do break down and eat the forbidden food. Thanks for sharing with us, Angela

Originally Posted By: Maria Brown - Freebies
Angela,

I haven't eaten pork in over 10 years. I stopped eating beef about 9 years ago. I stopped eating chicken about 2 years ago and will give up turkey by the end of this year. Now seafood...I LOVE seafood! I'm from Maryland and it's hard to imagine a life that doesn't include eating blue crabs!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.