logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
msbaby Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Some years ago my mom bought one of those preprinted quilt tops with center medallions that were based on historic designs. After I finished quilting (they take a while to complete!) the piece, I rolled it up and put it away. I haven't got a clue what I might be able to do with it.

Do you add strips to the tops and sides to make a bed size quilt and then quilt patterns on those areas? Has anyone ever tackled this project? I would love some suggestions as it seems a shame for all that hard work to be stuck in a closet.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Hello, msbaby.

It doesn't appear that any of us are being of any help to you. I wonder if that is because we are not sure what you actually have. If it is what I envision, I would not distract from the look of it by adding the extra material necessary to make it large enough for a bed. I would maybe add a border, then bind it and use it either as a wall hanging (add curtain tabs or a rod pocket so you can hang it) or as a couch throw.

I hope you find a way to display your hard work and talent.

GrannyH

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
msbaby Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I had thought about using it as a wall hanging (kind of like a wall tapestry?) but just didn't have the right room for it. The fabric is an off white or oatmeal color and if it weren't for the quilting it would be really non-descript. I had fun quilting it, but just don't have a clue what to do with it now that I'm through and I hate for it just to be sitting there. My friend and I have a running joke about not wanting to leave a chest full of gorgous quilt tops for somebody else to get to quilt and I kind of feel the same way about this piece. I want to be the one to do something neat with it. :-)

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
It sounds like it would make a lovely crib quilt. Then you wouldn't need to add more than maybe a narrow border and binding.

msbaby Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
That's probably the best use for it in fact probably what it was intended to be. The only thing that has held me back from binding it and using it for that purpose is that I honestly don't know how many washings those tiny stitches would make it through. But, as I can't come up with a better use I'm beginning to like that idea better.

I have a few double bed size stamped quilt tops waiting to be quilted when I have time that came from the same company. They are such easy quilting that the slow progress doesn't bother me that much. I did a search for historic or Smithsonian Collection stamped quilt tops so that y'all could have a look and get a better idea of what I was talking about, but couldn't find an exact match to the one I have.

My mother said that the reason she has several on hand is because when she ordered her last one, they told her they were not going to carry them any longer. I found some similar at The Stencil Company under the preprinted wall hanging and crib quilt section, but the edges of the ones they have are more elaborate than mine.

G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Seems like you may be on the right track using it as a crib quilt, but I have wondered what it might look like on the table in a formal dining room. You'd still have the "will it stand up to laundrying" question. Wish we could see what it is.

Happy Quilting, GrannyH

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I think the stitching would be fine. How many heirloom quilts are still in existence after being washed on a washboard?

I also like the idea of using it on a dining table. That would be beautiful.

msbaby Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I don't know how well it would show up in a photo even if I had a place to post it. I have a baby grand piano, I wonder how it would look with a vase of flowers or picture frames? It's low loft, but I suppose might look clunky because it wouldn't have the drape of a piano scarf. I think the dining table idea might work the best. I could put a centerpiece of some kind on it and remove it when the table was being used which is not that often.

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.