Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

Hi everyone, I recently received the following request from Diane:
I love your letters. I live in the US and am having trouble finding a really small thimble. Some say that a child's thimble is size 5 other sites say 7. My ring size is about a 3 3/4 so it is very small. I regular small just doesn't work. Do you have a suggestion

If you have any ideas, please post them here for all to see.
Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
Diane might consider trying to make her own leather thimble using scraps of leather. It appears she has such tiny hands. Otherwise, perhaps a specialty sewing shop might handle very small thimbles such as the jelly thimbles. I see some at Everything Quilts

Q
Q
Roxanne's thimbles are sized like a ring and should be fitted like a ring. I have a 3 1/2, which is a bit large in the winter. I have learned to moisten my finger before putting on the thimble in the winter, and it stays on. I also have long fingernails and find that the small leather dots that fit on the end of my finger work very, very well, instead of a thimble

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Thanks Quiltknit1, I've heard of Roxanne's thimbles. Thanks for the heads up. Hope this helps Diane and others looking for teeny thimbles.
Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham

M
M
Judie, I noticed in a quilting shop several brands of stick on thimbles that might work for Diane. Had never considered it a problem until I read Diane's question and so they caught my eye hung on the notions display. Cheers Morag

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Thanks Morag, I'm sure there's more quilters out there who struggle with a thimble that is too big. I've always known about the tip to put moisture on your finger before you don the thimble, that certainly works for me and my silver thimble. I don't know what I'd do without my thimble. I do a lot of needleturn applique and use a No. 12 needle which pierces your skin very easily. I've tried to "grow" a callous like guitar players do, but it just won't happen. I guess I have my hands in water too often, and the skin stays soft.

Oh! I know, stop housework, that will do it!!

Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham

Q
Q
I have a size 5 thimble that I found when I had a quilting shop. I have many thimbles so that anyone coming in could quilt on our community quilt while visiting the shop. I have since retired and would be happy to pass this tiny thimble onto Diane if you can pass my email address on to her so we can exchange mailing addresses. The thimble is Sterling and only measures 9mm from one side to the other on the inside bottom. I wear a 10 and when it is too loose I just rap tape or a bandaid around my finger and then put the thimble on. Works really well and the thimble doesn't shift.

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.