Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
I'm sure you've gotten accustomed to getting two or three articles a week, and have wondered why I've been slacking the past week or so. Here's the deal:

First, my family has been trying to kill me with any one of the various illness going around this season. I've not gotten strep, H1N1, pneumonia, or just the run-of-the-mill flu that my wife and kids have had this season, but I can tell my body's been working overtime to fight everything off, so my energy level hasn't been as high as it usually is. The result: a little less energy for the softball site resulting in less articles.

All that said, the real reason I've not written as much as in the past is because I'm working on some huge softball projects that are taking a lot of time to research. Some of these are:

1) Determining the best softball bat sizes for girls aged 7 to 14. This has involved obtaining and measuring 3 dozen or so bats, and then having a bunch of girls swing them measuring their bat speed, then crunching the numbers to determine a model that the average coach or parent can use. If I were going for a doctorate in statistics or physiology, this would be a perfect project (hmmm...something to consider for the future). I hope to have the experiments done by the end of the year and then publish the results in the next few months after.

2) Determining exactly how effective "little ball" is in Fast Pitch softball for College Softball. This is the project taking the most of my free time, as I'm having to collect data by hand from various game logs from this past season. I hope to identify such things as exactly when does it make sense to bunt, how effective bunting is, how effective slap hitting is, what situations should the steal be executed, and such.

3) Finally, I'm looking to dive deeper into the Division 1 season stats on which I've already written. However, I'm taking the time to learn "R" (which is a statistical analysis application) because I want to check out some pretty esoteric stuff -- more than I can do with my SPSS software or an Excel spreadsheet.

I will still write at least an article a week while working on these projects, but the number of articles may be closer to 1 than the 3 that you are used to reading. My apologies in advance for that, but I hope the resulting articles from the projects listed above will be worth the wait!

Don McKay, Softball Editor
Softball Site
Softball Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Don - take care of yourself!!!

If you wind up in the hospital, you won't be writing ANY articles! sick

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
But there's plenty of time to rest when I die, right?

Softball Site
Softball Forum
D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
I've completed a preliminary analysis on bunting in softball. The results are very intriguing...but I'm not ready to write about them yet.

I've also determined a better statistic than baseball's OPS for determining a Softball batter's effectiveness. Again -- I'm not quite ready to write on this.

Just wanted to let all my readers know that I've been busy working softball stuff, even if I haven't been writing as much as usual.

Softball Site
Softball Forum

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.