logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#703903 07/27/11 02:56 AM
G
OP Offline
G
:)Hello Everyone, Can anyone give me advice please? I have just purchased an American quilt top c.1900's that is is need of some loving repairs. It is all hand stitched and some of the seams are worn very thin and are fraying, there are also places where the fabric has almost worn through in the middle of a piece. Has anybody got any tips on the best way to repair without totally replacing pieces? If I was to go down that route, would I need to unpick the hand stitching and insert? I'm looking forward to any help, this is all very new to me.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
I am in no way a restoration expert, and I've never repaired a quilt but let me tell you what I've seen done ~~

I have seen where very thin sheer fabric (maybe even netting) was hand sown over the worn places. The quilt is not repaired, and doesn't look it; but the fraying and wear are stopped or slowed down. I am assuming you don't intend to use the quit, simply add it to a collection or show it off.

If you do intend to use the quilt, we'll have to wait for another suggestion. Until then.....

Happy quilting, GrannyH

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Unfortunately, I'm unable to help you Gardengit! Not ever restored an old quilt. I'm sure there's lots of quilters who can give you advice, like Granny H. Thanks quilters.

Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
S
S
You said it was a quilt top-not a quilt? Pulling out stitches and replacing fabric is the only way to restore if that much damage is done. You can find fabric close enough to what is there. Be sure you get all cotton. Depending on the wear of the rest of the quilt you can age your new fabric to make it fit in. See? The sewing is the easiest part! Keep us posted. Sawgrass Cottage

L
L
Hi, Gardengitl. I'm new to this web site, but I have been involved in repairing old quilts. Normally, the most important thing is to DO NOTHING THAT CANNOT BE UNDONE! If you have patches that have totally disintegrated or are pretty ragged, DO NOT remove and replace them. Just applique a new patch over the old one. That way, 50 years from now, if the quilt turns out to be valuable to someone, they can completely restore it if they want. Likewise, if the binding is all frayed, just apply a new one over the old. The exception might be if the batting has fallen to pieces. My Mom gave me a quilt that my Grandmother made in the 1940's. The batting was lumped into marble-sized balls in some places, and other areas had no batting at all. Some of the patches, especially the red colors, had disintegrated completely. The quilt was tied, so I carefully removed the ties and the binding stitches, and discarded the balls of batting. I resewed (by hand) the block seams that had come undone, and then placed the top directly on the original backing. I added new batting, and a new backing, and retied the quilt (through the original holes - they were VERY visible!) using a thick dark purple crochet thread that matched the original ties color as closely as possible. When Grandma made the quilt and tied it, she used black crochet thread, but it had faded to dark purple by the time I got the quilt. I put some of the original thread ties under a small patch on the back of the quilt. Using the original backing under the quilt top meant I didn't really need to cover the disintegrated patches on the top, because the batting couldn't come through. I just hand stitched the holes to the original backing. The point of my long story is, do not do anything to an interesting old quilt that cannot be undone. I hope this helps. Loreda

Last edited by Loreda; 09/18/11 07:39 AM.
P
P
Loreda makes a good point about repairing a quilt in a way so that it can be "undone". I have a little (baby?) quilt that was made out of fabric samples probably from the 50s or 60s. It has a pink flannel backing and 1" binding. It will look so much better with a darker binding, probably green. I am going to leave the old binding in place when I put the green over it...this year!

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Thanks Loreda and Piecemaker for your advice and comments. I particularly enjoyed your description of what things do to for disintegrating patches. In Australia, old antique quilts are fairly rare (we have only been here 220 years, and we didn't really have a big quilting culture. Having said that, we do have a number of beautiful quilts in our museums that are historically very significant for us Aussies), so it's good to have some advice from those "in the know".

Thanks Loreda.

Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.