Print Thread
#833038 08/08/13 03:34 PM
G
GrannyH Offline OP
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
G
Here's the background - My sister and a really good friend of hers took apart a quilt the really good friend's mother had made years ago. It showed definite signs of wear and the friend wanted my sister to help her refresh it. It has, since then, been taking up residence at my sister's house. Unfortunately the good friend passed away unexpectedly, leaving my sister with 30 quilt blocks. The good friend has 2 children and 3 grandchildren.

Here's where we need your opinion - I offered my help and your opinion to my sister to decide what she should do with the blocks.

Should we

1) make 2 small bed quilts for the 2 children that would be too small to use;

2) add some plan blocks and make 3 (for the grandchildren) small quilts that they will soon outgrow;

3) make 5 wall hangings of 6 blocks each that will never be outgrown;

4) give the blocks back to one of the children and hope they have something made from them;

or 5) an entirely different option.

I'm going to thank you in advance, because we really need some level-headed advice.

GrannyH

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
lmm Offline
L
I personally like the idea of wall hangings, with a label on the back providing information about the original blocks and any new blocks and why the wall hangings were created.

What a Lovely thing you are both doing. I think I would go the extra mile and make 2 Double Bed Size Quilts. 1 for each of your friends children. I would add some Plain Blocks and some Heart Blocks to make up the numbers. They could then pass them onto their own Children if they want to.That way at least the Quilts will get full use and I think more likely to be used for generations.I would love to see Photos of finished items. Good Luck.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Yes, I'm more inclined to go for the wallhanging idea. That way the hanging will contain all the blocks made by their loved one. A wall hanging will probably last longer than a bed quilt, and can be put up in all manner of situations.

A lovely thing you're doing GrannyH, keep up the great work.

Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
G
G
I would go with the wall hangings. If the blocks are already showing some wear, wall hangings would be a gentler method to preserve the blocks. Plus the wall hangings will probably displayed so the family members will actually get to enjoy them as opposed to setting a closet for "preservation".

Good luck with your project.

Last edited by GallopingButterfly; 08/13/13 07:01 PM.

Galloping Butterfly
E
E
Here's something a bit left of centre. If you have 30 blocks, divide them by 5 ( which is the 2 children & 3 grandchildren), that equals 6 blocks each. I would make a memory book of Mum/Gran for each person and incorporate their designated 6 blocks. Tell her story on the blank pages, perhaps with some printed photos of her & her work. I did that for each of my 4 sisters when my mother died & I used some if her clothes as well, as each small piece of fabric triggered a special memory in each of my sister's hearts. Sometimes wall hangings get put in cupboards if they don't fit decor or have any special meaning, but a memory book lasts forever & isn't seasonal.

G
GrannyH Offline OP
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
G
Thanks so much to each of you for your input. Imm, I'm happy for the label reminder. I hadn't thought of that. ellietess, the Memory Book is a wonderful idea, but not workable in this situation. I am going to keep it in mind for someone closer to me. wink

I think we will be going with the wall hanging idea. If we did 4-block wall hangings we'd have enough blocks for throw pillow covers and that might help in the 'decor' situation (suitable for the guest bedroom when Grandpa comes to visit). sleep

We'll be doing something over the winter, so if you have other suggestions in the next few months, please add them here.

Again, THANKS. GrannyH

I guess I'm coming from another angle here, but why wouldn't your sister finish the original project? It seems you would finish the project, label it with the history that is known and give it to the eldest child to figure out what to do with. It seems it would be more likely to be cherished in one piece rather than in pieces. Respectfully asking of course. In my family, I believe I am the only child that would appreciate such a piece, and I believe my siblings would agree. Perhaps your sister could ask the two children of her friend.

G
GrannyH Offline OP
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
G
Sorry, hpiner, for not responding before now.

You are probably on to something. The reason this is in pieces is because they were going to replace and remake, and maybe that is just exactly what should be done. Knowing the 2 children, I think my sister would be the eventual owner. I'll talk it over with her, then we'll start doing something soon.

Again thanks for all the input.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
I would also recommend the wall hanging idea. They look too old and precious to be handled or used too much by children.

Launa Stout
Kids Crafts/Books

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.